Gems Education Reviews

CEO

1. Great

Former Employee - Personal Assistant in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Personal Assistant in New London, CT

I worked at Gems Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent all v friendly Great team spirit

Cons

Had to leave due to redundancy

Advice to Management

Great

Don't risk your career

I have been working at Gems Education

Pros

generous pay if you are a director

Cons

No leadership no strategy no rewards no respect

3. HIgh growth company, lacks focus and a professional leadership team, zero job security and very poor work culture

Current Employee - Director in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Director in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Gems Education full-time

Pros

Recognised name in education, high growth.

Cons

Poor culture, lack of job security and a coherent strategy. Company is poorly run.

No Career Opportunity @ GEMS

Current Employee - ICT Engineer in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - ICT Engineer in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Gems Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work timings are very comfortable. Have lot of holidays.

Cons

No Career path. No way to upgrade knowledge base or skill sets. You will be stuck in here as long as you dont pull yourself out. No pay rise. No benefits. Treat you like a labour.

Advice to Management

Look up to other organization and learn how to administer.

6. Could be better...could be worse

Current Contractor - Teacher in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Contractor - Teacher in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Gems Education as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are paid on time
    Free tuition for your child (valued at about 20k per year)
    Housing and Medical Inusrance is covered as is an annual flight home in summer for teacher +1
    The summers and holiday breaks off are great
    Kids are fantastic

Cons

Only one dependent is covered so if you have a spouse and a child you are on the hook for things like medical insurance, costs of visas, flights, etc.... which is a lot on a low end teacher's salary.
    Some of the teachers are fresh out of school and like to party to the point of silliness (most younger grades) They get the jobs because they are "western"
    They make it very hard to find a new job after completing your contract and expect you to sign a renewal agreement 8 months before the commencement of the next year and before new jobs are posted at other schools. If you decide afterwards to leave....for example after Xmas time but before the summer starts (6 months notice!) you are "breaking contract" and will be hit on your salary, end of service gratuity, etc... Never know from year to year if there will be a salary step freeze.

Advice to Management

Offer a copy of the legally binding Arabic labor contract to the teachers when you offer them the job ***It seems only a very few have ever actually seen their Arabic contract*** Perhaps have the two contracts match (English one at the fairs and the subsequent Arabic one). It is distressing to sign one contract and then get the Arabic and see totally different terms! Make the residency permit process easier (what does the PRO do with his days exactly?? We all know the real process is under 5 days but our passports are taken for weeks!) Don't offer the "Gems Approved Flight Allowance" to the staff at some of your schools and then retract the offer after people have turned in their forms to get paid and then reduce it by $600 or more on many of the cities! People don't like having signed contract agreements reneged on. Do not make your employees pay the housing fee in Dubai and then wait to get paid back. That is not our expense per the contract! Encourage heads of school to show their faces more than at the start and end of the school year. We can literally go months without seeing them walk down the halls. Not good for staff moral.

7. Although I enjoyed being able to assist both children and parents, I was overworked and underpaid- exploited.

Former Employee - Administration Officer & Student Services in Tripoli (Libya)
    Former Employee - Administration Officer & Student Services in Tripoli (Libya)

I worked at Gems Education full-time

Pros

I loved being part of the educational experience and always wanted to make a difference in this way.

Cons

I often felt over-worked, quite exploited, and unappreciated (not by my direct boss but by the company). The salary gap between what the locals were being paid and expats was huge and very unjust.

Advice to Management

I advise management to better appreciate their employees, and to pay each one what they deserve and not exploit the local employees in certain countries.

RSS Feed </> Embed