Gene B Glick Management

Add Photos

Gene B Glick Management President & CEO David O. Barrett

David O. Barrett

Management

ProsLots of training available. If you are at a premium property life is good. Just don't work at the tax credit property unless you enjoy the the unrealistic tight budgets. Two totally different styles of management.

ConsToo much drama and gossiping permitted. Professionalism seems to be slipping quickly since Mr. Glick himself has passed. We need to watch who is representing our name not just on the bottom line number.

Lacking advancement opportunities.

Benefits have declined the last year as with many other qualities about the company since the passing of Mr. Glick.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf they don't have a college degree...they should NOT be in management. There is a certain maturity and professionalism that seems to be lacking.

Resident

ProsGood neighbors! Friendly neighbors and pets! Good area!

ConsIt takes way too long to get simple maintenance done. It took over 5 months to get a kitchen light fix. It has taken over 9 months to fix an ac unit that still doesn't work properly. It has taken over 3 weeks to repair water damage from another units hot water heater. The damage to the carpet, walls to hall way, bedroom, and living room areas. Mold developed on the walls of the coat closet ruining leather products and items with more personal value than face value. the water damage from the washer hook up unit from another unit hasn't even been looked at. the maintenance man said leave the pan under the leakmand it should be fine he turned off the water upstairs. The vertical blinds have never opened for 3 years. We were told they would be replaced before we moved in. A burner was missing on the stove before we moved still missing! This is only a few of the issues we have had within the time we have been here.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your residents! Do your part and we will do ours! Do repairs in a timely manner! Do regular maintenance! it will cut down on a lot of the issues and in the long run save time and money! Respect your clients! Some of the maintenance people DO NOT respect the clients! The last thing clients or residents need is a upset maintenance man coming in to do a repair. Residents are people not animals! Even children and adults are feelings!

Staff Support

ProsStrong focus on employee health, like programs for weight watchers, monthly health classes, free gym access, yearly physicals. A lot of volunteer programs.

ConsCliques so thick you can cut them with a knife, lack of trust in management, back-stabbing peers and co workers. Management who support "yes" people and refuse to take a hard look at issues to create positive change. A lot of self important people so blinded by their own ambitions and egos that they can't begin to look at the real issues to develop the company's potential to be a really great company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEgos get in the way of seeing what's working well and what needs to change.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Our Business is (not) Family

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsBenefits at this company were endless. Great insurance, lots of paid time off and lots of everyday perks.

ConsEveryone was worried about their job. There was a lot of backstabbing and firing that went on. It seemed as though management and HR worked together against employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to make employees feel more secure in their job. I left because I couldn't stand the fear I would get fired every time I made any kind of mistake. If something is an issue, sit your people down and talk to them about it. You're a great company with a lot to offer the people who work for you. I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't work to improve if they were kept in the loop.

Former Property Manager

Elkhart, IN

ProsRetirement 401K program vacation and PTO

ConsWe were expected to make a silk purse out of a sows ears in one of the worst economic times (2009). Being in the "RV" capital of the world its a very blue collar area. People work hard for their money and want the best they can possibly get. I was lied to and strung along just to get through a section 8 inspection. I was told I didn't do everything I could to make the property the best it could be ! Bottom line my salary was nice and the property was not performimg like it previously had due to the poor economy (18% unemployment! ) so they eliminated me to help the bottom line. The reports were ridiculous!

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at how Mr. Glick ran the company for years, it was one of the best. Follow that example and you may have a chance to be successful again. At this rate it is headed down fast.

Room for advancement

Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsTraining is outstanding! Glick gives you the tools you need to succeed. Dollar for dollar matched 401K, pay is pretty good, paid holidays, even your birthday is a holiday!

ConsHave to use PTO even when the Mayor orders a city shut-down due to inclimate weather, upper management at property level does not listen to resident concerns, and they don't show their appreciation for employees for a job well done.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with staff more; the office can get stressful, don't add to it.

Kettle meet Black

Mishawaka, IN

ProsThe insurance benefits are pretty good. I'm not sure what next year will bring with the healtcare changes in the nation though. The training is pretty good too. They invest quite a bit of money into their software applications which is a good thing as well.

ConsThe Regional Manager lies and only takes care of those close to her. If she doesn't like you then you will be forced out despite how well you do your job and have the numbers to prove it. Writing to HR does nothing so eventually you just give up. There can be no personal growth if those in corporate are being fed a story that is false.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look at those who are tasked to run your conventional side. Mr. Glick firmly believed in a strong work ethic and what I see happening is so wrong on so many different levels it is scary. Maybe the lawsuits you are fighting with your former employees are more justified than you are being told (no, I am not one of them).

Upper management is way too out of touch with onsite management.

Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe retirement plan in place is great. That really is the only pro, other than some pretty nice folks who work in the field.

ConsThe onsite management staff is treated terribly by upper management. There is an incredible amount of pressure placed on the staff (especially the property managers and maintenance supervisors) to work an unrealistic amount of hours, leaving little time for family or anything else. Manual reports seem to be duplicated constantly which is a ridiculous waste of time when all the information can be found on the computer by those asking for the manual reports. It almost becomes laughable as the reports are completed. The offices are not very safe either, especially considering upper management wants you to pretty much live in your office (and not get a promised pay raise or any OT) for this.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr. Glick is probably rolling over in his grave at what his company that he nurtured for so long has turned into. This company is now a joke. No one cares about how employees are treated onsite (or in the corporate office from what I understand). This needs to be turned around before this company nose-dives into nothing. When employees tell supervisors they need more help or instruction, someone in upper management needs to listen to that. You are losing quality, long-term people who truly cared about their jobs and were dedicated to making the company prosperous because the employees feel their voices fall on deaf ears. Oh sure, you can act like you listen and send out questionaires, and then never put any changes in place. That just makes the employees doubt everything even more, feeling like it is just a ploy or a show to quiet everyone down. Get with the program. It's really sad I feel this way about a company I worked for so long. I thought I would be there for many, many years :(

Dissappointed

Property Manager (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe pay is average for the industry.

ConsManagement is aloof and does not appreciate staff, benefits get worse every year. People get fired and demoted constantly without merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis used to be a company with a solid positive reputation. Listen to what employees are trying to tell you, eventually it will be aparent in your bottom line. It is possible to have both profit and staff that enjoy coming to work.

They don't appreciate their staff

Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsDecent pay, Great benefits and paid holidays.

ConsVery stressful, lack of training for new hires on site. Fire employees on medical leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn the surface this company seems to care about its employees and offers great benefits and decent pay for the industry. However, after my personal experience with them, I don't believe this to be true any longer. I was a new hire (2 weeks) and was involved in an accident at the start of my 3rd week. I was out for one week on my doctor's orders and was not completely cleared back to work, when the Property Manager called to let me go. This goes to show how they truly feel about their employees.

Worked for Gene B Glick Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gene B Glick Management reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gene B Glick Management CEO David O. Barrett. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Gene B Glick Management employees.