Genentech

Genentech Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark

Ian T. Clark

Pros
  • Potential for work-life balance still exists in some jobs(in 41 reviews)

• Employees get great benefits, though Roche prefers to save money by hiring contractors(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • It is hard to keep a good work life balance if the job is burning you out(in 43 reviews)

• After the merger with Roche there have been many changes that are taking some time to get used to(in 22 reviews)

Contract work

Research Associate (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsPros of working here is that you get access to top talent and technologies. Everyone here is so incredibly smart that a lot of ideas can be casually developed if you establish good relationships.

A lot of opportunities to learn and grow as well as get your foot in the door.

Beautiful campus, a lot of convenient services like dining hall and shuttles

An abundance of social opportunities hosted by the company.

ConsSeems like your degree does have some weight in your career development. People with masters develop their careers on one track while scientist do so on another. I think its rare for masters students to jump onto the phd track. Not sure about this thought.

Expectations are high and if you don't have the personality for it, the pressure could break you like an egg. Or a glass cup. Or a plastic chair for children.

Co-op Early Stage Purification

Co-Op (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company value its employees and everyone is passionate about their work. It was a very nice opportunity for me to work there as a co-op student.

ConsI can't think of something. I was there only for 6 months.

Great place to work

ProsFlexible working hours, Great products, Benefits

ConsBig company with many layers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Clinical Specialist

ProsCulture, people, science, salary/benefits, innovation

ConsI can not think of any

Advice to Senior Managementkeeping hiring bright people and promote from within

Left only for an amazing opportunity

Associate Director L&D (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat company with fantastic benefits. Really smart people with a lot of desire to do well. The organization is complex but they do a good job of rallying everyone around a singular goal.

ConsInternational travel post Roche became too much. Lots of big company politics.

Genentech is a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsIf you are a regular full time employee, Genentech has great benenfits, generous time off and sick leave policies and many perks to engage employees ( weekly hoho's, department recognition events, Genentech gives back to the community events). The company is focused on improving the quality of lives of patients with serious diseases. It is very fulfilling work knowing you are positively impacting the lives of others.

ConsCompensation is competitive and you can make more/money at other biotech/pharmaceutical companies, but the slightly lower salary at Genentech is offset by the benefit package.
    The environment has been trending toward a more corporate feel ever since the Roche take over.

Great place to work

ProsSmart people who really care about patients.

ConsSome bureaucracy in certain areas given that it is such a large company.

Genentech takes care of their employees very well!

Senior QC Associate (Current Employee) Vacaville, CA

ProsThe benefits and family friendly work policies

ConsI started at the Glass Ceiling.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage management to give recognition more often than just at review time

Validation Engineer

Senior Validation Engineer (Current Employee) Vacaville, CA

ProsGreat place to work and the people are wonderful.

ConsLocation is in Vacaville ca and the commute can be 45 to 75 minutes

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job, keep it up

It is very generous to employees!

Research Associate (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsBest benefit, best service !

ConsTraffic is a challenge! it is not easy to get here in the morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementgRide should be provided more frequently.

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!