General Assembly

4.0

Jake Schwartz

web development immersive student

I worked at General Assembly

Pros

Great instructors and learning environment. The Curriculums are also very useful.

Cons

very condensed materials, for some relocation is required.

General Assembly is an awesome place full of great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at General Assembly part-time (less than an year)

Pros

GA is a great place to work. The educational and community environment is super inspiring!

Cons

GA is growing at a rate that their facilities are struggling to keep up with.

Intern

Current Employee - Online Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Online Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at General Assembly as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people working here are so interesting and interested, helpful, and overall just very friendly. As an intern, my managers always put in a huge effort to make sure that I feel challenged and working towards a goal that I find valuable.

Cons

As the company is growing, it's becoming less personal. However, this type of change is inevitable but can lead to nostalgia.

Meaningful work, but disorganized middle management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at General Assembly full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meaningful work and the ability to change the lives of people. Opportunities to grow interpersonal and communication skills.

Cons

For non-NYC offices, there are few opportunities for growth. Things move slowly and there's a great deal of friction with internal bureaucracy. Pay is slightly below market. Few technical challenges.

Provide real paths for growth to instructional team.

Learn from the Ground Up, but without the support of Management

Current Employee - Program Producer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Producer in New York, NY

I have been working at General Assembly full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You take ownership of many parts of the business and its products
    Tuesday lunches covered by GA

Cons

The company is trying to launch digital products that don't seem all that innovative, more like dups of existing products in the market
    Very junior managers that are moving up fast without leadership training
    The organizational chart is incredibly meaningless
    Salaries are lower than most startups in their caliber

Invest in your employees, and don't change them so quickly from one part of the business to the next
    Hire more experienced managers

Great culture, overly aggressive expansion

I have been working at General Assembly full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture is great, lots of smart and driven people, lots of dencent perks, flexible schedule

Cons

GA is sacrificing quality over quantity, trying to generate as much revenue as possible but not maintaining the overall quality of their courses. So desperate for students that they would actually just take any walk-in willing to pay.

In the long-run, it will be more beneficial for the company to maintain high quality standards. So, for God's sake, please stop sacrificing quality for more marginal revenue.

Valuable experience on a collaborative and supportive team (both locally and globally), great mission to help others

Current Employee - Program Producer
    Current Employee - Program Producer

I have been working at General Assembly full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I honestly can't say enough how grateful I am to be part of this team. GA's core values aren't just words - everyone on the team truly lives by them and it's evident that everyone's looking out for each other. Not only that, but the company does a great job recognizing our achievements, hard work, and strengths - to the point where people are given the opportunity to relocate to another campus or transition into a new role that they find greater passion for within the company. You're working with bright, positive, resourceful people every day, and it's inspiring to see students, instructors, and alumni on campus and meeting each other, talking about ideas and what they've learned/taught. The entire team does a great job celebrating each other's successes and are genuinely happy and excited for one another. The brand is second to none - attention to detail, witty but not pretentious, minimalist + simple, inclusive, positive. We're allowed to try new things and fail with the understanding that that's one of the best ways to get better. I am growing and learning so much, and with a team I trust, respect, and appreciate. We truly care about our students and instructors and go out of our way to make their experience a positive one.

Cons

Rapid growth stage as GA continues to expand, so there are some natural growing pains - but everyone understands this and works together to move forward and get better, rather than focusing on the hiccups and mistakes. Can be overwhelming the first month or two after you join but if you stick with it, it's worth it.

Please recognize that not all markets can run like NYC! But otherwise, awesome job in leading or team.

Understandable issues at a fast-growing company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at General Assembly full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Had some great friends here (and still do), really liked the mission of the company.

Cons

Saw the culture become incredibly political and competitive in a way that didn't take the products' or students' best interest at heart.

Secrecy was quite clearly a cultural value of upper management, and it lead to a situation where employees often felt they were guessing at what management wanted them to do—not trying to simply build the best courses they could. When you hire smart people, transparency is the only way to help everyone align goals and succeed.

Bittersweet

I worked at General Assembly as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot, great culture and interesting people. Bright future.

Cons

Expanding way too quickly. Many of the people in leadership positions are not cut out to be leaders or supervisors (especially since they are mostly in their late 20's still).

Improve on communication, create a higher standard for hiring people.

Great company culture with some growing pains

I worked at General Assembly as a contractor

Pros

Enjoyed going to work everyday and really liked most of my colleagues. Really smart people helping to make a company grow quickly. Very flexible re: vacation.

Cons

Seems like the "perks" aren't up to par with other startups. Had a tough time with space for employees for a while...very difficult to find real estate.

General Assembly Photos