Geisinger Health System

Geisinger Health System Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
3.1

Geisinger Health System President and CEO Glenn D. Steele Jr.
Glenn D. Steele Jr.

Pros
  • Good Pay - best pay in the area (in 4 reviews)

• The best part of being here is simply job security, health benefits at a cheap cost and retirement (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A disjoint between upper management and everyone else, despite management's efforts (in 3 reviews)

• The current hiring freeze has hit myself and fellow graduate nurses hard (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

An Unexpected Healthcare Gem

Current Employee - Chaplain Resident  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Chaplain Resident in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

An organization-wide focus on using data from research and experience to provide the best possible patient care. Great support for people who want to grow in their field. Opportunities in all aspects of healthcare, with motivated colleagues from around the world.

Cons

There is intensifying pressure to find ways to do more with less resources, both from a culture of continuous improvement and from a marketplace heavily influenced by one consumer that is less able to pay for requested services each year.

Keep engaging the knowledge, insights, and ideas of the excellent people delivering great care at every level of the system.

I love going to work every day

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many benefits, an excellent work environment. Geisinger provides many wellness opportunities for employees.

Cons

There are no cons to working at Geisinger.

A robust and meaningful spiritual care learning environment.

Current Employee - Chaplain-Resident  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Chaplain-Resident in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tradition of chaplaincy and spiritual care stretching back decades. Chaplains integrated with healthcare throughout the hospital. Opportunity to learn in classroom and in practice from experienced professionals.

Cons

Not much social life in North Central PA. Culturally about 20 years behind the rest of the US (though I guess that could be a pro as well in some ways)

Keep engaging the treasure-trove of ideas and ability of the many people who make the Geisinger System go. They are the real strength of this system that continues to evolve new ways of bringing great affordable health care to a rural area.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

overview of the it department

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Pay - best pay in the area

Cons

Management questionable decisions and promotions

good and bad

I have been working at Geisinger Health System for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent pay.
    Working environment depends a lot on your department.
    Job security.
    Nice people with some exceptions.

Cons

Elitism and arrogance at the higher levels.
    Understaffed for the growth ambition.
    The insurance/hospital relationship is shady. How can the insurer and the provider technically be one and the same?

Even if I had advice I doubt they'd listen.

Geisinger is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Danville, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everybody feels like they make an impact on the patient, not just the physician and nurses

Cons

Pay is low, but living in Danville is cheap so it's not terrible

Keep up the good work!!

Good Career choice- depending on what department you land in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Progressive health system-leader in health care, innovative. Truly focused on hiring bright, talented Physicians and Specialists.

Cons

certain departments have high turnover, in part due to the cliques that are prominent. Watched many new college grads arrive with high hopes of fitting in and starting a promising career, only to be knocked down by leadership cliques. Especially true if you are an above average looking young woman. The other women, supposed leaders, can be brutal. Not all departments, worked in several that were just bad-.

most middle managers really have no power/guts to do what is in the best interest of the department.

There's a reason I left, and a reason I came back

Current Employee - Workstation Analyst  in  Danville, PA
    Current Employee - Workstation Analyst in Danville, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System full-time for more than a year

Pros

For the Company:
    - Large medical facility, providing excellent patient care in a rural setting
    - Excellent time off plan, if you're full-time
    - Excellent benefits from day one, if you're full-time
    - Excellent health insurancem if you're full-time
    - Room to grow professionally
    - Collaborative atmosphere
    - Interested in providing excellent patient care
    - Gives back to the community
    - Selectively taking on other clinics and hospitals in the area, to prevent their dissolution, and to maintain quality care for the region
    - Physicians work for the hospital, not at/from it.
    - Geisinger was an early adopter of EMR (EPIC), and put a lot of effort into building and maintaining its IT

For my department:
    - No micro-managing
    - Friendly coworkers and team-mates
    - Ability to work independently
    - Management has my back in most cases
    - Management is very understanding of time off needs and work/life balance
    - Management is approachable
    - Team building stuff, such as fitness challenges, picnics, etc.

Cons

For the company:
    - Hard to get hired. I started through the in house temp, and when a position was specifically created for me to go full-time, HR's applicant tracking system said I was unqualified.
    - If you're not full-time, you're not going to get much of anything
    - Doctor's often have god complexes and ridiculous egos
    - Nursing staff feels overworked and under-appreciated
    - A general sense of being too large
    - A disjoint between upper management and everyone else, despite management's efforts

For IT:
    - IT is goo large, and too departmentally fractured to work effectively.
    - Collaboration is in name only

For my department:
    - IT as a whole is so large that it often feels like teams are working against each other
    - A sense of distrust / blaming / etc between teams
    - Undercurrent of favoritism

For starters - fix the hiring practices! Ditch the applicant tracking system that HR uses. A position opened for the exact job I had been doing for over a year as an internal temp for, and the ATS deemed me unqualified. The department leader had to track down a member of HR, get them to fish through the system to find my resume, and then put me in the running for the position - and I was most qualified.

It's not that you're turning down good applicants, you're not even seeing that they have applied!

Secondly - be less modest in your portrayal of the hospital system. Yeah, you have problems, but you're also doing a lot of things right for the system and for the community; start playing it up. Address the undercurrent of the system being a monopoly, and of stagnation, and the like. You don't need to address every little pip, but don't let the big stuff slide like you do.

If you want to "Make it the best," then show your best when it's called into question.

Moving on to IT, specifically - we're huge. We're so huge that employees are now specialized in job responsbilities and abilities to the point that if one team or point of contact is unavailable, workflow grinds to a halt. It's great to have leadership support of maintaing infrastructure, but let the work get a little more streamlined.

I am currently working as a tech here, it is an excellent learning experience.

Current Employee - Emergency Room Tech  in  Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Emergency Room Tech in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Geisinger Health System part-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is very friendly.
    If you ever need anything all the staff, doctors included, would love to go out of their way to help.
    They do a lot of community service as groups that makes it a very good experience if you are interested.
    Work hours are very flexible around school schedules if needed.

Cons

I work in the emergency room so you see some things not all people can stomach.

Outstanding Learning Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Danville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Danville, PA

I worked at Geisinger Health System as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Innovative, encourages new ideas, focused on quality outcomes,

Cons

Bureocracry. Several layers of management to get through before a decision can be made.

Worked for Geisinger Health System? Contribute to the Community!