Geneca Reviews

Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Geneca full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment. Amazingly talented and skillful people to work with. You are given freedom of thoughts and your peers definitely respect you views. Freedom to use new technologies and use them in your client projects. great .Net Shop.

Cons

The pipelines seem to give you hopes but lack materialization. People could be on bench for long periods (2-3 months) and makes the management take drastic steps.

Consider venturing back into staffing.

Uncertain future

Former Employee - Senior Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Developer

I worked at Geneca full-time

Pros

Flexible time schedule as long as you work within agreed core hours
    Good benefits and pay
    Fun people to work with
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Although you are told otherwise, you DO need to worry about losing your job if you're on bench.
    Senior staff tends to paint a rosier picture than what is really going on with the company. Staff cuts have been made within the past year with no previous indication.
    You are constantly being emailed surveys to fill out to promote the company for various awards..
    There's way too much hype on how great everyone is and how great the company is to a superficial level..
    Egos do not always match skills.

Invest in proper training of your staff. While business knowledge and strategy are important, so is training of younger developers best coding practices in software development.

Snake Oil Salesmen

I worked at Geneca full-time

Pros

Some of the people who work or have worked at Geneca were top notch and cared about both the clients and employees.

Cons

Most of those people (mentioned above) are no longer with the company, having been let go or leaving on their own accord. Current and past leadership seemed to only value "yes men" and would not like to be challenged (even on their poor decisions).

Geneca leadership would promote "having the team's back" in company meetings, but would soon crumble when confronted by the client. Geneca is better suited to be a staff augmenting company rather than the "consulting" it sets out to be.

Hire better leaders.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

STOP, RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK!

I worked at Geneca full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, decent work-life balance and good benefits.

Cons

Constant change to their business model, lacking good leadership and unable to close deals.

No advice, everyone sees where this business is headed.

Started off promising, but now it's pretty disappointing

I worked at Geneca full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to write code.

Cons

Confusing and overly complicated business strategy.
    They seem to have a difficult time with maintaining a consistent pipeline of business.
    Very little loyalty to employees.
    Not a safe environment to find yourself on the bench.

Simplify your strategy.
    Listen to your most technical people. They can help you close business.
    Be more open and transparent with the state of the business at company meetings. If things are not going so well, let people know earlier.
    Good luck!!!

Mass layoffs and rescinding new grad offers a red flag

I have been working at Geneca full-time

Pros

- People on project teams are nice
    - Pay is decent
    - Out of work activities

Cons

On April 1st they let go of the entire QA team (April fools day), on May 15 they laid off 13 people, and they've rescinded offers from 4 new college graduates. The fact that this company cannot get business in a hot technology market is very concerning. This was a nice place to work at one time but things have gone downhill fast. Hopefully they can turn things around to what it used to be.

You can blame others for the current situation but at the end of the day the CEO is responsible for what happens to the company.

Software Architect

Former Employee - Software Architect  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at Geneca full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company, great people... they try to take care of their own... think things through and put good process in place

Cons

Still making common mistakes however.. when sale needs to happen, rules will be bent...

A place that continues to be better

I have been working at Geneca full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been here for quite some time now and have seen a lot happen with the company. It's great to see the amount of effort put in towards company improvement. Some examples I can name are adding new health benefits and incentives, regular meetings that focus on gathering input from employees to better the company culture, all different kinds of social activities, learning opportunities and workshops, better quality projects when in between assignments, and revamping the company career path program.

Cons

To be successful you have to be willing to communicate openly and often and also continue to work on improving your estimating skills.

Don't miss out on opportunities to recognize the small efforts that others do, not just the big ones.

Relaxed, friendly place to work

Current Employee - Developer  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Developer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Geneca full-time for more than a year

Pros

Geneca provides a ton of opportunities for those who are looking to grow their skills and learn a diverse set of technologies. I second the previous comments about people generally being open and caring. There doesn't seem to be any politics or game playing. I look forward to going to work each day.

Cons

This is a consulting firm and there are expectations that you will go where the client needs you. That can be anywhere in Chicagoland, up to an hour drive or more. Geneca tries to do most client work in their offices but sometimes you end up at a client and working within their culture, rules, etc.

I can tell that most of the negative comments on here are from former employees who were let go. One of the things I like is that most of the employees here are smart and work hard. If you are looking to just loaf along or you can't handle consulting, you'll end up "not being a fit" and quickly moved out.

Please get a downtown Chicago office :)

Couldn't have asked for a better first job!

Current Employee - Developer  in  Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Developer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Geneca full-time for more than a year

Pros

Geneca provides an incredible work environment. There are constantly extracurricular activities to take part in (from sports to coding competitions) that allow new hires to get absorbed in the Geneca culture. From a development perspective, I find the variety of technologies and languages to be an excellent way for me to diversify my experience right out of college. I have never met another developer here that wasn't jumping out of their seat to help someone with a problem. Everyone is extremely easy to get along with and has the experience and skill to get the job done right.

Cons

It is always possible that you end up on a client project that requires you to work at their location. However Geneca tries hard to allow those project teams to work from our location in Oak Brook. So far after working here for almost two years, I have yet to have to work at another location. However, I've still had the opportunity to work on multiple client projects. I wouldn't say this is the norm, however. But Geneca does a good job of hearing developers concerns, and does their best to get you on projects you have an interest in.

Worked for Geneca? Contribute to the Community!