Genentech

Updated December 15, 2014
4.0

Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark
Ian T. Clark

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, beautiful campus, co-workers are mostly nice and helpful (in 52 reviews)

• Great benefits - very typical of extremely large companies (80,000 employees worldwide) (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • It is hard to keep a good work life balance if the job is burning you out (in 51 reviews)

• Lower pay, NO work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great internship experience

I worked at Genentech

Pros

Genentech has an amazing company culture. I was happy to come in to work every day. They really put their patients and employees first.

Cons

The campus is very large so it can be annoying to navigate around, but the company shuttles make it better.

Great company to build a career

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Genentech as a contractor

Pros

Great team-mates, culture & environment.

Cons

Contractors being differentiated with badge system, and usually not included in team offsite work breaks.

Keep the good works going.

Friendly work environment; can be a great learning experience if you make it to be

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was very down-to-earth. Has a great, family-friendly culture. For an organization of this size, many try hard to make you feel that your individual contribution still makes a difference (even if it doesn't really).

SSF is kind of out of the way for many, but it's a beautiful campus and easy access via GEN buses, and the work environment is very flexible.

Cons

Employees tend to stay for a long time, so career advancement can be difficult. The treatment of contractors vs. regular employees makes little sense. Contractors can make great contributions but then to let them leave after awhile is a huge waste of resources.

Horrible Statistical Programming Department

Former Employee - Principal Statistical Programmer in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Statistical Programmer in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros

Nice Cafeteria
    Nice Campus
    Good 401k

Cons

Extremely political
    Lot of Back-Stabbing
    Horrible Management
    No Career Opportunity at all

If you are joining statistical programming department then kiss your career good bye.
    They typically hire junior programmer who are naive and does not understand office
    politics. Programmers are better off joining a start up or another company. Extremely incompetent
    managers who does not know anything about programming at all. Extremely political.

Please hire competent management. Please control office politics and
    create more career opportunities.

Genentech/Roche's amazing caste system

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supervisors and upper management are focused on being relate-able and understanding. Employee recognition is highlighted and there are many yearly events and giveaways. The schedule is great and allows for lot of personal time. There are a lot of resources available like company gym, shuttles, concierge, cafeteria.

Cons

My department abuses temporary workers, hiring temps for what are long term positions, and they are often handling millions of dollars of equipment and product. They must do very physical work, often opting to take short breaks to show their value and look competitive. Once hired, they then have to work as "term" employees for additional years sacrificing raises, bonuses, and other perks.

The promotion process is not standard and good people are left to languish as contractors for years while less-qualified sweet-talkers are promoted rapidly. This layered system of contract workers creates a very negative work environment for everyone and encourages backstabbing as we must compete and apply for the same rare job openings again and again.

The work environment is casual, often bordering on inappropriate. There is no HR training to educate on different forms of inappropriate work behavior.

The company is constantly trimming perks in order to cut costs. It is rapidly becoming average.

When doing internal hiring, hiring managers often don't look at previous experience outside of Genentech, invalidating all one's previous work. Many good people are constantly stone-walled as a result.

I hear it is fabulous outside the call center!

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefits, bonuses, PTO, professional development resources

Cons

If you are hired at a level between entry-level and manager, lots of luck getting promoted!

In addition to professional development resources, allow some internal promotions for the lowly E2's.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Research Assistant in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, I learned a lot and got good experience.

Cons

The department I am in goes through a lot of re-organizations and with that there were some lay-offs. Not great for if you're a contractor- no paid leave incl sick days and no benefits. It is really difficult to get a permanent position- the stars have to align perfectly- does not matter how hard you work, if there's no budget for a permanent position, even if someone leaves, you're out of luck.

It should be easier to become a permanent employee especially if a person fits well into the group and has a great work ethic. You're losing a lot of good, quality workers- no one wants to be a temp!

Validation Engineer - Contractor

Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Oceanside, CA
    Former Employee - Validation Engineer in Oceanside, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

1. The people I have met here are amazing - definitely live by the motto "work hard, play hard"
    2. Very accommodating and understanding in terms of days off, sicknesses, emergency, etc.
    3. Are concerned with your overall end goal and help you go towards it
    4. Good pay
    5. Worked at oceanside location, which was very nice building and near the beach!

Cons

My number 1 problem with Genentech, and is causing misery for all my coworkers, is the treatment of contractors. They separate us for everything and limit our access to any possible benefit - events, services, facilities, opportunities - even emergency notifications!

Start treating contractors as an equal. They do just as much work (usually more) as permanent employees. Pretty soon you will lose all your contractors, who I know are valuable to the success of your products.

Consultants, consultants, consultants

I worked at Genentech

Pros

Exposure to industry. Great products. Work-life balance.

Cons

Marketing and cross-functional teams rely heavily on consultants, to the point of consultants doing just about everything. Decision making is non-existent. Marketing teams are highly ego-centric.

Reform decision making. Create an atmosphere of teams doing more projects without consultant assistance.

Solid Employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at Genentech as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Good pay. Overall good culture.

Cons

Cultural segregation between contractors and employees

Understand there are liabilities with contractors but they put as much dedication and passion into their work as regular employees and should share in the many events on/off campus that don't discuss internal company business info. I'm no attorney but they could sign some waivers can't they?