Gemalto

Updated December 19, 2014
3.4

Gemalto CEO and Director Olivier Piou
Olivier Piou

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, rarely overtime required (in 8 reviews)

• Installations and working environment are very nice (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • HR "career advancement" is a joke (in 4 reviews)

• Career path sometimes can be a bit obscure (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Development Intern

Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Development Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Gemalto as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They gave me an exciting project to work on. It was a new technology which did not had more than few thousand developers in the whole world. I studied everything on my own and finished my part of the work.

Cons

No immediate attention and managers were too busy to solve every single doubt I had. Should have been much more interactive and interesting.

Everything was perfect but they should hire more of such interns and have them work on different projects.

Great Place to Work to develop a Career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gemalto full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Many opportunities for mobility within the company.
    - Most of the executive staff has been promoted from within.
    - Many opportunities for training.
    - Opportunity to work overseas

Cons

Need a better entry level employment program.

Good apprenticeship

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Gemalto as an intern

Pros

- good team spirit
    - good training
    - good team building
    - free coffee

Cons

repetitive work
    projects development slow down due to difficulties to change

Layoff company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gemalto full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company, Nice people and good team spirit.

Cons

They hire for new projects, then they lay off after finishing it or if they loose it because of the bad management. they even don't give a notice when they do it, some of us got laid off when they were on vacation visiting their families.I don't recommend this company for anybody on H1B visa.

Take care of your employees and don't risk their life.

Slow to adapt but solid performance

Current Employee - Technical Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gemalto full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great first job. If it's not your first job, but you have experience, you will definitely be expected to hit the ground running. I consider these both pros because if your experience is valued, or you have energy to burn, you will be put to use. You basically have two years to prove yourself. First year is to find your right fit and for management to assess your energy level. Second year is to see if you have adjusted to your new 'stretch goal'.

I have been fortunate to have excellent managers whom I could trust professionally and who have challenged me along the way. Many are not so fortunate, however. My direct managers are why I am still here.

Regardless of the situation, we always get the job done.

Cons

If you are looking for a dot.com rocket ride or most everything that the tech journals/press laud about "high tech" companies, keep looking. Things are fast-paced because everything is understaffed. Always. Managers are selected early in their careers, groomed and promoted. That's not to say that this doesn't work well-enough in general, however, if you're 7-8 years in and not yet a manager, you won't be. HR "career advancement" is a joke. I've never seen anyone, other than management, switch verticals (e.g. from telecom to M-2-M, or any other vertical) successfully. Promotion is usually up or out.

If your manager is in France (most are, once you reach a certain level) you will be competing against the locals over there for resources and time/energy/interest from your manager. It's only natural, but it's terrible professionally. Your manager, and his/her (most are men) respect level from their manager have a tremendous impact on your ability to make an impact for the company.

And as for "getting the job done, regardless of the circumstances" - this quickly leads to burnout, because lessons are rarely learned by the organization. Rinse, repeat.

If you want to keep experienced staff around: 1) listen to them and actually take some actions based on their considered opinion, 2) encourage them to interact with their international colleagues. This can be a strength of the company and encourage long-term retention, but other than for the "young bucks", there are no opportunities to mingle cross-vertical, and barely within the business unit. You say to our customers hat this is a strength of our company. You talk of investment. Do so. Seems that we have money for acquisitions (just read the news), but staff development is always the first thing to get cut.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gemalto full-time

Pros

Nothing you can say not fun at all

Cons

management is the worst, you wouldnt feel safe there they can say bye bye anytime

Security to be free

Current Employee - Management Position in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Management Position in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gemalto full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Leader in its niche, fair company to work for. Huge market in US.

Cons

salaries below average market value

If you want to advance, you can. If you wish to stagnate, that's your call too.

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gemalto full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay - anecdotally/above average for the area
    Good Benefits - insurance coverage as good as you can get, many side benefits also - counseling, etc. available
    Technically Challenging - you will learn every day
    Good People - we are devoted to our customers and projects
    Diversity - as diverse a workplace as I've seen, in every office I've visited
    Travel - world wide travel is possible (probable?) if you're in the right niche(s)
    Caring Employees - if there is a bump in your personal road, your fellow employees and mgmt will be there for you

Cons

Burnout is possible - to those who can't say no, you will be worked hard (learn to say no)
    Diversity - the down side is that you can get excluded on some occasions because of the large numbers of people from other lands, they will (occasionally) lapse into their mother tongue during one on one discussions.

Be a little more careful about process for the sake of process. Yes, following the rules is important but the ability to show a little agility is a good thing.

I saw the review from another current employee who had nothing but bad things to say - for sure anyone can have a bad experience within any company, you are one of them. I have been around for a long time and can say that, on the whole, this is a great place to work - for sure I can't imagine leaving. I'm not in mgmt, and won't ever be - but have always been able to work with my manager or go over their head to get things done.

Techincal Manager

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gemalto full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to grow.
    - Cutting edge technology.
    - Promotion within.
    - stability , company shares have tripled in 3 years.
    - All big operators are GTO customers.
    - Diversity.

Cons

- Fast growth leaded to some bad hires.
    - Unknown in US market to attract the right skills.
    - focus on low cost centers and off shoring

Quality can lead to margin.
    work on promoting GTO as a good company to work for.

Leader in smartcards, excellent experience abroad even for tech people. Hard to progress.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Gemalto full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In Mexico they have very good benefit packages including health insurance for you and your direct family members. Not much benefit from that for singles however.
    You get experience abroad, as there may be projects that carry out in other Gemalto branches. But employee expenses are limited and you usually don't even get a rental car.
    Yearly there's a program for all employees in which stocks can be bought at a discount.

Cons

Even though Gemalto has a lot of employees worldwide, the engineering branches themselves are small and thus progress is very hard. Managers can have a lot of people reporting to them and will tend to stay in their positions for long. Here your soft skills could give you more career advancement than your technical abilities.
    Company reviews are based on a standard distribution approach, which has more weight than your experience or company seniority.
    There is a strong distinction between manager vs non manager employees. As a manager you can get preferential parking spots, additional vacation days, car stipend bonus, etc.

Give more ample room for employee progress, where it doesn't solely depend from their line manager point of view. Foster more leadership roles for technical people.