Gemvara Reviews

3.7

Janet Holian

Amazing People and Amazing E-commerce Jewelry Company

I have been working at Gemvara

Pros

Collaborative and Creative Team
    Great Aspects for personal and professional growth
    Young and Open Atmosphere
    Open Leave Policy

Cons

I don't really see any cons.
    Being working here, I am satisfied with the company and the management tries to make the atmosphere for us as comfortable as possible.

Run away. This is not the Gemvara I once knew.

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Gemvara full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees and the majority are hard working, very smart and easy to communicate with. The concept is a good one and it can be very exciting along with the intensity.

Cons

The layoffs continue which makes it very stressful all the time. Departments continue to work in silos and management is out of touch. Departments are still so disorganized and the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Too many panic projects due to poor planning.

You will only advance if you say "yes" to everything and if you fail and your are in management you will be rewarded. I don't get it.

I disagree with one of the reviews that states "your opinions matter." They don't and they never will. Most employees are too scared to speak for fear of being let go especially because they now have no one in HR.

Not enough employees who know about the jewelry industry. Ecommerce is one thing, jewelry is a whole different ball game.

Very surprised at the rating for the CEO. That was not my experience at all and it was not the sense I got in my discussions with other employees. They are quick to layoff junior people very fast but not management, who in my estimation are responsible for the slow demise of the company. They should be held accountable.

Don't hire great people if you are not willing to really listen to them.
    Take the opportunity to work with the employees you have when filling vacant positions. There is a lot of talent there and it certainly isn't in the current management.
    Way, way to many ineffective meetings.
    You are not a start up anymore. Stop acting like one.

Inspiring

I have been working at Gemvara full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- disruptive to the jewelry industry
    - emphasis on continuous feedback
    - positive atmosphere
    - all employees empowered to make decisions and contributions
    - intelligent and passionate co-workers
    - focused on initiatives at hand
    - work hard, play hard

Cons

- the physical office space itself is pretty corporate and blah (great location though!)
    - departments can be silo'd, but they are working on this.

- remain focused on the initiatives
    - continue to be transparent

Awesome company, still learning how to succeed

I have been working at Gemvara full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can come in and make a difference. If you are smart, hardworking and "can-do" this is the place for you. If you want to cruise and take it easy, not have any pressure to perform, then, probably, you need to look elsewhere.

Cons

It's not really a con...but startups are hard, esp. one that is trying to create a new business category. There are lots of unusual challenges and it's not always obvious how they will be solved. But, for the right kind of person, there's no better place. For someone not up for this special kind of challenge, it will be difficult. You really need to be ready for what it takes to be productive in startup.

There have been a lot of changes in the preceding 12 months, overwhelmingly positive. I think management has acquired wisdom from the difficulties over that period and is now pointing the org in the right direction.

Proceed With Caution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Gemvara full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting startup environment. Individuals have opportunities to impact business in a bigger way than they would in a larger company. Open office encourages collaboration. Free snacks and convenient office location. Opportunity to learn a ton.

Cons

Turnover is problematic both for the individuals that are cut loose and those left behind. Many positions have turned over a couple of times in the last 24 months. This not only puts people out of work but also eliminates any learnings from year to year. Many business mistakes are repeated because the staff that struggled with a business challenge last year just isn't there this year to pass on what they learned in the previous season.
    It's a symptom of the senior team trying to make the business work. Well intentioned but ineffective. If you land a job here be sure to have a "Plan B". You will need it.

There is something within the business that isn't working well and switching out players has not fixed it. Find that issue and deal with it. Sounds simple but I suspect that it's been uncovered for you.
    Take the blame along with the credit and stop looking for scapegoats when things don't go as planned.

Awesome place to work

I have been working at Gemvara

Pros

It is a great place to work with people who are innovative, fun and dedicated. Management spends a lot of time giving feedback and making sure people understand the company’s goals and their own goals. Lots of ongoing communication with our customers and employees is a good thing! Every full time employee is a stockholder and you get the sense we are all building something really awesome together.

Cons

Start-ups can be a bit bumpy at times.

Keep the conversation going with all of your customers and employees.

Bizarre.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Gemvara

Pros

Nice office in downtown Boston. Interesting business model. Cool events sometimes.

Cons

There have been several layoffs here, usually one big one a year and one smaller one, although they don't want you to know it. After the massive layoff right before Thanksgiving, the CEO asked every employee to email him stating that they were in and that they still believed in the company. Very strange. They want you to think that they're different by providing free snacks and hosting fun events at times. The issue is, they aren't. They'll let you go without ever giving you feedback on how you can improve, and they've cut many amazing people, only to fill those roles again for what can only be the decision of new management coming in and hiring their old teams.

Stop poaching leadership from brand-name companies only to have them come in and clear everyone out. Don't preach about core values only to not use them yourself with employees and retain the incredible people you do have.

Great a wonderful company to work for

I have been working at Gemvara full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exciting industry, disruptive company, all about the customer, a place to work, grow and learn.

Cons

Lots of change, which is the nature of a start up, need management to make decisive changes.

Move quicker, be more open about plans, have less meetings and accomplish more..