Gene B. Glick Company

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014

Gene B. Glick Company President & CEO David O. Barrett
David O. Barrett

Best company I've ever worked for

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I absolutely love working at Glick. I really enjoy my job and feel appreciated everyday. My supervisor is great and trusts me to manage my own time which is refreshing. I’ve taken on more responsibility since I first started with the company and it’s exciting to be given so many opportunities that add different facets to my job. I can tell that I am valued by my peers and supervisor.

Senior management is very personable and willing to listen which seems to be a rarity in other companies. You may not always get the answer that you want, but you will be heard because your opinions and concerns matter.

There are plenty of perks to working at Glick including great benefits, opportunities to volunteer, company events, etc. Their motto is “our business is family” and I definitely see that in the way employees are treated. I love this company and this job!

Cons

I know you can find this anywhere, but there are some people with negative attitudes that tend to drag others down with them. It can be frustrating because it seems the behavior is noticed but there does not appear to be redirection to improve it.

Keep listening to your employees and don't be afraid of changing for the better.

My experience working for this company has been nothing but positive.

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for this company. Not only do they provide opportunities for advancement, but they support and develop employees to be successful. The leadership team, while supportive and professional, are also personable and fun. There is definitely a feeling of family among employees. The benefits are great and the company goes to great lengths to keep our healthcare costs down. Upper management values "out-of-the-box" thinking and is receptive to all ideas I have ever brought to them.

Cons

I am hard pressed to find cons. Perhaps the biggest con is the building where the corporate office is housed. We have outgrown the office space... the new space can't come soon enough!

Love the open door policy and the communication methods in place.

GREAT company...period.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT company that not only cares about, and gives back to the community but does the same for its employees. The Gene B. Glick company is about family...not just the residents served but the company culture is consistent with a family feel as well. This means from Executive Leadership down, management is approachable and is supportive of the growth of its employees. I have worked in a corporate environment where sales alone drove decision making and employees were micormanaged. Glick prides itslef on providing a great apartment home for all people regardless of income levels. Providing a great product and service to residents means you must not only value and invest in employees, but they must also be trusted to do their job well, without being micromanaged. Glick delivers on all ends. This is why you will find employees who have worked at Glick for 20 to 30+ years, which is unheard of today.

Working at Glick means you will not only generate income for yourself and have the opportunity to grow professionally, but you will also work for a company that believes in reinvesting in the community, and YOU will be a critical piece in providing quality apartments to families of all income levels who are honored to call the community where you work HOME.

Cons

Re: CEO
    Only con is his undying faith in IU basketball...BUT loyalty is a great characteristic for everyone - especially the CEO.

Continue to strive for greatness...which must involve change as the industry changes.

''Great Place To Hone Your Craft"

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the fact that once you arrive on the property,the sense of gratitude overtakes you!! Solidifying a standard of hard work can be easily noticed by upper management.I look a my position as something long term within the company knowing the learning curve will NEVER end.

Cons

I wish that more vacation/pto time could be added or separated. I also would love that everyone could be on one common ground regardless of "postion" when it comes down to communication even when it's abnormal( My utopian way of thinking). I also feel that more training will benefit growth within properties.

Never feel that you have arrived and even the greatest of us can take advice from someone in a lower capacity. Those type of employees will ALWAYS be loyal even when times are low. Be Humble!!

Satisfied Employee!

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, 401K, flexible hours (no weekends), training, holidays and bonuses. This company was started by Mr. Glick many years ago (way before me!) and he did have a certain standard. Many employees feel that this standard is not being utilized in the proper way or the way that he would have before he passed. This may also be coming from employees or former employees that have only worked at this company, some many years. In 15 years, I have worked for at least 6 different management companies before coming to Glick. I know that this is a business, even though it is also geared to assist people/ residents. In a business you have to take the good with the bad and know that the business has to be taken care of. I have accepted every change, responsibility, or tool given to me because I know that at the end of the day, I work for a ompany that is not like any other business. I do believe that some change is not always good, but I, personally have not seen that side of Glick. I enjoy this company and I enjoy the benefits of the company. I have never been micromanaged except when I first started and was training. Doing my job to the best of my ability is what is expected and that's what I do.

Cons

Having a HUD base on income property has its challenges. I think that all HUD properties could use more money and resources, but, with that said- we are in a business.

Listen to your employees! They tell you what they want and need- just listen. Everything cannot be handled, but an open ear always helps.

So much promise

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gene B. Glick Company full-time

Pros

Company with great a great product who has many employees who are interested in helping the company succeed. They have great ideas for growth and improvement.

Cons

Management doesn't set a strong example in teaming. There is a thick atmosphere of "it's all about me" mentality with managers, trying to push themselves ahead with the limited opportunities there. Employees imitate these attitudes and you can see it in the siloed positions they take. You really have to be tough mentally to survive in what is a very stifling environment. People are often unwilling to share information and experience with people not in these small groups and are rarely willing to listen to different points of view. They are so afraid that someone outside their small group is going to get ahead of them. And so because of these attitudes the growth of the company will be slow and painful until these thing that oppose growth are honestly addressed.

The environment of fear and pride will continue to interfere with the progress of the company if it isn't seriously looked at. Management has to be concerned with employees teaming because it's the right thing to do. Because it creates a healthy environment where everybody wants everybody to succeed. It can't just be about teaming so that management and the company will be more profitable.

Gene B Glick Is No Longer the Company to Work For

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The 401k and profit sharing programs were great. I do miss that aspect. PTO was great too.

Cons

The company is extremely "clique(y)". There was a tremendous amount of back stabbing and throwing people under the bus, specifically those that could no longer defend themselves (previous employees). The RPM over my previous region would tell you how great you were when she needed you, then fail to acknowledge your existence when she didn't. I watched as different areas of the company ate each other alive and talked so poorly about each other that I decided I no longer wanted to be a part of it and left.

It's truly heart-breaking to watch this company's values decline. When I was hired on, I had heard of all the great stories, but quickly realized that this company does not value their employees as many believed. This was a common consensus among many different employees in many different roles. Executive Management at Gene B Glick: Please value your employees better. Happy employees will generate happy work and better numbers. Please do not take advantage of the fact that jobs are hard to come by. Please hold those responsible that abuse their roles. Help your employees to have pride in where they work and truly analyze why they stay or what their concerns may be. And if they decide to leave one day, like I did, don't let them leave with a bad taste.

Disappointed

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time

Pros

There are benefits available, such as 401K and profit sharing. There are several paid holidays. The company does give back to the community.

Cons

Working for this company, you see people placed in job positions that they are not qualified for. The training offered is not sufficient. You watch people as they are set up to fail. At first, I thought they were just "quick hires". As time has passed, I have learned that is not the case. It depends who you know and how well you are liked. The rules are different for everyone. People are hired before positions are available. Any concerns you have, best left unspoken. I appreciate a challenge and exceptional amount of responsibility. However, you are given an unreasonable workload and insufficient staffing. Don't be surprised if you are told there will be a position created for you or that you will quickly be advanced / promoted. You will be lied to. You will go nowhere with this company.

I would take a serious look at the conventional side of this company. I would start in areas of high staff turn over and start asking questions. Start to value the dedicated, honest employees.

Solid Company, Decent Benefits, Ok work environment

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Opportunities for Advancement (corporate office mostly)

Cons

Work environment, Changes after Founder's Death, More Focused on Money than Customer Service, Micro-Management

Remember the principles the company was founded on and the mission of Mr. Glick.

All the good didn't hide the bad.

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation and perks were great. There were a lot of company parties/outings/philanthropy projects which were fun. Fair amount of PTO and a nice office environment.

Cons

I worked at the corporate office and saw first hand how bad the back stabbing and games were. One wrong move and you were thrown under the bus. The deceitful behavior penetrated the entire organization all the way from the executive leadership to HR.

Try building a culture that promotes team members holding each other accountable instead of running to management or leadership every time they are upset about how another person is doing their job. I think this company could be great if some work were done and a culture shift was able to happen.