GeneDx

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014
2.6

Sherri Bale

Great as a first job, but leave before you start hating science

Former Employee - NextGen Technologist in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at GeneDx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company has such great potential and is really cutting edge in the field. They always were the first to bring in new technologies and equipment, and having them on your resume really is a huge plus. The other lab technicians are usually fantastic to work with and it was an overall positive atmosphere.

Cons

I took this job knowing it was low pay, but didn't realize how thoroughly they don't value their employees. We were told multiple times (and explicitly) that we were all expendable and that if we didn't like the pay we could leave to go somewhere else, and that they had resumes every day from people that were more qualified than us. There is extreme favoritism here, especially with middle management. If you want to survive, let alone thrive, you need to become buddy buddy with the right people, and it's obvious who they are. There is an atmosphere of snitching on fellow employees to give yourself an edge. The work is incredibly repetitive and so fast paced and demanding that you will become burnt out within a year. There is so much pressure that fudging results and covering up mistakes was pretty common, and no one cared about it.

This company has grown a lot since I started working there, but I think this is also its downfall. This company started so small, so those first people obviously became extreme favorites. As the company has grown, employees lower on the totem pole are looked down upon and growth within the company is at best unclear, and at worst discouraged. Start truly valuing all your employees more and give them reasons to feel proud working for the company. That's how you get truly happy employees and better results. The time and money you constantly spend on training new employees must be vastly greater than the cost of increasing the pay of your current employees making them happy.

Black Hole

Current Employee - DNA Technologist
    Current Employee - DNA Technologist

I have been working at GeneDx full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like others have said, it's a great place to learn new technologies and techniques when you're fresh out of college. They do provide a good service to clients and patients. They provide tuition reimbursement and encourage employees to attend continuing education courses.

Cons

Unless you are one of the "chosen ones", get really comfortable with the idea that you will not advance. Career growth is non-existent and the pay is laughable. You are severely overworked and not compensated accordingly. Communication between senior management, middle management and the rest of the company is seriously lacking. Decisions are made and stop at the senior level. Nothing really gets communicated to the rest of the employees and there is no transparency. They are quite good at luring and enticing new talent; however, keeping said talent is a whole other story. Retention is also a huge problem and this place has a revolving door. As soon as one employee gets hired another one is leaving. There are so many cons that this list could go on forever.

Make career paths clearer. Realize that happy employees are more productive. Do what you can to promote a happy and healthy work place. Cut out all the favoritism. Most importantly, have comparable compensation to other biotech companies.

Good place to learn new techniques but be prepared to live under the poverty line

Former Employee - NextGen Technologist in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at GeneDx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One gets to learn new lab techniques and operate various instruments. All of that makes up a good resume for the next job.
    Good co-workers make surviving here easier.
    Recent change in management has brought about some positive changes to certain departments. I am really hopeful that things will get better under this new management.

Cons

Under the previous management after joining the company one was made to sit (yes just sit doing nothing) for over a month before any sort of training began. Too much politics and favoritism in some departments. If you are in the good books you climb the ladder pretty quickly but if you are not pally with the right people you stay at the same position for years with nothing new to come. Moreover all the management team micromanages to the extent of questioning your 30 mins of lunch break. All this when the management team takes over hour long lunch breaks without clocking out.
    Management teams considers it beneath themselves to step into the lab and work. They remain mostly in their offices and only leave for meetings.
    My worst experience was when the director called for an emergency meeting and complained about some expired kits being thrown away before they could be used and told the techs that those were worth their yearly salary hence we should feel ashamed.

Stop micro managing. Its not a labor camp.
    And its ok to come to the lab, wear lab coat and gloves and work in the lab regardless of your position.
    Please define a clear path for getting promoted at the tech levels.
    Raise the salary for techs, they deserve it.

Rewarding yet monetarily demoralizing

Current Employee - NextGen Technologist in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - NextGen Technologist in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at GeneDx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

GeneDx offers great experience to people right out of college which can be hard to find. The technology is cutting edge for the industry and provides a great resume builder. The work atmosphere is relaxed for a tech level employee and most of the work is independent, but it can get repetitive.

Cons

You have to understand that when you accept the job the pay is sub par for the industry and unless you are one of the lucky ones, it won't get any better. Put in your time and it will be rewarded in the next job.

Below average company

Current Employee - MicroArray Tech in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - MicroArray Tech in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at GeneDx full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good health benefits.Getting experience with some of the cutting edge technologist.

Cons

Poor managements, very unprofessional supervisors. No appreciation for your work and all you can hear is supervisors complaining about you being an inefficient worker. Constancy in training is zero. Bad work environment, it is like being back in high school. extreme favoritism. Not recommending to anyone to work there.

Learned many things while sacrificing pay

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at GeneDx full-time

Pros

-Relaxed atmosphere
    -Good co-workers
    -Lots of new technology
    -Healthcare is included
    -Can cross-train if you know the right people
    -Many of the departments offer flexible hours

Cons

-Horrible middle management
    -Upper management does not recognize how bad middle management is
    -Salaries start at $32k/yr....raises are very slow and promotions do not exist
    -Can be stuck doing a stupid task if you do not know the right people

Develop an actual career path for employees, whip middle management into better shape, and recognize your hard workers and help them along and not just the "yes-men"...The employees help GeneDx make millions, yet the company offers nothing back to them besides frustration

A good place to start your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at GeneDx full-time

Pros

Depending on your role, there is room for growth. Your co-workers feel like family. Great product.

Cons

Depending on your role, there is no room for growth. Some jobs can be very repetitive. Career paths are very murky.

More transparency. Give people opportunities to grow.

Great experience and technologies

Current Employee - DNA Extraction Tech in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - DNA Extraction Tech in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at GeneDx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is always an opportunity to learn and grow. You are also always busy, which I view as a pro. The company has some of the most cutting edge technologies so getting experience in the field is good.

Cons

The pay isn't enough for how much you do. Also, management wants you to be independent but they still want to be apart of every decision. It can be very confusing when you get 2 different answer to the same question by different people.

Don't assume we feel confident on making a decision because something is not listed in an SOP. Also, saying to use your best judgement is not something you want to hear when you are asking a question concerning patient samples. Saying, well management told me to use my best judgement but I messed up, sounds horrible.

Good first job for coming right out of College

Current Employee - Lab Technician I in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Lab Technician I in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at GeneDx full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great working environment. You get to learn new techniques

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth and does not pay that much

Extremely High Workload and very Poor Training

Former Employee - DNA Extraction Tech in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - DNA Extraction Tech in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at GeneDx full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friday Breakfast, management brought Starbucks coffee, good health care benefits.

Cons

Large workload, high turnover rate, low salary, poor management, poor training,

Supervisor and manager need to allow time for proper training. The reason why your company has a very high turnover rate for lab tech is because the pay is so low and the work load for DNA Extraction and Accession departments is very large. Therefore, many employees burned out and looked for other jobs. You need to pay competitively like other companies around you.