Gene B. Glick Company

David O. Barrett

GREAT company...period.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT company that not only cares about, and gives back to the community but does the same for its employees. The Gene B. Glick company is about family...not just the residents served but the company culture is consistent with a family feel as well. This means from Executive Leadership down, management is approachable and is supportive of the growth of its employees. I have worked in a corporate environment where sales alone drove decision making and employees were micormanaged. Glick prides itslef on providing a great apartment home for all people regardless of income levels. Providing a great product and service to residents means you must not only value and invest in employees, but they must also be trusted to do their job well, without being micromanaged. Glick delivers on all ends. This is why you will find employees who have worked at Glick for 20 to 30+ years, which is unheard of today.

Working at Glick means you will not only generate income for yourself and have the opportunity to grow professionally, but you will also work for a company that believes in reinvesting in the community, and YOU will be a critical piece in providing quality apartments to families of all income levels who are honored to call the community where you work HOME.

Cons

Re: CEO
    Only con is his undying faith in IU basketball...BUT loyalty is a great characteristic for everyone - especially the CEO.

Continue to strive for greatness...which must involve change as the industry changes.

''Great Place To Hone Your Craft"

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the fact that once you arrive on the property,the sense of gratitude overtakes you!! Solidifying a standard of hard work can be easily noticed by upper management.I look a my position as something long term within the company knowing the learning curve will NEVER end.

Cons

I wish that more vacation/pto time could be added or separated. I also would love that everyone could be on one common ground regardless of "postion" when it comes down to communication even when it's abnormal( My utopian way of thinking). I also feel that more training will benefit growth within properties.

Never feel that you have arrived and even the greatest of us can take advice from someone in a lower capacity. Those type of employees will ALWAYS be loyal even when times are low. Be Humble!!

Satisfied Employee!

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, 401K, flexible hours (no weekends), training, holidays and bonuses. This company was started by Mr. Glick many years ago (way before me!) and he did have a certain standard. Many employees feel that this standard is not being utilized in the proper way or the way that he would have before he passed. This may also be coming from employees or former employees that have only worked at this company, some many years. In 15 years, I have worked for at least 6 different management companies before coming to Glick. I know that this is a business, even though it is also geared to assist people/ residents. In a business you have to take the good with the bad and know that the business has to be taken care of. I have accepted every change, responsibility, or tool given to me because I know that at the end of the day, I work for a ompany that is not like any other business. I do believe that some change is not always good, but I, personally have not seen that side of Glick. I enjoy this company and I enjoy the benefits of the company. I have never been micromanaged except when I first started and was training. Doing my job to the best of my ability is what is expected and that's what I do.

Cons

Having a HUD base on income property has its challenges. I think that all HUD properties could use more money and resources, but, with that said- we are in a business.

Listen to your employees! They tell you what they want and need- just listen. Everything cannot be handled, but an open ear always helps.

So much promise

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gene B. Glick Company full-time

Pros

Company with great a great product who has many employees who are interested in helping the company succeed. They have great ideas for growth and improvement.

Cons

Management doesn't set a strong example in teaming. There is a thick atmosphere of "it's all about me" mentality with managers, trying to push themselves ahead with the limited opportunities there. Employees imitate these attitudes and you can see it in the siloed positions they take. You really have to be tough mentally to survive in what is a very stifling environment. People are often unwilling to share information and experience with people not in these small groups and are rarely willing to listen to different points of view. They are so afraid that someone outside their small group is going to get ahead of them. And so because of these attitudes the growth of the company will be slow and painful until these thing that oppose growth are honestly addressed.

The environment of fear and pride will continue to interfere with the progress of the company if it isn't seriously looked at. Management has to be concerned with employees teaming because it's the right thing to do. Because it creates a healthy environment where everybody wants everybody to succeed. It can't just be about teaming so that management and the company will be more profitable.

Gene B Glick Is No Longer the Company to Work For

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The 401k and profit sharing programs were great. I do miss that aspect. PTO was great too.

Cons

The company is extremely "clique(y)". There was a tremendous amount of back stabbing and throwing people under the bus, specifically those that could no longer defend themselves (previous employees). The RPM over my previous region would tell you how great you were when she needed you, then fail to acknowledge your existence when she didn't. I watched as different areas of the company ate each other alive and talked so poorly about each other that I decided I no longer wanted to be a part of it and left.

It's truly heart-breaking to watch this company's values decline. When I was hired on, I had heard of all the great stories, but quickly realized that this company does not value their employees as many believed. This was a common consensus among many different employees in many different roles. Executive Management at Gene B Glick: Please value your employees better. Happy employees will generate happy work and better numbers. Please do not take advantage of the fact that jobs are hard to come by. Please hold those responsible that abuse their roles. Help your employees to have pride in where they work and truly analyze why they stay or what their concerns may be. And if they decide to leave one day, like I did, don't let them leave with a bad taste.

Solid Company, Decent Benefits, Ok work environment

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Opportunities for Advancement (corporate office mostly)

Cons

Work environment, Changes after Founder's Death, More Focused on Money than Customer Service, Micro-Management

Remember the principles the company was founded on and the mission of Mr. Glick.

Disappointed

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time

Pros

There are benefits available, such as 401K and profit sharing. There are several paid holidays. The company does give back to the community.

Cons

Working for this company, you see people placed in job positions that they are not qualified for. The training offered is not sufficient. You watch people as they are set up to fail. At first, I thought they were just "quick hires". As time has passed, I have learned that is not the case. It depends who you know and how well you are liked. The rules are different for everyone. People are hired before positions are available. Any concerns you have, best left unspoken. I appreciate a challenge and exceptional amount of responsibility. However, you are given an unreasonable workload and insufficient staffing. Don't be surprised if you are told there will be a position created for you or that you will quickly be advanced / promoted. You will be lied to. You will go nowhere with this company.

I would take a serious look at the conventional side of this company. I would start in areas of high staff turn over and start asking questions. Start to value the dedicated, honest employees.

All the good didn't hide the bad.

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation and perks were great. There were a lot of company parties/outings/philanthropy projects which were fun. Fair amount of PTO and a nice office environment.

Cons

I worked at the corporate office and saw first hand how bad the back stabbing and games were. One wrong move and you were thrown under the bus. The deceitful behavior penetrated the entire organization all the way from the executive leadership to HR.

Try building a culture that promotes team members holding each other accountable instead of running to management or leadership every time they are upset about how another person is doing their job. I think this company could be great if some work were done and a culture shift was able to happen.

Management

I have been working at Gene B. Glick Company (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training available. If you are at a premium property life is good. Just don't work at the tax credit property unless you enjoy the the unrealistic tight budgets. Two totally different styles of management.

Cons

Too much drama and gossiping permitted. Professionalism seems to be slipping quickly since Mr. Glick himself has passed. We need to watch who is representing our name not just on the bottom line number.

Lacking advancement opportunities.

Benefits have declined the last year as with many other qualities about the company since the passing of Mr. Glick.

If they don't have a college degree...they should NOT be in management. There is a certain maturity and professionalism that seems to be lacking.

Our Business is (not) Family

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gene B. Glick Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits at this company were endless. Great insurance, lots of paid time off and lots of everyday perks.

Cons

Everyone was worried about their job. There was a lot of backstabbing and firing that went on. It seemed as though management and HR worked together against employees.

Work to make employees feel more secure in their job. I left because I couldn't stand the fear I would get fired every time I made any kind of mistake. If something is an issue, sit your people down and talk to them about it. You're a great company with a lot to offer the people who work for you. I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't work to improve if they were kept in the loop.