Gene B. Glick Company Reviews

3.3
Gene B. Glick Company President & CEO David O. Barrett
David O. Barrett

1. Never Been Happier - Great Place to Work

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Generous pay, 401k with excellent match, great insurance, paid work out time/classes, regular company events that are fun, flexible schedule, open to new ideas, etc.

Cons

Lots of employees have been around for many years and their opinion is not to be questioned. Many are "in the family" and can do no wrong.

Review and evaluate positions based on work, not who knows who or who has been around the longest. Besides that, keep up the good work. Excellent place to work and lots of fun involved with the hard work. Look forward to many more happy years at the company.

2. Extraordinary Career

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company

Pros

I'm a long term employee and can't even imagine working for another company. The benefit are outstanding, the pay extremely generous and the corporate culture is one of caring. The company tries to promote from within whenever possible so there are many opportunities available for those with ambition. The core values of the company are in line with my personal values so I feel right at home with this company. Everyone in upper management is very approachable and genuinely cares about their employees.

Cons

I would love to see administrative training for maintenance personnel. This would include Word, Excel and Email.

Keep listening to the site employees as the input should be extremely valuable in helping our company formulate policies and procedures going forward that benefit those on the front line.

Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company offered great benefits. There was also a lot of flexibility depending on the position you had.

Cons

Things are changing now that the company can't hire or retain quality employees. But take it from someone who has worked here awhile. When there were a thousand applicants for every application, everyone that worked here was disposable. Also the company is very "who's who" oriented. Make the wrong person mad and the best employee could be kicked to the curb. It's only been in the last couple of months that I have been able to stop wondering who will be called down to HR on Friday afternoons.

You're doing better. But cut the games out. When Gene was here this was a place to build a career for every employee. SVP all the way down to hourly maintenance guy. Bring that culture back.

Home office employee

Former Employee - Accounting in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Accounting in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gene B. Glick Company

Pros

Benefits, not much else to Bragg about.

Cons

Back stabbing employees, managers think they are above everyone else. They go in their offices and talk about everyone behind their backs, and make fun of those who work under then.

Need to clean house, starting at the top.

6. Very Sad

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great properties and used to be great culture.

Cons

Worked at property for multiple years. With new CEO came new management and house cleaning. When I took the job I thought it would be a career I could stick with for years. After new CEO and management everyone became disposable. Leadership think they are superior to everyone else and the HR leadership treats employees like they are worthless.

Bring the values that Mr Glick built the company on back. If you want to behave the way you currently do you should rename the business.

These new reviews!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company

Pros

Decent pay, 401k, Any experience in this industry no matter the amount and you can get hired. More than likely promoted.

Cons

Most things become a huge challenge. Corporate staff is out of touch. Doesn't seem to be any working knowledge of day to day site operation.
    All of the new reviews are from corporate staff that have been asked to submit them. Only to boost the rankings.

Get it together. Set something anything in stone and let's keep a standard or policy for more than a year. Maybe cut the fat at the top. You don't need so many titles at the top. Seems to cloud things at the bottom.

Maintenance

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company

Pros

401k is good things look good on paper. It's a great place to learn skills if you never did it before

Cons

Lot of plumbing issues budget is tight. And there are easier ways for snow removal but the choose not to do them

Spend the money to fix long term issues and make the apartment worth the price you asking for

9. Fabulous Company with a Great Culture!

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees are treated with dignity and respect and are sought out for ideas and feedback as an ongoing effort to ensure they are providing the best and that the employees can carry out the best to all of our guests, residents and vendors.

It's truly an amazing company where the CEO, EVP and VP's are very in tune with the needs of the sites, the employees and the residents. They are a terrific executive management team that is creative and innovative bringing the best leading edge opportunities to their teams to continue to advance our service in all efforts.

Recognition is often and generously rewarded to successful and loyal team members. This is truly a well-rounded company that knows their team members matter and show it often.

Giving back to the community is a well-known aspect for this company. They have generously given back to the community in many ways and open these opporunities to their employees to share in doing so. It is amazing that in the 2 years I have been employed with Gene B. Glick Company that they have rolled out new options each year increasing our abilities to give back. It's wonderful!

Cons

The only improvement that I have to share is one that is already being reviewed for improvment. Some of the processes that are in place are somewhat dated and not as efficient as they could be. With that being said, it takes time to make these types of adjustments and I've already seen several improved in my short 2 years with the organization.

Keep involving your employees as much as possible to share their feedback. Keep listening closely as you are now. I'm super pleased and often wowed by executive management's willingness and concerted effort to do so. It's clear that you care and want to consider the feedback you are requesting. Nice job!

Best in multifamily real estate, by far!

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Close-knit, family-like work environment. This is far and away the most supportive and accessible workplace I've ever been involved in. Upper management, up to and definitely including the CEO, has an open-door attitude towards subordinates, and are very accessible and welcoming. From day one, I felt like I was walking into a new extended family, not an impersonal corporation. I'm on a first name basis with every VP, EVP, and director throughout the corporate office, and they all took the time to introduce themselves and meet with me within a month of my employment. Bottom line, it is a blessing to go to work every day at a company that you feel knows and cares about you personally and appreciates your contribution, whatever your position may be. If you work hard and buy into the culture and take the time to just chat and be friendly with everyone here, this company from the top down will have your back and reward you accordingly.
    - Very flexible with family situations/working parents. I'm a single parent that occasionally runs late or has to leave early in order to take my son to appointments, pick up from school, attend events, care for when sick, etc. In previous positions, I never felt that my company particularly empathized with how hard my particular situation can be. I've received nothing but 100% support and flexibility from everyone in my chain of command at Glick. There have been a couple times I've had appointments in the afternoon, and when I mentioned that I'll be back in the office after the appointment to my supervisor, he looked at me like I was crazy and told me to work from home for the hour or two I had remaining in the work day.
    -It's a growing company with lots of opportunities for advancement. Glick is aggressively pursuing new acquisition opportunities and creating new jobs constantly... my current position being one of them. On a more personal level, this company has given me a tremendous amount of freedom to not only grow and learn more professionally, but to literally define my own role and niche within the company.
    - The pay, benefits, freebies, and events are far and away better than anything I expected, without question. I've attended black-tie philanthropy galas for free thanks to Glick, I've watched a Colts game from the company suite, I watched an Indians game from an affiliated vendor's suite at Victory Field. Oh and the company events? How's this for an example... at our 2014 holiday party, I won $100 cash as a door prize, got to enjoy an open bar for an hour, enjoyed a delicious catered meal, and had the rest of the day off afterwards. Just as rewarding are the company-sponsored charity events, such as United Way's Day of Caring, Habitat for Humanity, and working on the Cultural Trail.
    -Sense of teamwork among the departments. Many long-term employees have mentioned to me that the various departments at Glick used to be fiefdoms that fought over everything (i.e. property management vs asset management vs accounting vs compliance, etc.). That's something that our current CEO and EVP of Operations don't have any patience for anymore. All the heads and underlings in the various departments meet, talk, interact, and work together on a daily basis, which may seem like not so big of a deal at first glance. But any veteran of similar-sized or larger companies is probably all too familiar with the internecine warfare that can take place between departments (insurance agents and claims adjusters come to mind). It's refreshing to not have to deal with that crap here.

To sum up my feelings, I feel personally invested in this company and can't recommend it enough. Saying that they've been good to me doesn't do nearly enough justice to how I feel. I know things are different because it's the corporate office, and I don't discount the bad experiences other reviewers on here may have had (read my cons below). But based on my experience, I simply don't understand how anyone could walk away from this company with anything less than a positive impression.

Cons

- Slow pace of change. Upper management has definitely been making a push recently to take a hard look at our established practices and see if it makes sense to change anything. Glick has a very long and successful track record of doing things the "Glick way," so I understand the reluctance to change things too quickly. But I think there are plenty of small things that can be managed better, or better yet, delegated to the properties themselves. More on that below.
    - Too much of a gulf between site staff and corporate office. The corporate office does a phenomenal job of making sure all the departments at the home office interact and know each other. The same can't be said of all the properties and the home office. For way too many properties, their idea of "management" is their Regional Property Manager and VP of Property Management, and the regional maintenance operations managers, and that's it. They don't see how accounting, or risk management, or business solutions, or asset management have to look at our business, or if they do it's a very narrow version. And vice versa. It leads to an us-versus-them mentality among too much of the property staff, and that's a big hindrance to this company's continued growth.
    - Too many expectations, not enough delegation to the properties. In order to expand and buy more properties, Glick has had to build up a war chest. That means aggressively cutting expenses, finding new ways to increase revenues, and socking away any surplus. We demand so much from our property staff, but it feels like we don't go out of our way to say "We trust you, we will give you all the tools and leeway you need, so long as you live up to our standards and accomplish our business objectives." There's a bit too much micromanagement from the corporate office, and I can certainly understand why some site staff feel like they aren't trusted to have the company's best interests in mind and run their properties as they see appropriate.
    - Advancement can take a while at the corporate office, and there are only so many career avenues available at the property level. Unfortunately this is a fact of life throughout the entire property management industry, so I guess it's not just Glick. But as much as this company currently tries to hire internally, I feel like we are still missing people within our organization who might not have the precise job experience and history that we're looking for in a position, but whose soft skills are such that they could step into a role, learn it quickly, and thrive at it.

- Delegate more to the properties. We need to quit micromanaging expenses and simply tell the sites that we expect xyz in cash flow from your region as a whole. Let the RPMs and PMs decide which properties can afford to skip some non-essential maintenance this year or put off buying a truck, so that one of the other properties can finally update their clubhouse or install a new playground. I firmly believe that the more input and responsibility you give to your people, along with clearly stated end-goals, the better they will perform and feel invested in their property and Glick's success.
    - Diversify. Our portfolio is concentrated too heavily in older-dated properties, at least on the conventional side. The routine maintenance costs on them continue to rise, and consumers are demanding more choices and amenities, and better location. If it means selling some of our outdated inventory to an investor who is willing to put the time and capital into repositioning it, in order to raise funds to buy newer and more in-demand assets to position ourselves better over the long-term, so be it IMO.
    - Why are we paid biweekly instead of bimonthly? If we went to a 1st and 15th or 15th and 31st pay schedule, we would drop from 26 to 24 paychecks (accounting would save money on bank and payroll fees), but still be getting paid every other week like now. Plus it would feel like a massive raise. 40k salary biweekly equals 1538 gross pay. Bimonthly would bump that to 1667 gross. Not to mention that because literally every single bill nowadays is due on the same day every month and can be set to automatically deduct from your bank account on that day, bimonthly pay takes the hassle and worry out of planning around your bills. Small gripe I know, but I came from banking and this was one benefit I absolutely loved.
    - Send corporate office staff, regardless of position, out to the sites far more often. And invite property staff to the corporate office to shadow staff here, so that they see it's not as us-versus-them as they think, and to get a better understanding of the overall business we're in. That would go a long way to making everyone from Michigan to the corporate office to Florida feel like one truly cohesive and unified family. Maybe start doing an annual company retreat at a mid-point between all the properties, where there's a lot of interaction between employees that focuses more on team-building and isn't so much focused on work. Make all the properties feel the same sense of family and togetherness that the corporate office currently does.

Best company I've ever worked for

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working at Glick. I really enjoy my job and feel appreciated everyday. My supervisor is great and trusts me to manage my own time which is refreshing. I’ve taken on more responsibility since I first started with the company and it’s exciting to be given so many opportunities that add different facets to my job. I can tell that I am valued by my peers and supervisor.

Senior management is very personable and willing to listen which seems to be a rarity in other companies. You may not always get the answer that you want, but you will be heard because your opinions and concerns matter.

There are plenty of perks to working at Glick including great benefits, opportunities to volunteer, company events, etc. Their motto is “our business is family” and I definitely see that in the way employees are treated. I love this company and this job!

Cons

I know you can find this anywhere, but there are some people with negative attitudes that tend to drag others down with them. It can be frustrating because it seems the behavior is noticed but there does not appear to be redirection to improve it.

Keep listening to your employees and don't be afraid of changing for the better.