Generac Power Systems

Updated September 10, 2014
2.5

Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld
Aaron Jagdfeld

Officespace to the max!!! great place to build resume'

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company gave me amazing personal development skills and assisted me in creating an amazing resume in sales and helped me land an amazing job elsewhere. The Benefits were outstanding. The employee picnics are wonderful because they have free beer so you can forget about work for once on there dime.

Cons

The pay was really poor especially since the sales departments are usually short staffed with absolutely no extra compensation but yes to extra stress. It feels like I was back in school with all of the extra non sense they throw at you every week from left field with due dates!! Any issues start with the sales rep. Then get passed to a department with one great lady in there. The company over works you and under pays you. Watch out for the "executive team" and the Many vp's they have. You have to thresten to leave to get a raise. Promotions are not handed out. No opportunities to move to outside sales as they claim "this is where it starts as an isr and then you get to outside sales" yeah, you get the amazing training and go make bank elsewhere by finding s great company and promoting yourself!! You don't matter but the company does. No hurricanes, no sales, no bonuses. Rename sales reps. To account executives or managers.

Upper management needs to do more team building activities with there employees more than once a year. They need to improve MANY processes which ultimately affects customers and end users then sales. Make this a commission job and drop the taxed 40% bonuses. In the world of sales- money motivates which drives sales.

Stay away...very far away!

Current Employee - Sheet Metal  in  Eagle, WI
    Current Employee - Sheet Metal in Eagle, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of overtime(instead of higher pay)
    Their checks don`t bounce

Cons

Very low pay,no balance between work and home life,unsafe forllift drivers especially in the shipping area.
    Once you at the "top" of your labor grade(pay scale) thats it.
    Doing more or going beyond is not rewarded
    Micro managed,and badly at that
    The bureaucracy
    Revolving door of employees...if you stay a year thats a long time
    Management is very disrespectful to employees,unless your a pretty woman or drink with the supervisor at lunch
    No drug testing,not even after an injury
    No saftey concern is addressed until AFTER and injury occurs
    Bonus structure is terrible...you might get a little something,if they dont spend money to polish the shop floors
    I could go on and on...do yourself a favor and stay away

Pay quality people a quality wage!
    Really evaluate your managers,most things get done do to "lower" level empolyees` hard work
    DRUG TEST DRUG TEST DRUG TEST!
    Take some time to visit the shop and talk to people..and see why things don`t run as they should.
    Trust the people who do the job everyday rather than the lead or supervisor (not much there)

Great growth opportunities

Current Employee - Manager  in  Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Growing, fast-paced company with a lot of opportunity to grow. Good benefits and a do what it takes to get it done culture. Great products where quality, safety and support are a driving force for development.

Cons

Given the growth, change is constant and priorities shift. The bigger the organization gets the harder it is to get things done and the longer it takes

consider ways to take steps out of the process to allow things that move faster. Push some authority and decisions down - too much bottle neck waiting on the top to approve

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There is a reason for the revolving door.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great product and brand recognition in the market. For an engineer you really get exposed to the full product rather than working on 1 part of the generator.

Cons

Stuck in your position.
    EVERYTHING rolls downhill. They hire more and more management, but the responsibilities kept falling more and more on the lower level workers.
    Sales dictates Engineering and they do not allow for enough time for testing.

Promote from within!

A good group of positive people!

Former Employee - Technical Service Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Service Representative

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A good group of positive people, trying to make the best of a challenging market segment.

Cons

Their is a change in the culture happening don't know where things will end up, The Drive!

Watch your pace of change!

Growing pains, but making progress!

Current Employee - Service Department Employee
    Current Employee - Service Department Employee

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Co-workers and boss's are very down to earth and laid back. If you do your job well then they will be more flexible with you. There are many opportunities for advancement and growth here. The company is growing at a fast rate, almost too fast. The benefits are pretty good and competitive.

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than other companies, and I have see a lot of turnover because of it. The company is going through growing pains and we are playing catch up. The computer software is very old and outdated. Many aspects of the company are run like it is 1995, they really need to get with the times.

Work to keep good employees and young talent. Also satisfy employees eagerness to advance and grow within the company.

Not a good work environment.

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reliable job.
    Generac makes some really cool generators and my job can be fun and rewarding.
    The people you work with will be nice and helpful.
    They'll hire you! Don't let a temp agency play you at Generac.
    This is a billion dollar company on the NYSE and there is potential for tremendous growth.

Cons

Many departments are constantly being "restructured". They use the word restructured because it sounds better then "these departments are unfix-ably broken".
    Interim manager after interim manger.
    There is a real us vs them mentality between hourly and salary employees.
    A lot of my co-workers and managers just wanted to keep what they had. No interest in getting promoted or improving things.
    I thanked my manager for giving me a job on her last day. She replied,"you had a pulse, don't thank me yet".
    They seem to hire to fire which is gross.

Be more honest with your employees. You are on the same team. So restructuring needed to happen but can we please get back to work.

Says they care...but they don't

Current Employee - Accounting and Finance  in  Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Accounting and Finance in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Finally upgraded decor and added a cafeteria. Lots of good people around.

Cons

1. No work life balance...in fact it has been said the balance needs to be towards work.
    2. Micro-managed
    3. Growth opportunities are few, they would rather hire from outside
    4. Low pay
    5. Not flexible on vacation time
    6. Against working remote
    7. No direction from management
    8. Certain areas are just broken (Accounting, IT, HR) Others are constantly re-structured
    9. Bad management from the top down
    10. No training

Act like the billion dollar company you are, promote from within, train properly, treat your employees with respect

Transformation from a family business that cared about employees to a billion dollars business that ....

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good opportunity for growth IF you are willing to give up balance of family work. Culture has changed for the positive. No more carpeting on the cubicles. Better atmosphere, meeting rooms and cafeteria.

Cons

Senior mgt asks for input and opinions but doesn't really care. New senior mgt that loves the big picture and doesn't understand what it takes to get things done. Will churn through people without hesitation. HR department is as cold hearted as the last WI winter. Pay us below average.

Get your personal wealth out and get back to caring about the people that are instrumental in helping making you look good.

Frustrating, and not what I was sold during the interview process.

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Potential for growth is great.

Cons

Poor benefits, no real push to create the change necessary to take the business to the next level. Upper management wants to create new processes, but won't fully fund the technology to create "excellence."

Spend some time at the businesses that are creating real excellence, then fund the program to use tools that really work.

Worked for Generac Power Systems? Contribute to the Community!