Gene B. Glick Company

Updated January 22, 2015
3.1

Gene B. Glick Company President & CEO David O. Barrett
David O. Barrett

Fabulous Company with a Great Culture!

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees are treated with dignity and respect and are sought out for ideas and feedback as an ongoing effort to ensure they are providing the best and that the employees can carry out the best to all of our guests, residents and vendors.

It's truly an amazing company where the CEO, EVP and VP's are very in tune with the needs of the sites, the employees and the residents. They are a terrific executive management team that is creative and innovative bringing the best leading edge opportunities to their teams to continue to advance our service in all efforts.

Recognition is often and generously rewarded to successful and loyal team members. This is truly a well-rounded company that knows their team members matter and show it often.

Giving back to the community is a well-known aspect for this company. They have generously given back to the community in many ways and open these opporunities to their employees to share in doing so. It is amazing that in the 2 years I have been employed with Gene B. Glick Company that they have rolled out new options each year increasing our abilities to give back. It's wonderful!

Cons

The only improvement that I have to share is one that is already being reviewed for improvment. Some of the processes that are in place are somewhat dated and not as efficient as they could be. With that being said, it takes time to make these types of adjustments and I've already seen several improved in my short 2 years with the organization.

Keep involving your employees as much as possible to share their feedback. Keep listening closely as you are now. I'm super pleased and often wowed by executive management's willingness and concerted effort to do so. It's clear that you care and want to consider the feedback you are requesting. Nice job!

These new reviews!

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company

Pros

Decent pay, 401k, Any experience in this industry no matter the amount and you can get hired. More than likely promoted.

Cons

Most things become a huge challenge. Corporate staff is out of touch. Doesn't seem to be any working knowledge of day to day site operation.
    All of the new reviews are from corporate staff that have been asked to submit them. Only to boost the rankings.

Get it together. Set something anything in stone and let's keep a standard or policy for more than a year. Maybe cut the fat at the top. You don't need so many titles at the top. Seems to cloud things at the bottom.

Maintenance

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company

Pros

401k is good things look good on paper. It's a great place to learn skills if you never did it before

Cons

Lot of plumbing issues budget is tight. And there are easier ways for snow removal but the choose not to do them

Spend the money to fix long term issues and make the apartment worth the price you asking for

Best in multifamily real estate, by far!

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Close-knit, family-like work environment. This is far and away the most supportive and accessible workplace I've ever been involved in. Upper management, up to and definitely including the CEO, has an open-door attitude towards subordinates, and are very accessible and welcoming. From day one, I felt like I was walking into a new extended family, not an impersonal corporation. I'm on a first name basis with every VP, EVP, and director throughout the corporate office, and they all took the time to introduce themselves and meet with me within a month of my employment. Bottom line, it is a blessing to go to work every day at a company that you feel knows and cares about you personally and appreciates your contribution, whatever your position may be. If you work hard and buy into the culture and take the time to just chat and be friendly with everyone here, this company from the top down will have your back and reward you accordingly.
    - Very flexible with family situations/working parents. I'm a single parent that occasionally runs late or has to leave early in order to take my son to appointments, pick up from school, attend events, care for when sick, etc. In previous positions, I never felt that my company particularly empathized with how hard my particular situation can be. I've received nothing but 100% support and flexibility from everyone in my chain of command at Glick. There have been a couple times I've had appointments in the afternoon, and when I mentioned that I'll be back in the office after the appointment to my supervisor, he looked at me like I was crazy and told me to work from home for the hour or two I had remaining in the work day.
    -It's a growing company with lots of opportunities for advancement. Glick is aggressively pursuing new acquisition opportunities and creating new jobs constantly... my current position being one of them. On a more personal level, this company has given me a tremendous amount of freedom to not only grow and learn more professionally, but to literally define my own role and niche within the company.
    - The pay, benefits, freebies, and events are far and away better than anything I expected, without question. I've attended black-tie philanthropy galas for free thanks to Glick, I've watched a Colts game from the company suite, I watched an Indians game from an affiliated vendor's suite at Victory Field. Oh and the company events? How's this for an example... at our 2014 holiday party, I won $100 cash as a door prize, got to enjoy an open bar for an hour, enjoyed a delicious catered meal, and had the rest of the day off afterwards. Just as rewarding are the company-sponsored charity events, such as United Way's Day of Caring, Habitat for Humanity, and working on the Cultural Trail.
    -Sense of teamwork among the departments. Many long-term employees have mentioned to me that the various departments at Glick used to be fiefdoms that fought over everything (i.e. property management vs asset management vs accounting vs compliance, etc.). That's something that our current CEO and EVP of Operations don't have any patience for anymore. All the heads and underlings in the various departments meet, talk, interact, and work together on a daily basis, which may seem like not so big of a deal at first glance. But any veteran of similar-sized or larger companies is probably all too familiar with the internecine warfare that can take place between departments (insurance agents and claims adjusters come to mind). It's refreshing to not have to deal with that crap here.

To sum up my feelings, I feel personally invested in this company and can't recommend it enough. Saying that they've been good to me doesn't do nearly enough justice to how I feel. I know things are different because it's the corporate office, and I don't discount the bad experiences other reviewers on here may have had (read my cons below). But based on my experience, I simply don't understand how anyone could walk away from this company with anything less than a positive impression.

Cons

- Slow pace of change. Upper management has definitely been making a push recently to take a hard look at our established practices and see if it makes sense to change anything. Glick has a very long and successful track record of doing things the "Glick way," so I understand the reluctance to change things too quickly. But I think there are plenty of small things that can be managed better, or better yet, delegated to the properties themselves. More on that below.
    - Too much of a gulf between site staff and corporate office. The corporate office does a phenomenal job of making sure all the departments at the home office interact and know each other. The same can't be said of all the properties and the home office. For way too many properties, their idea of "management" is their Regional Property Manager and VP of Property Management, and the regional maintenance operations managers, and that's it. They don't see how accounting, or risk management, or business solutions, or asset management have to look at our business, or if they do it's a very narrow version. And vice versa. It leads to an us-versus-them mentality among too much of the property staff, and that's a big hindrance to this company's continued growth.
    - Too many expectations, not enough delegation to the properties. In order to expand and buy more properties, Glick has had to build up a war chest. That means aggressively cutting expenses, finding new ways to increase revenues, and socking away any surplus. We demand so much from our property staff, but it feels like we don't go out of our way to say "We trust you, we will give you all the tools and leeway you need, so long as you live up to our standards and accomplish our business objectives." There's a bit too much micromanagement from the corporate office, and I can certainly understand why some site staff feel like they aren't trusted to have the company's best interests in mind and run their properties as they see appropriate.
    - Advancement can take a while at the corporate office, and there are only so many career avenues available at the property level. Unfortunately this is a fact of life throughout the entire property management industry, so I guess it's not just Glick. But as much as this company currently tries to hire internally, I feel like we are still missing people within our organization who might not have the precise job experience and history that we're looking for in a position, but whose soft skills are such that they could step into a role, learn it quickly, and thrive at it.

- Delegate more to the properties. We need to quit micromanaging expenses and simply tell the sites that we expect xyz in cash flow from your region as a whole. Let the RPMs and PMs decide which properties can afford to skip some non-essential maintenance this year or put off buying a truck, so that one of the other properties can finally update their clubhouse or install a new playground. I firmly believe that the more input and responsibility you give to your people, along with clearly stated end-goals, the better they will perform and feel invested in their property and Glick's success.
    - Diversify. Our portfolio is concentrated too heavily in older-dated properties, at least on the conventional side. The routine maintenance costs on them continue to rise, and consumers are demanding more choices and amenities, and better location. If it means selling some of our outdated inventory to an investor who is willing to put the time and capital into repositioning it, in order to raise funds to buy newer and more in-demand assets to position ourselves better over the long-term, so be it IMO.
    - Why are we paid biweekly instead of bimonthly? If we went to a 1st and 15th or 15th and 31st pay schedule, we would drop from 26 to 24 paychecks (accounting would save money on bank and payroll fees), but still be getting paid every other week like now. Plus it would feel like a massive raise. 40k salary biweekly equals 1538 gross pay. Bimonthly would bump that to 1667 gross. Not to mention that because literally every single bill nowadays is due on the same day every month and can be set to automatically deduct from your bank account on that day, bimonthly pay takes the hassle and worry out of planning around your bills. Small gripe I know, but I came from banking and this was one benefit I absolutely loved.
    - Send corporate office staff, regardless of position, out to the sites far more often. And invite property staff to the corporate office to shadow staff here, so that they see it's not as us-versus-them as they think, and to get a better understanding of the overall business we're in. That would go a long way to making everyone from Michigan to the corporate office to Florida feel like one truly cohesive and unified family. Maybe start doing an annual company retreat at a mid-point between all the properties, where there's a lot of interaction between employees that focuses more on team-building and isn't so much focused on work. Make all the properties feel the same sense of family and togetherness that the corporate office currently does.

Best company I've ever worked for

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working at Glick. I really enjoy my job and feel appreciated everyday. My supervisor is great and trusts me to manage my own time which is refreshing. I’ve taken on more responsibility since I first started with the company and it’s exciting to be given so many opportunities that add different facets to my job. I can tell that I am valued by my peers and supervisor.

Senior management is very personable and willing to listen which seems to be a rarity in other companies. You may not always get the answer that you want, but you will be heard because your opinions and concerns matter.

There are plenty of perks to working at Glick including great benefits, opportunities to volunteer, company events, etc. Their motto is “our business is family” and I definitely see that in the way employees are treated. I love this company and this job!

Cons

I know you can find this anywhere, but there are some people with negative attitudes that tend to drag others down with them. It can be frustrating because it seems the behavior is noticed but there does not appear to be redirection to improve it.

Keep listening to your employees and don't be afraid of changing for the better.

My experience working for this company has been nothing but positive.

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for this company. Not only do they provide opportunities for advancement, but they support and develop employees to be successful. The leadership team, while supportive and professional, are also personable and fun. There is definitely a feeling of family among employees. The benefits are great and the company goes to great lengths to keep our healthcare costs down. Upper management values "out-of-the-box" thinking and is receptive to all ideas I have ever brought to them.

Cons

I am hard pressed to find cons. Perhaps the biggest con is the building where the corporate office is housed. We have outgrown the office space... the new space can't come soon enough!

Love the open door policy and the communication methods in place.

GREAT company...period.

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT company that not only cares about, and gives back to the community but does the same for its employees. The Gene B. Glick company is about family...not just the residents served but the company culture is consistent with a family feel as well. This means from Executive Leadership down, management is approachable and is supportive of the growth of its employees. I have worked in a corporate environment where sales alone drove decision making and employees were micormanaged. Glick prides itslef on providing a great apartment home for all people regardless of income levels. Providing a great product and service to residents means you must not only value and invest in employees, but they must also be trusted to do their job well, without being micromanaged. Glick delivers on all ends. This is why you will find employees who have worked at Glick for 20 to 30+ years, which is unheard of today.

Working at Glick means you will not only generate income for yourself and have the opportunity to grow professionally, but you will also work for a company that believes in reinvesting in the community, and YOU will be a critical piece in providing quality apartments to families of all income levels who are honored to call the community where you work HOME.

Cons

Re: CEO
    Only con is his undying faith in IU basketball...BUT loyalty is a great characteristic for everyone - especially the CEO.

Continue to strive for greatness...which must involve change as the industry changes.

''Great Place To Hone Your Craft"

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the fact that once you arrive on the property,the sense of gratitude overtakes you!! Solidifying a standard of hard work can be easily noticed by upper management.I look a my position as something long term within the company knowing the learning curve will NEVER end.

Cons

I wish that more vacation/pto time could be added or separated. I also would love that everyone could be on one common ground regardless of "postion" when it comes down to communication even when it's abnormal( My utopian way of thinking). I also feel that more training will benefit growth within properties.

Never feel that you have arrived and even the greatest of us can take advice from someone in a lower capacity. Those type of employees will ALWAYS be loyal even when times are low. Be Humble!!

Satisfied Employee!

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, 401K, flexible hours (no weekends), training, holidays and bonuses. This company was started by Mr. Glick many years ago (way before me!) and he did have a certain standard. Many employees feel that this standard is not being utilized in the proper way or the way that he would have before he passed. This may also be coming from employees or former employees that have only worked at this company, some many years. In 15 years, I have worked for at least 6 different management companies before coming to Glick. I know that this is a business, even though it is also geared to assist people/ residents. In a business you have to take the good with the bad and know that the business has to be taken care of. I have accepted every change, responsibility, or tool given to me because I know that at the end of the day, I work for a ompany that is not like any other business. I do believe that some change is not always good, but I, personally have not seen that side of Glick. I enjoy this company and I enjoy the benefits of the company. I have never been micromanaged except when I first started and was training. Doing my job to the best of my ability is what is expected and that's what I do.

Cons

Having a HUD base on income property has its challenges. I think that all HUD properties could use more money and resources, but, with that said- we are in a business.

Listen to your employees! They tell you what they want and need- just listen. Everything cannot be handled, but an open ear always helps.

So much promise

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gene B. Glick Company full-time

Pros

Company with great a great product who has many employees who are interested in helping the company succeed. They have great ideas for growth and improvement.

Cons

Management doesn't set a strong example in teaming. There is a thick atmosphere of "it's all about me" mentality with managers, trying to push themselves ahead with the limited opportunities there. Employees imitate these attitudes and you can see it in the siloed positions they take. You really have to be tough mentally to survive in what is a very stifling environment. People are often unwilling to share information and experience with people not in these small groups and are rarely willing to listen to different points of view. They are so afraid that someone outside their small group is going to get ahead of them. And so because of these attitudes the growth of the company will be slow and painful until these thing that oppose growth are honestly addressed.

The environment of fear and pride will continue to interfere with the progress of the company if it isn't seriously looked at. Management has to be concerned with employees teaming because it's the right thing to do. Because it creates a healthy environment where everybody wants everybody to succeed. It can't just be about teaming so that management and the company will be more profitable.