Generac Power Systems

Generac Power Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld

Aaron Jagdfeld

Great at the start, OK through the middle and then draining at the end.

Manager (Former Employee) Waukesha, WI

ProsPlenty of good opportunities while company was private. Pay good for well qualified employees, and regular bonuses. Improving the work environment by refurbishing HQ building (new lunchroom - finally).

ConsLack of ideas on preparing employees for promotion, dysfunctional internal posting. Losing cohesive vision by creating intra-divisional rivalry - could lead to loss of optimal decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain employees to advance them rather than continuously hire outside. This will breed loyalty and maintain the culture which made Generac successful.

Over managed

District Sales Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsField based, visit corporate once per quarter

ConsgPS tracker on company vehicles Nd they use it constantly

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the people you hire. Stock benefits , opened at 14 about 4 years ago, now trading in the $50 dollar range. Stock options for executives, all became millionaires overnight. Employees had to buy through their personal broker at the public price

Senior Engineer

Engineer (Current Employee) Waukesha, WI

ProsCompany is growing; more resources being added & people being hired. You get to work on some really cool stuff. My boss does a good job training me. Great benefits.

ConsVery slow to change "That is not the Generac Way" is the reason given to shoot down new ideas. Salary is only average

Advice to Senior ManagementStart acting like a global publicly traded company and stop doing things just because that is they way you've always done them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unhappy of the lack of direction and professionalism regarding the company policies adhered to or deviated from.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany Growth needs a vast overhaul of fair treatment of employees. Make company values a living, breathing reality for ALL associates!

ConsFailure of follow-through concerning training and development of valuable human resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet you professional act together!

Applications Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waukesha, WI

ProsFlexibility when it comes to purchasing new equipment on the rare ocassions that they do, management doesn't take forever to justify the purchase of equipment.

Cons"That is the way we've always done it" attitude of management. Unprofessional work policies from Human Resources. Generac was started in a garage and still runs like it is in a garage.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize your mindset and your policies.

This place is horrible - stay away at all costs!

Engineer (Current Employee) Waukesha, WI

ProsIf you like working 80 hours a week and still get treated like crap, you will like it here.

ConsWhere do you even start? The expectations are off the charts what anyone can do. They expect you to be super-human. Even if you are, they will still treat you very poorly. Almost no promotions from within (because everyone sucks). The planning is terrible, it changes weekly or daily. There is a reason they always have 30+ openings in engineering, because no one wants to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementWow. Treating people like crap is not a good management strategy. Stop blaming the employees and look at yourself.

look elseware (

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGave me a job when I was Laid off (low balled wages and vacation)

Cons1. low wages (engineer)
    2. clueless management (no experience and talk down to a professional with more than 20 years of experience
    3. absolutely will not pay mileage to drive 25 miles between facilities (as a professional expect to run from one office to another for company business (subtract at least, the cost , of a tank of gas from your wages weekly))
    4. worst benefits I have ever had as an engineer
    5. the place is filthy and old (offices, the factory floor is worse)
    6. 3 bathrooms for 1000 employees
    7. no lunchroom (office people eat at their desk and factory employees sit on boxes or eat in their car
    8. management is completely disorganized
    9. program documentation is about 20 years behind the times
    10. 2 weeks vacation for a professional with more than 20 years experience (they told me absolutely not negotiable
    11. the only reason to take a job at generac is because you need money coming in until you find a real job
    12. In managements mind all software cost too much, so forget about having microsoft project, fea, mini tab, etc
    13. hardly any promotions from within
    14. people leave both the office and the factory floor, to find better positions regularly (thats why they have so many openings, all the time)(my department lost 9 people last year)
    15. Never take a contract position at generac. (serious 2nd class treatment and if they ask you to go direct (almost never) they low ball the wages.

Advice to Senior Management1 pay wages that are comparable to others in the market and hire real experienced managers (or better yet, train people from within instead of pulling in unknown talent from outside)

Too much management

ProsThey're remodeling the entire building so at least you will have that to look forward to. They just build a cafeteria so there's that.

ConsNon-designers get to share their opinion on everything and weigh in with their personal opinions that have no research to back it up.

material handler

Material Handler (Current Employee) Whitewater, WI

ProsVery nice environment, co workers, and supervisors.

ConsOvertime is mandatory and not much notice is given when they want you to work. Warehouse is unorganized and a little behind the times technology wise. Ordering system is from the dark ages and material is constantly over ordered.

Good company, low pay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waukesha, WI

ProsThey will teach you a lot and make sure you completely understand your job.
    Every supervisor I had but one was awesome and really seemed to care about the employees.
    Opportunities for growth within company.
    Solid Benefits

ConsLower than average pay scale for the industry at least for production workers
    Mandatory overtime up to 60 hours a week
    Time is not given off without a consequences.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost management does their job very well. To one I would say to get to know your employees a bit more and don't just give negative feedback if you are not going to give positive feedback when one goes above and beyond

Worked for Generac Power Systems? Contribute to the Community!