Gemalto Reviews

Reset
3.5
Gemalto CEO and Director Olivier Piou
Olivier Piou

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, rarely overtime required (in 8 reviews)

• Installations and working environment are very nice (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • HR "career advancement" is a joke (in 4 reviews)

• Career path sometimes can be a bit obscure (in 4 reviews)

1. PM

I worked at Gemalto full-time

Pros

good working environment, enterprise culture.

Cons

I don't like the HR very mcuh

2. I'd do it again, I learned loads!

I worked at Gemalto

Pros

Great team, my pm was super awesome and kept me informed about all the goings on in the team the whole way

Cons

I felt a distinct lack of direction for a little while during the internship while the team was in the middle of a transitional period, but nothing major. I would have liked a few more pointers for the programs and tools used, but it did help me learn on my own faster.

Advice to Management

A bit more communication. The team talked about all issues, but most days I just got my assignment, checked emails, and was left to my own to complete tasks. Was great for focus and getting the job done, but a bit isolated

3. Very nice company

Former Employee - Security Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Security Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Gemalto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are very friendly and work well together. Management shows a better initiative to help improve employee development

Cons

Lots of internal "company speak" that new employees may find hard to understand. There will be a learning curve.

5. A few bad apples

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gemalto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great international multicultural teams Everyone is willing to help each other Strong financial controls and reporting at the customer level Individual feedback is valued Many are 10+ year veterans

Cons

Poor middle management (divisional level) Reliance on visas instead of an (employee) attractive workplace for retention Lack of top down holistic HR approach regarding products and roadmap department requirements Every department works in a silo'd approach with regard to their metrics Management promoted based upon success in previous role and not ability to perform current role

Advice to Management

Hire more Americans, be attractive as a local employer. Cooperate at the world-wide level and break down barriers between divisions.

6. Gemalto is a really great company with great products

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gemalto (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a good company with great cutting edge products. I really like being a part of it. I enjoy going to work every day and like everyone in the office. There are a lot of very nice people working here. The flexibility is great. If i have an errand to run, I can leave the office if work permits and go do it. No problem! 401K matching and (sometimes) stock purchase benefits are available.

Cons

If you speak French, you have it made at Gemalto. If you are American, you will be lucky if you ever get in management. There are a few VP level American managers at our office, most are French. However, they are men. If you are a lady, your chances of getting into management are in the "miracle" category. Along these lines, at Gemalto you are probably working for a French person. Many times this person is actually in France. This is problematic, because your French manager will provide resources and time to the people he sees in front of him... in France. You are in the US, so you will often draw the short straw. Objectives are written in broken English, so may be difficult to understand. Phone calls and emails from your manager may be equally as cryptic. It is very difficult to get a raise at Gemalto. Definitely negotiate what you want at the get go. There will be low and few increases after you join. Hard work is not rewarded. You are always told that you were "expected" to do the things you do, even if you work insanely hard on things that are not in your objectives. This goes back to above, low raises. Perhaps they don't want to give you credit for your work, or else they may have to give you a raise. If you need a pat on the back for your good work, this is not the place for you. You will probably only get feedback if there is an issue that needs modification. It is hit and miss as far as management goes. You could be lucky and get a good manager, but most of the managers are promoted for being great developers, and are not the best managers. There is a lot of politics going on. It is not conducive to good teamwork. It is kind of an every man for himself type atmosphere. Your manager's top priority is looking good. If you are one of those people who likes to come to the office and work and go home, get ready to learn about politics!

Advice to Management

Mandatory management training every year for any manager who is managing people. Teach a "How to work with French people for Americans" class. Allow employees to review their managers.

QA Lead

Current Employee - QA Lead in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - QA Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at Gemalto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity and good benefits. Good Management.

Cons

R&D center so teams could be let go off if the experiment does not work.

"Un Café?" is not a business strategy

I worked at Gemalto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great place for launching a career -There are a lot of exciting changes happening at Gemalto, so there is an opportunity to grow both vertically and horizontally. -Truly an international company. You do get international experience (even if you have to jump on 6:00 am conference calls to get it)

Cons

-Some people are really great, but others are complete wastes of any time and effort. -You will be used and Gemalto will not think twice while doing it. They might make you think they have your best interest at heart, but they don't. Don't be fooled. -Pay is below average -You have to deal with expats that use their contract in the US to "soak up the finer things in life" and not contribute to any relative work. -Worse of all, if you have never worked in France you will have zero opportunity of ever managing or progressing past a certain point. Ask yourself this - Why would Gemalto put a French man in charge of the Americas? Because he's French and that's how Gemalto operates.

Advice to Management

People are not an expendable resource; treat them better. ALSO, and most importantly, the French are not god's gift to the earth; so stop acting like it and promote based on skill and not nationality. "Un Café?", All day is not a great business strategy!

Not a place for American's to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Gemalto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique vertical, not enough competition. Good benefit.

Cons

French culture, bringing people from France/Speaks French instead of hiring local who understand US culture. So, if you're not French or speak French then this not the place for you.

The company is very diverse. Nice place to work in.

I have been working at Gemalto

Pros

The company is very diverse. People are very friendly to work with. You work lot of people from Different countries.

Cons

Current Salary needs to be improved. Office benefits can be improved with better recreation room or quiet room for prayer.

11. Software Engineer

I worked at Gemalto

Pros

Good HR programs Team events Good benefits/plans Diversity organization structure

Cons

Worst management Politics No guarantee to job. Anytime you can be sent back without notice No support for learning No job satisfaction No technical growth Obsolete technologies

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right Give them freedom to explore Give some time to learn Give some warning/hint before sending home

RSS Feed </> Embed