Gene B Glick Management

David O. Barrett

Solid Company, Decent Benefits, Ok work environment

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I have been working at Gene B Glick Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Opportunities for Advancement (corporate office mostly)

Cons

Work environment, Changes after Founder's Death, More Focused on Money than Customer Service, Micro-Management

Remember the principles the company was founded on and the mission of Mr. Glick.

So much promise

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gene B Glick Management full-time

Pros

Company with great a great product who has many employees who are interested in helping the company succeed. They have great ideas for growth and improvement.

Cons

Management doesn't set a strong example in teaming. There is a thick atmosphere of "it's all about me" mentality with managers, trying to push themselves ahead with the limited opportunities there. Employees imitate these attitudes and you can see it in the siloed positions they take. You really have to be tough mentally to survive in what is a very stifling environment. People are often unwilling to share information and experience with people not in these small groups and are rarely willing to listen to different points of view. They are so afraid that someone outside their small group is going to get ahead of them. And so because of these attitudes the growth of the company will be slow and painful until these thing that oppose growth are honestly addressed.

The environment of fear and pride will continue to interfere with the progress of the company if it isn't seriously looked at. Management has to be concerned with employees teaming because it's the right thing to do. Because it creates a healthy environment where everybody wants everybody to succeed. It can't just be about teaming so that management and the company will be more profitable.

Gene B Glick Is No Longer the Company to Work For

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Gene B Glick Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The 401k and profit sharing programs were great. I do miss that aspect. PTO was great too.

Cons

The company is extremely "clique(y)". There was a tremendous amount of back stabbing and throwing people under the bus, specifically those that could no longer defend themselves (previous employees). The RPM over my previous region would tell you how great you were when she needed you, then fail to acknowledge your existence when she didn't. I watched as different areas of the company ate each other alive and talked so poorly about each other that I decided I no longer wanted to be a part of it and left.

It's truly heart-breaking to watch this company's values decline. When I was hired on, I had heard of all the great stories, but quickly realized that this company does not value their employees as many believed. This was a common consensus among many different employees in many different roles. Executive Management at Gene B Glick: Please value your employees better. Happy employees will generate happy work and better numbers. Please do not take advantage of the fact that jobs are hard to come by. Please hold those responsible that abuse their roles. Help your employees to have pride in where they work and truly analyze why they stay or what their concerns may be. And if they decide to leave one day, like I did, don't let them leave with a bad taste.

Disappointed

I have been working at Gene B Glick Management full-time

Pros

There are benefits available, such as 401K and profit sharing. There are several paid holidays. The company does give back to the community.

Cons

Working for this company, you see people placed in job positions that they are not qualified for. The training offered is not sufficient. You watch people as they are set up to fail. At first, I thought they were just "quick hires". As time has passed, I have learned that is not the case. It depends who you know and how well you are liked. The rules are different for everyone. People are hired before positions are available. Any concerns you have, best left unspoken. I appreciate a challenge and exceptional amount of responsibility. However, you are given an unreasonable workload and insufficient staffing. Don't be surprised if you are told there will be a position created for you or that you will quickly be advanced / promoted. You will be lied to. You will go nowhere with this company.

I would take a serious look at the conventional side of this company. I would start in areas of high staff turn over and start asking questions. Start to value the dedicated, honest employees.

All the good didn't hide the bad.

I have been working at Gene B Glick Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation and perks were great. There were a lot of company parties/outings/philanthropy projects which were fun. Fair amount of PTO and a nice office environment.

Cons

I worked at the corporate office and saw first hand how bad the back stabbing and games were. One wrong move and you were thrown under the bus. The deceitful behavior penetrated the entire organization all the way from the executive leadership to HR.

Try building a culture that promotes team members holding each other accountable instead of running to management or leadership every time they are upset about how another person is doing their job. I think this company could be great if some work were done and a culture shift was able to happen.

Management

I have been working at Gene B Glick Management (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training available. If you are at a premium property life is good. Just don't work at the tax credit property unless you enjoy the the unrealistic tight budgets. Two totally different styles of management.

Cons

Too much drama and gossiping permitted. Professionalism seems to be slipping quickly since Mr. Glick himself has passed. We need to watch who is representing our name not just on the bottom line number.

Lacking advancement opportunities.

Benefits have declined the last year as with many other qualities about the company since the passing of Mr. Glick.

If they don't have a college degree...they should NOT be in management. There is a certain maturity and professionalism that seems to be lacking.

Resident

I have been working at Gene B Glick Management

Pros

Good neighbors! Friendly neighbors and pets! Good area!

Cons

It takes way too long to get simple maintenance done. It took over 5 months to get a kitchen light fix. It has taken over 9 months to fix an ac unit that still doesn't work properly. It has taken over 3 weeks to repair water damage from another units hot water heater. The damage to the carpet, walls to hall way, bedroom, and living room areas. Mold developed on the walls of the coat closet ruining leather products and items with more personal value than face value. the water damage from the washer hook up unit from another unit hasn't even been looked at. the maintenance man said leave the pan under the leakmand it should be fine he turned off the water upstairs. The vertical blinds have never opened for 3 years. We were told they would be replaced before we moved in. A burner was missing on the stove before we moved still missing! This is only a few of the issues we have had within the time we have been here.

Listen to your residents! Do your part and we will do ours! Do repairs in a timely manner! Do regular maintenance! it will cut down on a lot of the issues and in the long run save time and money! Respect your clients! Some of the maintenance people DO NOT respect the clients! The last thing clients or residents need is a upset maintenance man coming in to do a repair. Residents are people not animals! Even children and adults are feelings!

Former Property Manager

Former Employee - Property Manager in Elkhart, IN
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Elkhart, IN

I worked at Gene B Glick Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement 401K program vacation and PTO

Cons

We were expected to make a silk purse out of a sows ears in one of the worst economic times (2009). Being in the "RV" capital of the world its a very blue collar area. People work hard for their money and want the best they can possibly get. I was lied to and strung along just to get through a section 8 inspection. I was told I didn't do everything I could to make the property the best it could be ! Bottom line my salary was nice and the property was not performimg like it previously had due to the poor economy (18% unemployment! ) so they eliminated me to help the bottom line. The reports were ridiculous!

Look at how Mr. Glick ran the company for years, it was one of the best. Follow that example and you may have a chance to be successful again. At this rate it is headed down fast.

Our Business is (not) Family

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Gene B Glick Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits at this company were endless. Great insurance, lots of paid time off and lots of everyday perks.

Cons

Everyone was worried about their job. There was a lot of backstabbing and firing that went on. It seemed as though management and HR worked together against employees.

Work to make employees feel more secure in their job. I left because I couldn't stand the fear I would get fired every time I made any kind of mistake. If something is an issue, sit your people down and talk to them about it. You're a great company with a lot to offer the people who work for you. I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't work to improve if they were kept in the loop.

Room for advancement

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Gene B Glick Management full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training is outstanding! Glick gives you the tools you need to succeed. Dollar for dollar matched 401K, pay is pretty good, paid holidays, even your birthday is a holiday!

Cons

Have to use PTO even when the Mayor orders a city shut-down due to inclimate weather, upper management at property level does not listen to resident concerns, and they don't show their appreciation for employees for a job well done.

Communicate with staff more; the office can get stressful, don't add to it.