Genentech

Updated March 2, 2015
4.0

Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark
Ian T. Clark

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, beautiful campus, co-workers are mostly nice and helpful (in 52 reviews)

• Great benefits - very typical of extremely large companies (80,000 employees worldwide) (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • It is hard to keep a good work life balance if the job is burning you out (in 51 reviews)

• Lower pay, NO work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

518 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Top Notch Employer

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technical Specialist III in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Genentech is a great place to work based on its dedication to patients, top notch science and engineering, work/life balance, great benefits, and career opportunities.

Cons

No cons to report at this time!

Ambitious

Former Contractor - Reimbursement Specialist in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Reimbursement Specialist in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent transportation options available to get you to and from work.

Cons

Highly competitive work environment that focuses on quantity of work not quality.

Creating a cut-throat, dog-eat-dog atmosphere only leads to errors, poor performance, and breeds animosity among peers.

Still a Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Senior Supervisor Quality in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Supervisor Quality in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech

Pros

Structured compensation, Great - I mean great leadership. Culture of compassion - People here really do care about each other and patients. Really good perks compared to other companies.
    Personal growth opportunities - if you choose to take advantage and especially if you exceed expectations - otherwise, many people are happy just meeting expectations.

Most people are happy to be at Genentech.

Cons

Work-Life balance is a challenge. I've had really good managers who are aware of this issue and we manage it.

Less opportunities to learn outside of your direct functional group.

I kind of like how things are going, but I liked it more when we had an ESP.

Great company to work for but there are cons

Former Employee - Engineer I in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer I in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was fortunate enough to land a job at Genentech right after college. It is a great place to be as a new grad since you are surrounded by intellectual, motivated people and the benefits are great. This job has shaped me and provided me skills that I still use today and have learned from so many talented, experienced people.

Cons

I did not feel that it was easy to advance at Genentech. After a few years, you have to either move to other departments within Genentech or leave since there is a glass ceiling that I found difficult to break unless you have a Ph.D. I also found that their salary is not as competitive as other similar companies.

Provide your employees room for growth and the ability to advance. I found that my manager did not provide me that guidance.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech

Pros

good work-life balance, very intelligent colleagues, lots of opportunities

Cons

It can get a bit political at times - I've seen it with people getting selected or passed up for jobs.

good place

Former Intern - Review in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Review in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech as an intern

Pros

environment, benefits, personal growth, training opportunity

Cons

hard to find a position, less openings

Great company doing great things

Former Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Genentech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are tremendously dedicated. Good work atmosphere. Great Benefits. Smart people.

Cons

Some people form opinions quickly, so you always want to make a good first impression.

Remember to always frame things from the point of view of how it helps the patients

Cool place, not great for work horses...

Current Contractor - Reimbursement Specialist in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Reimbursement Specialist in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere: own parking lot, own cafeteria, colorful building Interiors

Good pay: From working at other biotech companies, this one by far can pay the most, even as a contractor.

Convenient: Have busses that go pretty much anywhere in Bay Area, and stick to their schedule for most part.

Easy place to start out: more money with more referrals you help bring in, good for young people and friends trying to figure out a career.

Cons

Speaking strictly as a contractor:

They will let you go if the workload isn't there, doesn't matter if your contract was for a longer period. Normal to any business but still scary when you expect a contract to be longer...

Merit and effort doesn't count for much:

- Metrics are biased, and if you know how to cheat the system and use your free time to brown nose management, people undeservedly progress. What's worse, is management will openly tell you they would rather you steal work from others, than efficiently work to keep current with the workload.

- Watch out who you get paired with: if you get contracted on board with someone in an office with someone who gets into conflict with other employees, bashes the team you're on, and is not compliant to your team duties, and they get fired/re-hired onto a less paid team, simply by room association, prepare to be included in that demotion, regardless of how well you work as an individual...

Adjust metrics so that tasks are judged more fairly, and productivity is actually being evaluated. There are a lot of unproductive full time workers there, who know how to unfairly work the system, and when those workers' good friends are our supervisors as well, more productive and efficient workers will never be realized...

It was an amazing experience.

Current Employee - Marketing in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rich in resources. Everyone is top notch. There are many opportunities to do what you sincerely feel is most interesting to you and most impactful on patients w/in your skill set or stretch zone. They really take care of the employees in so many ways.

Cons

There is a high bar for peer interaction. It can be challenging for Introverts on the commercial side. I'm not sure about the science or manufacturing side of the business.

Commercial needs to pick up on the entrepreneurial aspect of the Genentech Science culture. There is a little too much emphasis on doing what is safe versus doing what will truly knock the ball out of the park.

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genentech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Patient-focused from the very start.
    Great work-life balance with on-site daycare, on-site health and mobile dental units, as well as other amenities.
    Immense investments in research and development (R&D)
    Rewarding experience to be able to work with smart and brilliant people.

Cons

Very hierarchical in terms of position. Growth ladder is well defined, but hard to achieve. High expectations from coworkers and managers.