Genera Corporation
www.genera.com Brea, CA

Genera Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014
Genera Corporation – US – “Brea Ca”

Jackson Kwok

enriching experience with collaborating with a focused & discipline team and compassionate leader.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManagement, especially their President (Jackson) and VP were resourceful, supportive, inspiring and always creating opportunities in developing me. He shared the impacts anticipated from the recession and the strategies, including operational streamlining and work force restructure (including reduction). While corporate America terminated at will, he shared the outlook with organization including those whose jobs were impacted, provided severance paid, extended insurance coverage, personal letters of recommendations, and assistance with job placements in a time, mind you in the midst of a recession and for non-exempt employees. Compassion, class and commitment comes to mind in describing him and how he leads the company. As he always said, it's important to strike a balance with the stakeholders that includes the customers, employees, suppliers and not just the shareholders.

ConsI guess the disadvantage is for those who are looking for entitlement, asking for compensation and rewards before committing to delivery of quality work. While many companies put up with this behavior, Genera's management does not (which I concur); otherwise, wouldn't that ruin the morale of those who are the ones really pulling the weight?

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish they had a satellite office in San Jose, so that I could still remain in the company after relocating (with my family).

A place where I cut my teeth, allowing me to grow by leaps and bounds in my next job.

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Brea, CA

ProsGreat training program for new employees. (as opposed to leaving you alone to figure things out); No Office Politics (and hence no drama); Dedicated people who are focused to get the work done, so that they can grow with the company. Data-driven environment with lots of analysis and number crunching (if you are data-driven you will enjoy it there). A good place to gain vast amounts of experience, if you are willing to put in the effort.

ConsHectic, multi-tasking environment that requires your full attention during work-hours (and yes, that means little time for small-talk or chit-chat, but who cares about those time-wasting activities). At times need to devote overtime to get assignments done. Steep learning curve if you are new to the company/industry. Lots of data and excel (a con if you absolutely hate excel). Public reprimanding for poor work quality, but that's not humiliation if it is focused on the work. (Believe, me, I have seen worse reprimands that are personal attacks in other companies).

Advice to Senior ManagementThere' a lot to learn for new hires when they first joined. There's a lot of information that is released that may seem overwhelming for new hires. Would like to see more patience in terms of training and working with new hires, to give them a chance to get up to speed so as to contribute more.

Not worth it

Manager (Current Employee)
    Brea, CA

Pros- nice new building, close to home
    - check won't bounce

Cons- degrading and depressing working environment
    - micro management to the core, scouting at employees in front of their cubes
    - low pay, low moral, taking advantage of foreign students that need visa sponsorship
    - long, unproductive work hours, no work / life balance
    - unorganized middle and upper management

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees with respect

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Product Specialist

Product Specialist (Current Employee)
    Brea, CA

ProsGood place to learn car parts. they have very good training program. if you are in love with car parts, you will like it here.

Consvery very busy and you will need overtime to complete your tasks. Your work load is not equalize your pay.

Product development

La Palma, CA

ProsGood people to work with.

Conslow pay, no opportunity to move up

Lack of vision and poorly managed

Manager (Former Employee)
    Brea, CA

ProsNice building in a good location, easy interview process, easy to get in. visa sponsorship for international students, company benefits is about average

ConsI was in the company for little over a year and see many people come and go through out that period. I was fortunate to work with some talented coworkers. however, due to the weak management team many of them just do not find it suitable stay in this company anymore and left. Personally, I found the work place very unpleasant, the high turn over rate just makes it difficult to work, by the time the person is trained, he/she is often gone or let go. during my year in the company, I witness over 20 people come and go in the office that has less than 20 people.
    other comments:
    - very high turn over rate, for the 1 yr time period I was there, over 20 people had come and go in the office has less than 20 people,
    - low moral, an unpleasant place to work
    - racially biased, 95~100% of the employees there are Asian (depends on the people they hired at the time)
    - micro management
    - weak sr. management team, unable to make decisions nor take responsibility

Provide exposure, accountability, stretching has prepared me easy transition in my current role/position.

Brea, CA

Prosdata/analytically driven, systematic with protocols and processes. knowledgeable and resourcesful team members, especially management (director and president). often encouraged us to use innovative thinking to continually refine strategies and processes behind product management, service and delivery to customers. great training programs. hindsight is 20/20 - knowing what i know now (in another company)... genera's overall compensation (salary, bonus, medical/health) is more competitive than my current, genera provides challenges/exposure to different scope/functions (i'm limited in my current role at new company - not enabling to grow/learn).

Conswas there for 7 years.. difficult at beginning with so much to learn (product, proctocol, procedure, customers, markets), but this stretched me in a positive sense. might be difficult for other people with character to looking to do one thing only. this place may be too quiet for some (not good for jabber mouth - which can be annoying), as many employees are focused on their activites.

Advice to Senior Managementthey do some annual group activity, but would be great to increase/frequent activities... especially for the top performers/contributors.

I'd stay away from this company

Brea, CA

Pros- Visa Sponsorship in US
    - In between job

Cons- Long squeezing hours
    - Extreme Micro Management, (they don't trust you)
    - Get ready to be humiliated out in the open
    - Low pay
    - zero job security, they can fire you without reason or notice
    - very low morale
    - Does not allow new ideas
    - No talking in the office
    - very high turn over rate,

Advice to Senior ManagementBeen in the company for few months and found out that this company is very poorly managed and surprised no one complained about it yet. They are specialized in hiring fresh college grads who needs visa to stay in the state and doesn't mind the way below market pay. a few unspoken rule:
    1. Keep your mouth shut in the office, or you won't last for 2 weeks
    2. You are not allowed to go out for lunch with coworkers because of the upper management do not want people to talk behind their back,
    3. Come in early and stay for extra 3~4 hrs is required even if you finish your work on time.
    4. No ideas allowed, they like people who follow their rules.
    5. get ready to be yell at out in the open, they do not treat employees with dignity.
    Company size is quite small, about 15 people in the office with extremely high turn over rate, for the few months I was there, counted 8 people had came and go in the office of 15 employees.
    Over all, I would not recommend this company to my friends.

Micro Managing/ Disorganized

ProsNice building, table tennis machine and bathroom.

ConsToo much micro managing going on. Disorganized, low hourly wage for highly stressfull responsibilities. Belittling of employees by coworkers and management. Not a diverse workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. Less of a high rate turnover if you just listen to your employees. Stop with the constant yelling and belittling of your employees, whether in english or your native tongue. Communicate within departments.

Favoritism, non management qualified people running the place, Illinois warehouse

ProsNone.. no work, no where to go for now..

ConsExtremely bad management, plant being managed by employee not qualified in management. Favoritism with their own race, (Asian). Horrible pay, 2011 .3 to .10 cent raise. With 75% of the employees being temps for several years, you figure they would be able to give plant employees a reasonable raise. Company mentions in meetings through out the year that they make miilions of dollars a year, when it comes to raise time, their answer is it was a bad year. Poor language skills, extremely hard to understand what they are saying.. winter warehouse is extremely cold, because they turn heaters off at night because some Jackson guy doesn't want a high bill, forced to wear heavy coats, while the office is nice and cozy. And yes folks all this happens at the warehouse in Illinois, so if you would like to work there make sure your Asian, you'll love it, other race go elsewhere.. warehouse has office hours which is ridiculous, some people do have a life and family to go to..

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone from Corporate should investigate how this plant is being ran and how employees are being treated. Perhaps take a little of your precious time to speak to a few employees. As management really is extra poor.

Worked for Genera Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genera Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genera Corporation CEO Jackson Kwok. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Genera Corporation employees.