Genentech

Genentech Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark

Ian T. Clark

Pros
  • Potential for work-life balance still exists in some jobs(in 41 reviews)

• Employees get great benefits, though Roche prefers to save money by hiring contractors(in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • It is hard to keep a good work life balance if the job is burning you out(in 43 reviews)

• After the merger with Roche there have been many changes that are taking some time to get used to(in 22 reviews)

448 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsPatient and science focused. Smart people. Fun.

ConsCareer opportunities are good but career paths are long.

Intense

Manager (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

Pros90% of my co-workers were the most brilliant, hard working people I've worked with in my entire career. There was a learning frenzy when we put our minds towards accomplishing something and we became unstoppable! Additionally I've seen a level of determination in some employees that I've never witnessed again. A famous quote from my time at GNE was, "There is no plan B."

ConsPolitics. If the wrong person feels threatened by you then good luck getting that next promotion. Just like the how people give working on a campaign 110%, some people give 110% into playing politics. I've seen a few brilliant people have their careers stymied at GNE because of this unfortunately.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge the status quote when it comes to people management. Shake it up and give people a chance to hang themselves (if the employee is obviously a willing participant)... you might be surprised what happens.

Associate Systems Specialist

Assistant Systems Specialist (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsInnovative and casually intense culture, with a highly research and intellectually focused organization motivated by improving the lives of our patients.

ConsGenentech, now owned by Roche, seems to be becoming more and more of a temporary employer with a strong contractor force. There is a divide, culturally, between the contract workforce and the permanent employees that is more prominent in some sectors than others

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be truly "In Business for Life" company... became "In Business for Roche" - sad, but true

Scientist (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsExperience forking at Genentech, Inc (before Roche) is exciting and and intellectually stimulating
    Once almighty Genentech used to be the best company in all aspects - culture, people, science, benefits.

ConsBad management? What makes people to become "bad managers"? May be it's the corporate culture that does the trick?
    Still has smart people, but those who can are leaving...

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the company alone. Let scientists do science. As if they gonna listen

The Roche takeover changed the corporate culture 100%.

Writer/Editor (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent opportunities to learn pharmaceutical world cGMP, SOP processing, Regulatory, NovaManage database.

ConsSome BUs are badly managed, contractors kept in mushroom mode. In CIT the project managers' rivalry sabotaged many projects, & communication both within the BU & interdepartmental communication could be vastly improved. Projects as well as budgets & people can't be managed efectively via email.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore permanent employees who become company stakeholders, less reliance on contractors.

Very evolved processes makes it easy to work here.

Project Manager (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsVast majority of employees are completely focused on their work -- you will seldom have to ask someone for something twice. Most people know their subject matter very well, having developed good study habits in college or graduate school.

ConsMany employees are socially immature and unable to communicate comfortably on non-work topics -- this makes it rather dull working here. Most employees have overimbibed the koolaid: attitudes reflect they believe they are better than others because they work for a company that manufactures drugs (!). Read the other reviews to see what I mean.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company is very top-down hierarchical and operates with military-like precision, but none of the employees feel empowered to make ANY decision without referring it up the chain. Just so you know.

Collaborative and respectful environment

Clinical Trial Manager (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsI left a company down the street (starts with an O, ends with an X) due to an overall lack of leadership, collaboration and respectful interactions. Genentech tops those criterium and then some!! The "everyone has a seat at the table" philosophy is strong and the payoff is apparent in every way. This company excels at all levels!!

ConsThe salaries aren't as competitive as I hoped for the Bay Area

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!!! My interactions with my manager leave me feeling empowered and motivated. Others I speak with also comment on the autonomy and support they also receive from mgmt. Please continue to work on avenues for career growth for strong performers.

Good but ruthless

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prossmart people, solid career paths, the good survive and thrive

Consmargin for error is very small.

I have 13 years of experience working in the aseptic processing evnvironment

Technical Manager (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsThe benefits are excellent.

ConsCannot guarantee the desired work/life balance.

Great place to make a difference in the world

Senior Manager (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsPurpose is key. Good salary. Best benefits around. Progressive approach to development

ConsHQ is now in Switzerland

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!