Genentech

Genentech Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark

Ian T. Clark

Pros
  • Potential for work-life balance still exists in some jobs(in 41 reviews)

• Employees get great benefits, though Roche prefers to save money by hiring contractors(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • It is hard to keep a good work life balance if the job is burning you out(in 43 reviews)

• After the merger with Roche there have been many changes that are taking some time to get used to(in 22 reviews)

Project manager

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat environment. Fantastic team. Have to be flexible and establish networking. Nice work life balance. Senior Management is great

ConsSlow upward movement. Constantly changing managers. Opportunities for career growth is very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Company

Contract work

Research Associate (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsPros of working here is that you get access to top talent and technologies. Everyone here is so incredibly smart that a lot of ideas can be casually developed if you establish good relationships.

A lot of opportunities to learn and grow as well as get your foot in the door.

Beautiful campus, a lot of convenient services like dining hall and shuttles

An abundance of social opportunities hosted by the company.

ConsSeems like your degree does have some weight in your career development. People with masters develop their careers on one track while scientist do so on another. I think its rare for masters students to jump onto the phd track. Not sure about this thought.

Expectations are high and if you don't have the personality for it, the pressure could break you like an egg. Or a glass cup. Or a plastic chair for children.

Bio-process Technician

Senior Bio Process Technician (Current Employee) Oceanside, CA

Pros6 week Sabatical after 6 years
    6% 401k match
    Fair insurance
    good vacation time
    Good shifts

ConsPromotion percentage are low and time to take to get promotions are long
    Movement in company is limited
    Very cut throat corparate
    Apply large changes to lifestyles frequently changes shifts

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the old Genentech

Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) Oceanside, CA

ProsHaving worked in operations for eight years in Vacaville, South San Francisco and Oceanside, South San Francisco is by far the best location and still has a strong Genentech culture, Outside of San Francisco the culture is less noticeable, but in general People are nice, benefits are good not great. Ho-Ho's are nice , work can be challenging, co-workers are supportive

ConsWorking in Vacaville or Oceanside pay is low, stock options are almost non existent, weak culture, poor management, management shoots from the hip with no clear plan or strategies. Managers are not leaders but "yes" men and women. Nearly impossible to advance to a new position unless you are part of the "in crowd". If you want the five star rating work in South San Francisco, Vacaville and Oceanside are disappointments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an effort to strengthen the culture at Vacaville and Oceanside, allow internal applicants to advance their careers, improve contractor workers work conditions, fire managers that do not understand metrics and who manage their departments by threatening employees.

Cool coworkers, not so cool management

Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsFree lunches on super busy days
    Fun contests and games on holiday
    Free to roam around and hang with your buddies as long as you answer all your calls

ConsManagement sucks
    If you are not a social butterfly then you get canned
    Barely anyone goes perm

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to get to know your employees

Nice experience during quick stay

Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing products, teams, staff,compensation, perks, events and incentives

ConsI felt that there were lots of politics involved with promotion or advancing to a full-time employee from contract position

Advice to Senior ManagementEquality in the promotion process

Positive Experience in Pharma Informatics

ProsNice people, healthy culture, logical & rational work behavior

ConsAvailability of colleagues to get work done

Co-op Early Stage Purification

Co-Op (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company value its employees and everyone is passionate about their work. It was a very nice opportunity for me to work there as a co-op student.

ConsI can't think of something. I was there only for 6 months.

Great place to work

ProsFlexible working hours, Great products, Benefits

ConsBig company with many layers

Work Culture

QC Analyst (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsBig company with a many perks and ways to move up

ConsIf you are a contractor they treat you horribly

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!