Gene Juarez

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Janet Denyer

Gene Juarez was the best company I ever worked for!

Client Service Manager (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsEvery day is different - we work in customer service and there are challenges with that but you learn so much working for this company. There is huge room for advancement with how big the company is. If you're a hard worker, they believe in you and do whatever they can to help you grow! You work closely with many types of people so work is always fun. You build relationships with your coworkers and they are some of the best friends I have ever had. I loved this job and it was so hard to leave.

ConsThe schedule can be tricky with so many different hours - nights and weekends - but it is retail and is to be expected. The pay starts small but like I said before, if you're a hard worker, you will quickly advance and your pay will as well. Working with customers can be a challenge but it can also be rewarding and quite entertaining.

Lazy managers, rude artists and grouchy customers

GSR (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsAbsolutely no pros to working at this company.

ConsFirst, management is extremely lazy. A few particular managers are completely incapable and are clearly not paid enough to care about the guests and the employees. I've only worked at Gene Juarez for about two months and left around the middle of May but I can see why so many GSRs circle out of the company.
    Second, watch out for the artists. Some go by this "kill the messenger" mantra and will get extremely mad at you when you are talking to them and helping them with a client. Certain ones are more prone to this immature behavior and they tend to be senior artists and a few select "lower level" artists. Be on the look out for the obvious, stuck-up "talent" they have roaming the company. These select individuals are given preferential treatment and are allowed to upset customers and employees. Make sure to understand that these artists are socially incapable of treating others with respect, especially the front desk team. I've witnessed several instances with artists being blatantly rude with the GSR staff.
    Lastly, this is the most THANKLESS job you will ever have in your life. Customers are consistently rude and disrespectful. You are disposable and replaceable. You are simply another body that they pay minimum wage (THIS IS GENE JUAREZ, WHY ARE YOU PAYING YOUR OVER WORKED STAFF SO LITTLE WHEN YOU ARE A SUPPOSED "HUGE MONEY MAKER" and the "BEST IN THE BUSINESS"?) The new CEO could care less for the GSR. Spa hostesses and dispensary employees because quite frankly, he does not give two cents for anyone who does not rake in the money so he can spend it on his mansion and golf clubs.
    Prepare yourself for one of the most physically demanding job and emotionally demanding job. And prepare yourself for your small paycheck you will receive when you know you deserve two to three times more.
    Gene Juarez will be around a lot longer but will eventually crumble due to it's restructuring, crappy CEO and obvious downhill practices that they have implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementGET OFF YOUR FAT BUTTS.

Great perks, and that's about it.

Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsPaid training, basically all your services are less than $20, if you are full time its guaranteed, above minimum wage, possibility to work with some great staff. Selling is not a requirement, but you have the chance to to make extra money. AMAZING Christmas party!

ConsHours are horrible, no chance of having a life around your schedule. I always had to have open availability with a fluctuating schedule every week, so making plans with friends was almost impossible. No communication through management, there is alot of playing favorites among the GSR staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good

Designer (Current Employee) Silverdale, WA

Prosgood money if you work your butt off. Chance to make a lot in tips. Some great employees and education.

Conshave to put in a lot of time work and sacrifices. Not everyone is friendly polite curious and helpful!

I really enjoyed working at the Home Office.

Guest Reservations Specialist (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsCasual work environment.
    Friendly.
    Team work.
    Open-door policy.

ConsWhen I worked here the pay was low.
    Difficult to get time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the management was awesome! Especially Ashley, Kendra, Rachel! Great people to be on shift with!

TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT AT GENE JUAREZ BELLEVUE, DESPERATE FOR GSR's, ALWAYS SHORT STAFFED

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsThe only reason I stayed for as long as I did was because of the good product and service discounts. Good thing I didn't really need this job. The pay isn't good but it's enough if you're a student that doesn't need to pay rent or major bills.

ConsThe management is terrible. The managers are never to be seen and when you go looking for them, you'll find them in the office texting on their phones and snap chatting with their shoes off exposing their toes. They never want to deal with a guest issue and act like it's your fault when you ask them for help. Yet, they get angry when you handle a guest issue yourself without finding them first. I have went weeks without talking to half of my managers. SO SAD AND UNPROFESSIONAL. At least touch base with your staff by acknowledging their presence. Saying hello isn't difficult. I have been wanting to work for this company for so long, and when I finally had the chance to, I jumped at the opportunity. I soon realized how sloppy everyone is. It is said that GSRs don't last very long in the salon. OF COURSE we don't. When I was working there, I was treated like dirt. I did not have any proper training and when I asked for additional training, they act like it never happened, yet they blamed me for having too many cashier errors. I did not have any training on the cash register! It wasn't even mentioned when I had basic training at the home office. This job dehumanized me, and I will never want to work for another salon like this again. I'm a hard working person and I was constantly picked on by the management and other front desk workers. The managers didn't do anything to stop me getting harassed at work every day by a bunch of low life high school drop outs. So I had to threaten to file for harassment. The managers are lazy and talk bad about employees to each other. They have favorites and don't mind showing it. This place wasn't worth a two week notice, I just up and quit. From how terrible they treated me, they deserved it. Gene Juarez's company is going downhill ever since he sold it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to be leaders. Don't hang out with your co workers and talk about the drunk night you had before. Gene Juarez would have NEVER tolerated the management's behavior.

Excellent pay & benefits

Front Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsPay higher than most salons, benefits, gain useful experience

ConsVarying schedules, turnover results from inexperienced management, favoritism shown for promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain management team to adapt better, base promotions on skills and tenure, treat every employee fairly

A good learning experience for me

Guest Service Representative (Front Desk) (Former Employee) Lynnwood, WA

Pros- Decent starting pay for a no-experience required job. Over min wage.
    - Paid training by a wonderful teacher, I think her name is Cal?
    - Professional work environment: taught me how to be more customer service oriented and present myself more professionally. This is a skill that I feel everyone should possess.
    - Good learning experience ^
    - Helpful and friendly management. My managers were really nice and good teachers, especially during training and even when bringing up issues like write ups.
    - Lots of employees, mostly women. There was something like 3-5 guys in the entire salon. You work with a ton of people.
    - 2 consecutive days off every week-- keyword consecutive. This allowed me to go places over those two days.
    - Hour lunch break
    - "Perks of the job": free haircuts, discounted salon and spa services. Just be sure to tip your artists! Product discounts too.
    - Plenty of over time opportunities at different locations, at least while I was there.
    - There are benefits like insurance and stuff like that, I missed the class but others who attended took advantage of it.

Cons- Low raise rates, I heard it's something like .50 cents after one year.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, you guys are all great people :)

Exciting Opportunity to Work with the Seattle Area's Fashion Industry Leaders

Designer (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsInstant clientele, continuing education, excellent work atmosphere, great management, all around solid company

ConsLow commission percentages, they nickel and dime you quite a bit

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're awesome

great company

Prosgreat people to work with

Consslow times = no money

Worked for Gene Juarez? Contribute to the Community!