Genentech
www.gene.com South San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

Genentech Reviews

Updated Nov 2, 2013

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance, beautiful campus, co-workers are mostly nice and helpful"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Employees get great benefits, though Roche prefers to save money by hiring contractors"
    in 69 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some departments are overworked while others maintain a good work-life balance"
    in 40 reviews
  • "After the merger with Roche there have been many changes that are taking some time to get used to"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Oceanside, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 8 years

ProsExcellent benefits
High-performance culture
Company cares about its employees and patients
Promotes diversity and inclusion more than any employer I have ever worked for

ConsA lot of unneccessary bureaucracy especially when dealing with corporate functions
Less altruistic since Roche took over
Difficult to move up from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange HR practices that make it difficult for people to move up as quickly from within. So many people leave and then come back, getting hired at a salary and level they would have had to wait years to achieve from within.

I didn't think it was possible - Clinical Specialist

Clinical Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genentech full-time for less than a year

ProsWhen I heard how great it was to work here, I believed it superficially. Now, I am experiencing it for myself. PROS: people focused, absolutely, visionaries in adapting future technologies today (ahead of competition); innovative approach to people development; great compensation; great management team

Cons- some sluggish software -

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease please continue to hire and promote these terrific people to management. Isnt' it all about the people you hire and promote?

Genentech offers career growth and excellent compensation.

Associate Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Genentech as a contractor for more than a year

ProsTeam oriented. Perks. Compensation. Work/life balance.

ConsSelective in making full-time from contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare with employee when performance is not up to expectations for encouragement. Better coaching techniques for contractors being that numerous contributors are contractors.

Still a stimulating and fun work environment

Senior Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPassionate co-workers. Down to earth and straight-talking leadership. Clear mission and focus on the company's patients and its people. While the work can get intense, a fun work environment overall.

ConsEmployees have gotten a little entitled and unappreciative of all that the company provides.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue streamlining and simplifying processes and procedures, where prudent.

Great expereince working with great people!

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Genentech as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI've worked at Genentech intermittently as a contractor after being there for many years as an employee. Yes, things have changed over the years, but overall it's still a great place to work with many perks.

ConsIt has the challenges of most large organizations now - additional bureaucracy, harder to navigate, but overall, it continues to be a great experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to empower employees and attend to culture!

Amazing: Intellectually challenging and a lot of fun! Work hard, play hard

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Genentech full-time

ProsWorking with some of the smartest folks in the industry. Working on breakthrough science that impacts the lives of patients everyday, everywhere in the world.

ConsWork hard play hard means work hard 1st then play hard. Not really a cons, just a thought to keep in mind

Strong company going downhill

Reimbursement Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Genentech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, a lot of stability and a plethora of perks and benefits to being employed there. Definitely some cool people. A huge name in their field and a traditionally strong company.

ConsUpon getting bought out by Roche in 2009/2010, the companies values shifted considerable. There was a huge amount of change and scaling back of company benefits. The workplace got much more rigid, formal and unfriendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro-manage your employees less and listen to your employees.

A lot of micromanaging and they don't let you get your work done.

Space Planner (Former Employee)
South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNice facility, nice location, good food

ConsBad management style. Limits employee to finish jobs. Restricts employee to complete tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employee manage their work after giving it to them

Overall, it has been positive experience.

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood location.
Overall compensation is good, relatively speaking.
R&D in Oncology area has been strong.

ConsSome of cultures have changed in recent years.
Playing politics is seen more in recent years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Genentech is patient and science focused, but lacks career development

I have been working at Genentech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent compensation and benefits. The overall vision of the company is patient and science focused.

ConsLimited career opportunities for field based people. Very politically charged at the management level.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide greater career development for field based individuals.

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!

Genentech Videos

Genentech – Why Work for Us?

Changing the Course of Medicine When you work at Genentech, you'll come to understand that changing the course of medicine requires the kind of inspiration that can only come from a combined commitment to patients… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genentech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark . All 143 reviews posted anonymously by Genentech employees.