Genera Corporation Reviews

3.1
Jackson Kwok

1. High Energy & High Output

Current Employee - Manager in Brea, CA

I have been working at Genera Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Have been with this company for over 10 years and “continual stretching” is the best term I can use to describe the company. There’s a lot of things going on and lots of detailed and strategic actions that require your full attention and energy. The challenges, when overcome with the right attitude and approach, has made me a better manager. Change is the norm, not the exception here and it keeps us ahead of our competitors and the cornerstone attributing to our growth. Multiple opportunities for growth, since business is growing. I definitely get more than what I’ve put into this company.

Cons

Hectic pace so you need to know to organize and prioritize. Perhaps too analytical for people who are uncomfortable with numbers. Candid discussions and debates do occur but professionalism is always maintained.

2. Inexperienced management and a lot of politics for a small organization. Stay away!

Former Employee - Product Specialist
    Former Employee - Product Specialist

I worked at Genera Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's really no pros..... unfortunately

Cons

Dishonest business practices (hint: why are there all of a sudden so many positive reviews posted separated by a few days apart??...read between the lines), very low pay (to a point which it is just outrageous), and little room for career growth.

Really re-evaluate the company policies and pay people at market rate.

3. Recent graduates: great place to get your feet wet

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Brea, CA

I have been working at Genera Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Thorough training sessions that enables any new employees to grasp the offered products lines and market climate
    -A politics-free environment to work in
    -Hands-on experience for every aspect for the product life cycle. For example: Product Development, Supply Chain management, Pricing, Sales, Quality Control, and Customer Service.
    -Data-driven in terms of performance evaluation. Efforts put in will be rewarded accordingly
    -Close to home (10 minute drive)
    -Open door policy with the management
    -Great place for new grads to gain large amount of experience

Cons

-Hectic working environment that requires multitasking skills. If you can’t multitask, you will learn how to here.
    -Depending on the department, longer working hours compared to average companies. However, over-time will be compensated during annual review.
    -Tough learning curve for those who has no background in the industry
    -Short notices on business trip arrangements
    -Half day of work on Black Friday

You excel at sharing vision for the company, rationale for company-wide strategies, and boosting morale. Please continue to do so. However, please allow a little bit more time for the new hires to catch up to full-speed. The new hire period may be slightly overwhelming, especially for those who have no experience in the industry.

5. Never a Dull Moment

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Brea, CA

I have been working at Genera Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Exposure to and opportunities to learn different skillsets,
    - Talented and industrious team members
    - Multi-tasking, multi-exposure, multi-evolving environment.
    - Receive extensive training time to ensure familiarity with all processes.

Cons

- Slightly longer hours than others (due to communication with overseas)
    - Quiet environment with no music.
    - Steep initial learning curve trying to understand everything that’s going on.

Consider having the sales team to start their training by handling product managment duties to gain in-depth knowledge of the products. Hence they are better-equipped to answer customers’ technical questions, instead of relaying most inquiries to the Product team.

6. A great place to learn about a growing industry, even better place for recent college graduates.

I have been working at Genera Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For younger professionals looking to get into a growing industry, this is definitely a great starting place. The pace is extremely fast but it helps to stretch you as an individual. I’ve learned so much here in the past years in many different areas – inventory, product management/design, manufacturing, marketing, quality control and sales. The training is very organized, extensive and comprehensive because they want to make sure you understand everything before they allow you to start “real work”, which is good if you are coming in as a blank slate. Management takes time investing in their employees personally, seeing them as partners rather than just associates.

Cons

Expect that some members are working longer hours because of correspondence with overseas vendors (depending which department you’ll be in, but always compensated during annual review). For some, it will seem awfully quiet perhaps from because of the focus required on many tasks that are critical to accuracy, making chit-chat (especially with those in the ‘zone’) infrequent, but you’ll get used to it. Joking still goes on at downtime. Sometimes urgent projects can be very last minute.

You do a good job leading by example and casting vision for the team. Keep it up.

7. Product Specialist (Current Employee)

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Brea, CA

I have been working at Genera Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is compassionate and take things in the positive way to the employee who is slower pace learner and with positive attitude. Company is willing to train the employees who are also willing to learn to help contribute to the company’s goals. Provide full trainings as needed when the employees lack knowledge and to enhance their efficiency on completing tasks. There are opportunities for you to grow as far as you are willing to put in.

Cons

Fast-paced environment and facing different challenges every day, sometimes it will be out of your hands especially customers’ complaints in regards to QC matters and suppliers slow response on quality corrective actions. It’s frustrating and matters as such, but can consult with managers for support and directions.

Each employee needs to take responsibilities/initiative to release burden from the managers. Well training processes need to be provided. Sometimes, product specialist trains new hire, but wasn’t thorough in sharing the whole picture of the product management protocol. As such, it’s sometimes difficult to understand without seeing the complete picture. Additional train-the-trainer program to the product specialist would be helpful, or sending “qualified” product Specialist on all training would help the learning curve of new employees.

8. enriching experience with collaborating with a focused & discipline team and compassionate leader.

I worked at Genera Corporation full-time

Pros

Management, especially their President (Jackson) and VP were resourceful, supportive, inspiring and always creating opportunities in developing me. He shared the impacts anticipated from the recession and the strategies, including operational streamlining and work force restructure (including reduction). While corporate America terminated at will, he shared the outlook with organization including those whose jobs were impacted, provided severance paid, extended insurance coverage, personal letters of recommendations, and assistance with job placements in a time, mind you in the midst of a recession and for non-exempt employees. Compassion, class and commitment comes to mind in describing him and how he leads the company. As he always said, it's important to strike a balance with the stakeholders that includes the customers, employees, suppliers and not just the shareholders.

Cons

I guess the disadvantage is for those who are looking for entitlement, asking for compensation and rewards before committing to delivery of quality work. While many companies put up with this behavior, Genera's management does not (which I concur); otherwise, wouldn't that ruin the morale of those who are the ones really pulling the weight?

I wish they had a satellite office in San Jose, so that I could still remain in the company after relocating (with my family).

9. A place where I cut my teeth, allowing me to grow by leaps and bounds in my next job.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Brea, CA

I worked at Genera Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training program for new employees. (as opposed to leaving you alone to figure things out); No Office Politics (and hence no drama); Dedicated people who are focused to get the work done, so that they can grow with the company. Data-driven environment with lots of analysis and number crunching (if you are data-driven you will enjoy it there). A good place to gain vast amounts of experience, if you are willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Hectic, multi-tasking environment that requires your full attention during work-hours (and yes, that means little time for small-talk or chit-chat, but who cares about those time-wasting activities). At times need to devote overtime to get assignments done. Steep learning curve if you are new to the company/industry. Lots of data and excel (a con if you absolutely hate excel). Public reprimanding for poor work quality, but that's not humiliation if it is focused on the work. (Believe, me, I have seen worse reprimands that are personal attacks in other companies).

There' a lot to learn for new hires when they first joined. There's a lot of information that is released that may seem overwhelming for new hires. Would like to see more patience in terms of training and working with new hires, to give them a chance to get up to speed so as to contribute more.

10. Not worth it

Current Employee - Manager in Brea, CA

I have been working at Genera Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- nice new building, close to home
    - check won't bounce

Cons

- degrading and depressing working environment
    - micro management to the core, scouting at employees in front of their cubes
    - low pay, low moral, taking advantage of foreign students that need visa sponsorship
    - long, unproductive work hours, no work / life balance
    - unorganized middle and upper management

treat your employees with respect

11. Product Specialist

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Brea, CA

I have been working at Genera Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn car parts. they have very good training program. if you are in love with car parts, you will like it here.

Cons

very very busy and you will need overtime to complete your tasks. Your work load is not equalize your pay.

Genera Corporation Photos