Generac Power Systems Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

working for generac

Pros

Has compassion for employees and is willing to work with them on an individual basis

Cons

Could be more competitive in wages

Advice to Management

Keep open mind when listening to your employees ideas or suggestions

Culture needs a little help

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growing company, CEO who has drive, newly remodeled building. Lots of work

Cons

If you want to keep your job, you must not have a work-life balance. I work 65+ hours/week for the last 2 years and luckily moving up through the company. My pay doesnt get any larger, whether I work 40 or 65. There is too much to do and not enough resources. It is job security, however, if I fall behind, only I can pick up the slack. If I fall way behind, I risk losing my job. Walking through the building, people are depressed, not happy, and rarely have anything good to say about their job. The revolving door of employees on ALL levels doesnt seem to help either. I feel I am constantly trying to develop new relationships with people on a regular basis. Prior to my newer position, I had 3 bosses in 1 1/3 years. Each boss judges performance differently, and each boss exercized different leadership practices.

Advice to Management

HR-Take a look at who you have, and what you want. Develop the future, and utilize the resources from the past that got you here today. Ensure employees are staffed high enough, and workload is blanced. THERE WILL BE ANOTHER STORM. Grant extra vacation time, get better benefits (401K), and most importantly, pay people what they deserve. Too many people are fying off to the competitors because they pay more. I knwo a few personally. Managers/Execs, empower your employees. You do not have all of the answers and there is a team here to help you reach our goals. My dept, with a VP that encourages my idealologies, has been a great success.

Lack of Employee Appreciation

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Nice, recently updated facility with cafeteria -Lots of opportunity for advancement/internal promotion -Fun company picnics A lot really depends on your team/boss. My current boss is clearly rooting for me to do well and has advocated for my professional development from day 1. He allows me flexibility to pursue avenues that are of interest to me, and proposes projects that will push me outside of my comfort zone. In my previous position at the company, everything was much more regimented and coming to work was not enjoyable. We were incredibly micro-managed and it seemed like we were constantly being berated for something.

Cons

-Low pay -2 weeks starting vacation, don't bump up to 3 weeks until 5 years -Little flexibility with hours (depending on department), strict with attendance for some but little in the way of ramifications for those who abuse policies -No lines of open communication (varies by department)

Run Away!!!

Current Employee - Engineer in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building and they have a new walking trail, well signs in grass that show you where you can walk. Revolving door makes it easy to move around and try new things since there are openings all the time.

Cons

Outdated systems which are hard to use and lack of resources to get things done. Revolving door of good employees with no end in sight. Please pay people that we need what they should be making so they will not leave the first time a recruiter reaches out to them. The economy is doing well now so recruiters are targeting Generac now after reading the Generac reviews on Glass Door, how do I know this well one actually brought it up to me this past week when she called me. I imagine she is calling my coworkers as well and we will have even more holes in our department soon.

Advice to Management

Let us do our job and stop changing the goals and projects midstream. Pay people more so they will stay, and deal with the VPs that are forcing everyone to leave both in sales and engineering/product management. The dark lord is causing havoc and we are loosing good people because of it. HR deal with the issues instead of just making fake glass door posts which prospective job seekers will see right through. Loosen up on the vacation time we are allowed, my friends that I graduated with 5 years ago are already at 3-4 weeks as opposed to myself who gets 2 and that will not change for another 2 years.

6. Growing company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team environments are very strong and their is plenty of work to stay busy. Working on projects exposes you to many different engineering aspects like FEA, material analysis, BOMs, project management, manufacturing, and testing. It's great to have your designs go into production which is very fulfilling. The culture has certainly changed drastically for the better over the past year. I believe that the outlook for the company is very strong as we all grow.

Cons

VP Management is used to not challenging the views of a CEO; they seem to flip sides and people tend to get thrown "under the bus".

Advice to Management

Document your decisions (make them first), communicate more, and require less meetings. People working under you really do want to make things better; ask them how we can improve and listen.

Good place to work but could be better

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over all Generac is about the same as any other company out there. Yet what makes it stand out is the people.

Cons

Generac is behind the time with Technology. Network is slow. Hardware is old and even new is under powered. Engineering is stuck to desktops.

Advice to Management

Upgrade to more powerfull laptops for engineering.

8. Good Company, ever changing

Current Employee - 2-5
    Current Employee - 2-5

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

It's a fast paced environment where everyone is pulling together to be successful. There are multiple opportunities to grow within the company if you take responsibility for your career.

Cons

Upper management can be to far into the weeds, sometimes a good thing,sometimes not.

Advice to Management

Continue to regularly communicate with employees at all levels ensuring there is understanding at all levels.

9. Very High Energy Company

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very fast paced high energy company with an agressive growth strategy. Great people, smart, fun, and committed. Strong share position in all category segments.

Cons

Business can be hard to predict based on the unpredictable nature of power outages making it hard manage workflow and meet stategic objectives.

Advice to Management

Continue to diversify and limit dependence on power outages.

Growing Pains in Wisconsin

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pleasant work environment, great people, improvements in evidence everywhere, and executive management with a plan for diversification. Good mid-size company benefits and good management level communications.

Cons

Manager to employee communications vary from plant to plant, department to department, and manager to manager - no standard operating plan/procedure at the employee level. Inadequate training plans and effort at all levels. Culture clashes due to many new and varied background employees. Compensation at some levels is not on a par with metro industries.

Advice to Management

Stay the course with top level plans. Improve the revolving door policy in the HR Department - new employees need proven HR professionals that know/understand the Generac culture. An up to date Org Chart of the organization so employees know who to go to for chain of command decisions. Decide exactly what the new Generac Culture is. Listen more to group leaders and supervisors about what the real problems are.

Growth Company - (need to focus on organization design & people investment)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company continues to make strategic acquisitions that will help the company grow and become less dependent on storms. Very product and innovation focused with the mindset to being a market leader.

Cons

The company's focus is top line growth, without taking into consideration that organization design and integration "go hand-in-hand". As the company continues to grow the focus needs to be on people development and organization integration of teams within current businesses and new acquired businesses. There is far too much turn-over, which creates for a negative culture.

Advice to Management

Work on improving the organization structure, more integrated teams leads to empowerment and efficiency and speed to market

RSS Feed </> Embed