Genentech

www.gene.com

Genentech Reviews

Pros
  • Potential for work-life balance still exists in some jobs(in 41 reviews)

• Employees get great benefits, though Roche prefers to save money by hiring contractors(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • It is hard to keep a good work life balance if the job is burning you out(in 43 reviews)

• After the merger with Roche there have been many changes that are taking some time to get used to(in 22 reviews)

Great company to work for!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsI believe in what the company is doing and think most of the people who work at Genentech love their jobs. I am also a huge fan of the casual atmosphere. I have a great manager who gives good feedback and helps those who work for him when they need it. I am very satisfied with my salary and love the benefits!

ConsIt's a fairly large company now so there can be a lot of red tape for some things. As the company grows more policies and procedures are being put into place, which can be cumbersome.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on listening to the employees feedback.

Genentech is a great place to work

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsCareer and personal development opportunitites are abundant.
    There is little bureaucracy and things seem to move extremly fast as compared to what I heard from other companies.
    The benefits are very good: 401k and roth, $4/day for commuting to work in any way but driving, great time off, good bonuses, free shuttles to take you to work spread out through the bay area.
    Open IT environemnt, no blocks, monitoring etc.

ConsI wish they were more open with telecommuting and they would have a more transparent process on how they determine your performance. I wish there was more communication taking place between the higher management and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better defined process for performance reviews.

If you're in biotechnology there is no better place to work.

Research Assistant (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsThe benefits are awesome! There is nowhere else that compares in biotech. They also pay the best.

ConsIn large departments, individual employees do not advance in rank and salary as quickly as smaller departments. It is also hard to get a job (or an interview) here unless you meet and exceed the job description. It is important to have experience before applying.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou waste too much money on free food and parties. This could be better spent on new equipment and promotions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the Best Places I've Enjoyed Working in a Long Time

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsI like the people and friendly environment at GNE. I'm always learning new things so it's never boring.

ConsThe hiring and promotion process are frustrating at times. With the growth of GNE, things have seemed to change in the way people are hired. Lately it seems to be more of who you know rather than what you know. Also promotions seem to be based on favoritism at times. Many times they hire externals before giving transfers to internal employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your competent staff within the company before giving the positions to an exernal...where is your loyalty? Work harder on identifying the BAD managers and doing something about them rather than just talking about or recognizing that it can be a problem.

Good if you like intense.

Attorney (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsStimulating and smart colleagues, good projects, cutting edge.

ConsDemanding, intense, lack of work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe respectful towards employees.

Genentech is a GREAT place to work, as long as your not in manufacturing.

Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking at Genentech gives you a great sense of accomplishment and great pride. Since I have never worked in this field before, I can not compare Genentechs benefits to other companies but I do feel that Genentech offers great benefits. They are always celebrating various accomplishments and/or milestones.

ConsThe morale of B8 employees (manufacturing) is in the toilet. And year after year, it just keeps getting worse. If you take a stroll around the campus, you will see many happy people. There is a saying in B8.... If you see someone on campus that is not smiling or just looks unhappy, "they must be from B8".

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat the folks in manufacturing better and with more respect.

Great company, but beware which organization you join.. beware of your career or it might just atrophy and die.

Senior Management (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsThe senior execs are visionary leaders, and have created an amazing vision for Gentench as well as the culture within which they envisioned employees would thrive. Great benefits and a strong commitment to work life/balance.

ConsI worked for Production Operations and this is the largest organization at Genentech. The culture, and success of the company varies by organization and hence the distinction. The middle management layers in Production Operations (Director ranks to lower VP ranks) are VERY dysfunctional. Career growth is abysmal here as a lot of the Management ranks are managing upward (posturing to Senior Management), very political and I would not characterize the behavior as 'walking the talk'. Employee growth and success are very much on the backburner.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to hold the middle management ranks accountable to the Genentech principles around culture, people growth, and employee satisfaction. Place a huge emphasis on the 360 feedback as this will tell you what the issues are within the ranks of the company(the real intellectual capital that is contributing to growing the company)

lame

Project Manager (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsFun place to work. Great parties. CHeap food. Everyone is pretty friendly. There are tons of foods to choose from. The parties are great. Genentech really spends a lot of money on them. Its really hard to get in. if you have a referral to help it makes it a bit easier.

Conslong hours, low pay, crappy location. Stock options arent what they used to be five or six years ago when I first started. They are now moving my division to singapore. So, I was almost forced to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementArrogent jerks. Seriously, its a job.

The pay is great but this place is flooded with middle-management and that's never a good thing

Clinical Data Manager (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsThe benefit package is outstanding. You would be hard pressed to find the assortment of medical and dental options that are basically paid for with the "funny money" so your out-of -pocket costs are minimal. Also the 401K has a generous matching plan. PTO is standard 3 weeks a year but the company usually closes between Xmas and New Years so you really get 4 weeks off. They pay you to not drive to work and have an outstanding assortment of public transportation options.

ConsIt's really "clique-y". And I think a lot of the people are a bit brainwashed into thinking it is some sort of magical place to go each day. Get real people it is a job with a paycheck. Also never forget that it is a publicly traded company and at the end of the day the shareholders win. Management doesn't know how to fulfill management decisions. A lot of people like to say we should execute a decision but then no one and I mean no one will suck it up and take responsibility. Decision-by-concensus=no progress and lots of frustration. Typical corporate america rah rah "training" and a bit snobby.

Advice to Senior Managementwould you please give someone, anyone the power to make a decision and then the power to make sure that is it fulfilled. It's like working with a bunch of sheep that are afraid to wander away from the herd. If no one takes a chance this company becomes stagnant-corporate-sucky and boring to work for.

too much middle management

Clinical Trial Manager (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

Prosbenefits are great
    close to san francisco
    decent work life balance
    cafeteria food is spectacular

Constoo much middle management
    a lot of MBAs who don't know how to change a lightbulb
    too much process
    not enough growth for exceptional people.
    there are 7 layers for every job function.

Advice to Senior Managementcut out the middle mgmt. sr. mgmt is great but your message gets muddled by crappy middle mgmt. Stop hiring from pfizer and novartis. they are bringing ina culture of mediocrity

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!