Genentech

Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark

Ian T. Clark

444 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Collaborative and respectful environment

Clinical Trial Manager (Current Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsI left a company down the street (starts with an O, ends with an X) due to an overall lack of leadership, collaboration and respectful interactions. Genentech tops those criterium and then some!! The "everyone has a seat at the table" philosophy is strong and the payoff is apparent in every way. This company excels at all levels!!

ConsThe salaries aren't as competitive as I hoped for the Bay Area

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!!! My interactions with my manager leave me feeling empowered and motivated. Others I speak with also comment on the autonomy and support they also receive from mgmt. Please continue to work on avenues for career growth for strong performers.

I have 13 years of experience working in the aseptic processing evnvironment

Technical Manager (Current Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsThe benefits are excellent.

ConsCannot guarantee the desired work/life balance.

Intense

Manager (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

Pros90% of my co-workers were the most brilliant, hard working people I've worked with in my entire career. There was a learning frenzy when we put our minds towards accomplishing something and we became unstoppable! Additionally I've seen a level of determination in some employees that I've never witnessed again. A famous quote from my time at GNE was, "There is no plan B."

ConsPolitics. If the wrong person feels threatened by you then good luck getting that next promotion. Just like the how people give working on a campaign 110%, some people give 110% into playing politics. I've seen a few brilliant people have their careers stymied at GNE because of this unfortunately.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge the status quote when it comes to people management. Shake it up and give people a chance to hang themselves (if the employee is obviously a willing participant)... you might be surprised what happens.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of promise, but no upper management vision

South San Francisco, CA

Pros- Interesting work
    - Committed people
    - Good benefits, although current FTEs complain they're going downhill

Cons- Some Roche management is disconnected to the point of not acknowledging contractors' existence.
    -Roche management is too hierarchical. FTEs are "spanked" if they engage with anyone higher than their direct boss without permission.
    - Roche is hiring more and more contractors rather than invest in FTEs
    - Long-time employees are allowed to stagnate and underperform even if it causes chaos and dissatisfaction.
    - Roche management's idea of innovation is to cut costs and expect more.

Advice to Senior Management- If you're going to hire contractors as your workforce, utilize them!
    - Listen more and make real change without getting defensive.
    - Don't crush the innovation you acquired Genentech for.

Used to be truly "In Business for Life" company... became "In Business for Roche" - sad, but true

Scientist (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsExperience forking at Genentech, Inc (before Roche) is exciting and and intellectually stimulating
    Once almighty Genentech used to be the best company in all aspects - culture, people, science, benefits.

ConsBad management? What makes people to become "bad managers"? May be it's the corporate culture that does the trick?
    Still has smart people, but those who can are leaving...

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the company alone. Let scientists do science. As if they gonna listen

The Roche takeover changed the corporate culture 100%.

Writer/Editor (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent opportunities to learn pharmaceutical world cGMP, SOP processing, Regulatory, NovaManage database.

ConsSome BUs are badly managed, contractors kept in mushroom mode. In CIT the project managers' rivalry sabotaged many projects, & communication both within the BU & interdepartmental communication could be vastly improved. Projects as well as budgets & people can't be managed efectively via email.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore permanent employees who become company stakeholders, less reliance on contractors.

Great place to make a difference in the world

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsPurpose is key. Good salary. Best benefits around. Progressive approach to development

ConsHQ is now in Switzerland

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Wow... in very positive tone

Vice President of Bioresearch (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosthe attitude towards research and solving problems

Consnothing I can think of

Genentech review

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsThe culture and benefits are excellent.

Conslack of career path for Admins.

Great opportunity

Administrative Associate (Current Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsGenentech provides great benefits and competitive pay. The work can be tough and stressful at times but that also makes it interesting and engaging. Senior management has been listening to employees and trying to strike a balance between the "old" Genentech and "new" Roche Genentech.

ConsIn my department there is a lot of gossiping and drama and it can sometimes feel like you are back in high school. While the pay is good, it can be hard to live in the Bay Area on a middle income. I have to commute an hour to an hour and a half each way over the Golden Gate Bridge, but the company does provide free shuttle buses that I usually take, and the pick-up/drop-off location is right by my apartment.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to streamline policies and take employee feedback into account when changing things.

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!

Genentech Videos

Genentech – Why Work for Us?

Changing the Course of Medicine When you work at Genentech, you'll come to understand that changing the course of medicine requires the kind of inspiration that can only come from a combined commitment to patients… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genentech reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark . All 444 reviews posted anonymously by Genentech employees.