Genentech

Genentech Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark

Ian T. Clark

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, beautiful campus, co-workers are mostly nice and helpful(in 42 reviews)

• Employees get great benefits, though Roche prefers to save money by hiring contractors(in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • It is hard to keep a good work life balance if the job is burning you out(in 43 reviews)

• After the merger with Roche there have been many changes that are taking some time to get used to(in 22 reviews)

Genentech is a good place to work.

Group Manager (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsGood pay and benefits. Excellent culture.

ConsCareer growth and development has slowed.

Genentech continues to be a great place to work

ProsGenentech is an innovative company that continues to attract very talented people. Patients are at the center of everything and this drives decision making. There is a focus on employee engagement with many great perks such as the gym, onsite car detailing, onsite dentist, onsite haircuts, laundry service, etc. The campus is gorgeous and a new environmentally friendly building is under construction.

ConsWork-life balance can be challenging. Long hours particularly for people who have to conduct regular business with other countries (i.e., early morning meetings and/or late evening calls)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on providing tools to assist with balancing work and life.

Awesome Company- great place to work!

Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) Miami, FL

Prosthe company culture, patient first!

Constoo many changes in recent years

Advice to Senior Managementfrom just a US company, then going global means lots of change
    changes can be good and bad, but still accompanied by some stress

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

Pros- Perks
    - Work/life balance
    - Smart innovative people

Cons- Culture has changed a lot since the Roche merger
    - Company's uniqueness is slowly fading
    - Too much politics and favoritism in certain groups

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget what made Genentech one of the best companies to work for

Great Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsLove the people I work with, they make it a pleasure to come to work.

ConsI'm a contractor and this department it's next to impossible to become a full time regular employee

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something about "head count" issues. Seems counter intuitive to spend 6 month training someone only to keep them for a 18 months and start the process all over again.

racist place to work

Engineer Department (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prossooo much gossip and people not working.

Consyou are judged by your prada

Be prepared to be a workhorse

Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsYou help people get cancer (and other) meds. Access Solutions works like a non-profit within a major pharma. company.

ConsIC's burnout very quickly. Almost no room for upward mobility.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't rely on burning out your contractors to compensate the lack of effort from your regular employees

Great company, if you're FTE

ProsCompany has great career opportunities. You learn how processes run most efficiently in the industry. Online and classroom training is abundant, employees should take more advantage of that.

Excellent pipeline. Company constantly reminds you of helping the patients; you always feel like your work is rewarding. Employees are highly motivated and intelligent.

Great company to have on your resume, too.

ConsRoche is leaning towards hiring more contractors vs permanent employees. They favor seniority as well. Extremely difficult to get an FTE role. Very competitive environment and lots of politics. Lots of favoritism for random reasons. This is great company for seasoned people, but not necessarily for junior-level employees.

Lots of inequality between regular employees and contractors. This is unfair especially when both do the same quality work.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your contractors and retain talent.

Very intense, exciting place to work

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits. A lot of opportunity to be involved in cutting edge science and technology and if you are in the right position you will make a big difference in someone's life. They give you a lot and expect a lot in return. Many super-smart type-A people all working towards a similar goals.

ConsToo many meetings. Global organization means early TCs to Europe and late TCs to Asia most days. Depending on your job there can be a lot of travel. Work-life balance is not really optimal. It can be very difficult to get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to structure teams such that they include people from either Europe and Asia or Europe and the US or Asia and the US. Not all three. Find ways to streamline the governance processes. The higher up you get the more time you spend in meetings and making slides or reviewing slides.

Intake Coordinator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery professional environment. Good food. Decent pay.

ConsMicro-management. They kept hiring and firing contract employees so they put unrealistic expectations on everyone else to pick up their workload. Overworked I was asked multiple times to change my schedule. Overtime became apart of my regular workday. Long commute from my location. Stressed out. Management definitely had favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic with your employees, hire the necessary staff to do the job and don't put so much pressure on staff.

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!