Gemological Institute of America

Updated February 22, 2015
42 reviews filtered by
2.4
Susan M. Jacques

1. Good job for those who are detail oriented.

I worked at Gemological Institute of America

Pros

Job security with decent pay.

Cons

The job felt repetitious at times, but going in I understood it was production oriented, so that was to be expected.

2. Good Place to Work at

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Gemological Institute of America

Pros

The pay was decent, but the benefits made up for it. The people are nice (generally).

Cons

There is a lot of 'office drama' that can come about. It can get pretty ridiculous, but I would suggest minding your own business and stay out of it. There were quite a number of changes during my first months here, so it was a bit frustrating.

No choice!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gemological Institute of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job that pays money.

Cons

We used to have a choice of the start times: 6:30am-3:00pm 8:00am-4:30pm and 3:00pm-11:00pm

They are now getting rid of the middle schedule and changing the first and last schedules. Our new choices well be 7:00am-3:30pm and 3:30pm-11:30pm. They don't care that leaving at 11:30pm is way too dangerous, especially for women and they don't care that a lot of employees were used to working an 8:00am schedule following that start time for years and may have trouble doing a 7:00am start time due to family obligations or transportation.

It feels like the longer I work here, the more it feels like I am in jail rather than at work.

Advice to Management

If you're going to force us to choose between the lesser of two evils, consider making the first shift 7:00am-3:00pm and the second shift 3:00pm-11:00pm. That way you can pretend to care about our well being.

The first year was great

Former Employee - Instructor in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Gemological Institute of America part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was okay, the benefits were fine. The best part was the access to the amazing brains who work there! Fabulous place to work if you are passionate about gemology. You have access to incredibly smart, talented people, which is fantastic!

Cons

If you can stay completely under the radar regarding office politics, you are golden. If you want to get involved, fix injustices, etc. you are asking for headaches & LOTS of trouble.

6. Great Benefits

Current Employee - Staff Gemologist in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Gemologist in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Gemological Institute of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are terrific. The employers care about their employees, are friend and accommodating

Cons

The pay is definitely on the lower side, but there is a lot of growth opportunities

Static, Uninterested Management, Devaluing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Gemological Institute of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learning opportunities
    Great people
    New experiences everyday

Cons

Forced to repeat unreachable goals, blamed for company production problems
    Severe pay inequality
    Harassment from other staff - reported, nothing done
    Management has no interest in fixing issues; they blame staff and each other

Advice to Management

Hire people with a business management background to oversee staff instead of promoting people who happen to be your friends or who have tenure. Experience in a company doesn't mean that you have management skills.

They get more than what they pay for.

I worked at Gemological Institute of America

Pros

GIA is a friendly company, and their benefits are very good.

Cons

They do not pay a fair salary for the job you are performing. Once you are hired they expect you to do the job of three or four people, pay you only for the job you were hired to do. Of course by the time you realize you are expected to carry a three or four person load you can't afford quit.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees fairly.

Diamond Grader

Current Employee - Diamond Grader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Diamond Grader in New York, NY

I have been working at Gemological Institute of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You don't take work home with you, paid overtime is offered but generally not mandatory, you can listen to headphones and coworkers are friendly.

Cons

Extremely poorly managed with little care to employees happiness. Employees are made to feel like a step in an assembly line and any input is largely ignored.

Advice to Management

Management training and long term solutions to problems.

Mixed Feelings

I worked at Gemological Institute of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Decent Starting Pay
    Air Conditioned
    Good Location
    Opportunities to travel for work, you are treated very well while traveling. Makes you wonder why you are treated so badly back home.

Cons

Disorganized
    If you aren't management, you aren't valuable
    People I worked with were snakes, liars, cheats and dishonest
    Made for a Venomous work life.
    No Room for advancement
    Management is trained to lie to the "underlings"
    Executives seems lost as to the future of the company as a whole. If they didnt hold the market share they currently do they would probably go under.

Advice to Management

Less lies, more truth. People arent as stupid as you treat them.

Work here if you like to be humiliated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Gemological Institute of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and the occasional leftover cold pizza.

Cons

Low pay and arrogant managers not worth the tedium and rampant workplace bullying. GIA department hires professionals then demeans them publicly. A manager endlessly harangued a long-time employee in a department meeting for expressing constructive criticism, to the silent horror of onlookers; a manager publicly called another employee a liar. Beware the bait and switch, job duties not as advertised, titles meaningless. Once they get you in, they load you with menial tasks then call you uncooperative if you question your assigned role. Claim they are open to new ideas then either crucify you for offering them or don’t give you credit when they use them. If one of the in-crowd is threatened by you, cohorts exclude, mock, and freeze you out. A colleague I liked and respected refused to talk to me for two months. Another colleague accused me of deliberate insubordination and inept carelessness in front of others. Ordinary quality control is reacted to as a crisis, as though finding normal mistakes (part of your job) is a huge disaster that requires placing personal blame. People only speak up in department meetings when called on, like in grade school. Discussions are at the granular level and incompressible to the rest, who tune out. Humorlessness (unless you think insults and barbs are funny), micromanagement, coldness (no inquiries about the wife and kids; no saying goodbye at the end of the workday), and ego-stroking of superiors reigns. Snark rules the day, and that’s a standard set by managers who dis their own worthy and well-meaning staff and treat them like lackeys, children, or troublemakers. Culture of fear, disrespect, and hazing doesn’t match the motto. Resigned and consider self well out of it. Work here if you like to be humiliated by people who don’t appreciate employees who work hard and well. Bring candy for the managers while you are at it; it’s “job security.”

Advice to Management

Grow up and start showing some respect. Your imperious attitudes would never fly in the real work world.