GeneDx

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sherri Bale

Learned many things while sacrificing pay

Lab Technician (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

Pros-Relaxed atmosphere
    -Good co-workers
    -Lots of new technology
    -Healthcare is included
    -Can cross-train if you know the right people
    -Many of the departments offer flexible hours

Cons-Horrible middle management
    -Upper management does not recognize how bad middle management is
    -Salaries start at $32k/yr....raises are very slow and promotions do not exist
    -Can be stuck doing a stupid task if you do not know the right people

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an actual career path for employees, whip middle management into better shape, and recognize your hard workers and help them along and not just the "yes-men"...The employees help GeneDx make millions, yet the company offers nothing back to them besides frustration

A good place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsDepending on your role, there is room for growth. Your co-workers feel like family. Great product.

ConsDepending on your role, there is no room for growth. Some jobs can be very repetitive. Career paths are very murky.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency. Give people opportunities to grow.

Great experience and technologies

DNA Extraction Tech (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsThere is always an opportunity to learn and grow. You are also always busy, which I view as a pro. The company has some of the most cutting edge technologies so getting experience in the field is good.

ConsThe pay isn't enough for how much you do. Also, management wants you to be independent but they still want to be apart of every decision. It can be very confusing when you get 2 different answer to the same question by different people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't assume we feel confident on making a decision because something is not listed in an SOP. Also, saying to use your best judgement is not something you want to hear when you are asking a question concerning patient samples. Saying, well management told me to use my best judgement but I messed up, sounds horrible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good first job for coming right out of College

Lab Technician I (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsGreat working environment. You get to learn new techniques

ConsNot a lot of room for growth and does not pay that much

Extremely High Workload and very Poor Training

DNA Extraction Tech (Former Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsFriday Breakfast, management brought Starbucks coffee, good health care benefits.

ConsLarge workload, high turnover rate, low salary, poor management, poor training,

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisor and manager need to allow time for proper training. The reason why your company has a very high turnover rate for lab tech is because the pay is so low and the work load for DNA Extraction and Accession departments is very large. Therefore, many employees burned out and looked for other jobs. You need to pay competitively like other companies around you.

Working experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty relaxed working environment. You can do other things while working as long as you have finished what you need to do.

ConsIt is not too many thing you can control in your working environment. The language you implement may have version issue with other systems in the company.

Growing Pains

Excellent service
    Great Benefits
    Great first job but MOVE ON

ConsBAD BAD BAD PAY!!
    Bad management at junior level
    Insufficient feedback
    Inability to see true leaders
    Favoritism at its worst
    Micro Management
    Inability to grow
    Sexism

Advice to Senior ManagementTHREE WORDS: HIGH TURNOVER RATE!!

Try to see an employees abilities beyond the persons set duties
    Leadership is not sticking to rules, true leadership is challenging a rule and formulating something better.
    True leaders are not the safe options who do what you say and do what you want and nothing more, true leaders are the people who want positive change and would challenege the setup.
    Management is not telling every one everything they need to do, true management is showing the initial way and laying out the goal. How they get there does not matter as long as they get there within the rules, fast and cost effective. if something works, it works.

ok company

Pros-Fun company to work for
    -great coworkers

Cons-compensation
    -poor management, lots of favoratism
    -career advancement isn't really possible

Good for building experience and a recognized leader in the field, but suffers from a lack of good management.

Lab Technician III (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsLearning Experience
    Latest Technology for multiple sequencing disciplines
    A leader in the field, so it will look great on a future resume

ConsSuffers from a certain degree of nepotism
    The managers are all scientists, which for the most part means a lack of managerial skills.
    Entry level jobs are repetitive and very basic with most treated as if high turn-over is expected
    Despite previous attempts to remedy, lack of clear communication and advancement pathways are still an issue.
    There are also some trust issues between departments which means navigating communication if you choose to stay at the company (and possibly move departments eventually) is difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly defined advancement pathways that were promised would be nice.
    Reward loyalty to the same degree that people seeking employment elsewhere seem to be rewarded.

worse place ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsFriday morning breakfast was the only this good about this company and bring you pet to work.

ConsChoosing to work for this company was the worst decision of my life, at first I loved it then true colors showed. Management plays favorites and if you are not liked you will constantly be lied on, HR is a joke, due to this still small company atmosphere everyone is to close and therefore can not make their own opinions, so if you are not liked by one you are not liked by all (not very professional, more like a high school environment) rules change daily and according to who it's going to benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP PLAYING FAVORITES!

Worked for GeneDx? Contribute to the Community!