Gen-Probe

Gen-Probe CEO Robert Cascella

Robert Cascella

Great experience.

Scientist II (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFun place to work. Wouldn't change a thing about working at Gen-Probe.

ConsCommute. Traffic in the area can be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementNice Job.

Still chaotic 2 years after acquisition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsReasonable hours, decent pay and benefits, good people. Other reviews have complained about pay but I think those are people who have been there for a while (raises/promotions are small and not common). My initial offer was very low compared to what we finally agreed on so be sure to negotiate.

ConsPeople are still getting fired/laid off -- execs and non-execs alike. The company is struggling to keep shareholders happy so cuts and "re-orgs" continue. Not only are people getting let go but good people are jumping ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together -- this is not Hologic's first time acquiring a company. Unfortunately they made a mess of it last time as well (please Google if you are pursuing employment at Gen-Probe).

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I wish I had given so much of my life to any company but Gen-Probe.

Scientist (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWhen I began working at Gen-Probe many years ago, benefits were surprisingly good, especially fully paid heath care (after working for the University of California which charged over $1000/month on a poor salary). Most any health care provider was covered, and copays were reasonable. However, . . . {see Cons}.

ConsEvery year benefits became more of burdens. I know health care costs have risen, but our compensation did not keep up with inflation and the ever increasing transfer of health care costs to employees. When I last looked in 2012, I was making $10,000 less than in 2002 (in 2002 dollars). Hmmm, that cannot be right, especially with executive management getting their automatic 10+% raises, disproportionate bonuses and free stock options just to make sure they always had some stock.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking about yourselves. Treat your employees with respect and they will return so much more in productivity and, hence, in increased revenues.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Things are looking up,.

ProsGen-probe has a good culture. The management is very supportive. There is a lot of opportunity to move up.

ConsThere has been a high turnover rate in the past 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the people you can.

Tremendous until it was acquired by Hologic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGen-Probe as a company does not exist

ConsAfter the acquisition by Hologic, the culture of the company went from one of open and honest communication with customer satisfaction as the main driver for all activities to one that was agenda driven with the main focus being on power and political games between leadership and employees

Relaxed work environment, but too much turnover".

QA Inspector (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPromotions come quite frequently and often.

ConsToo much turnover within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise pay to meet the average pay for Bio-Tech companies

Great company, nice and friendly people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone is smart and this place has great work-life balance. The engineers like to joke and are really kind. When you're down, they will come to your help. Everyone works together, the bosses are fantastic,..This was one of the nicest companies I've worked for.

ConsBecause of the size of the company and the fact that its in the life sciences, the salaries arent too thrilling.. Some people stayed temps for 5 years without being offered full time... Its unfortunate! That is probably the pay-off for the crazy friendly environment and awesome company culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great, I wish them the best.

Analytical Chemist-Testing drug product

QC Associate (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsOne the best company to work for

ConsGood Company to work for

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work

Hologic is dragging Gen-Probe down

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThere aren't any pros anymore

Consno one is happy or secure due to contiunous lay off's off's

Advice to Senior ManagementHologic has not made any positive changes since acquiring Gen-Probe rather they are laying off good strong contributors, making GP do all things their way instead of the best way. They are destroying a good solid company.

Good company,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDefined career path, good growth opportunities, great team environment

ConsWork pressure can get intense at times

Worked for Gen-Probe? Contribute to the Community!