General Atomics Aeronautical Systems

General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Reviews

Updated Mar 19, 2014

General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Chairman and CEO Neal Blue

Neal Blue

Pros:
  • "9/80 work week and they do have a pension plan"
    in 9 reviews
  • "GA-ASI is a growing, solid company that offers good benefits including a pension plan"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The complany has a lot of tribal knowledge that many do not like to share for fear it will make them less valuable to the company itself"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The company is growing fast and growing pains are obvious"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Couldn't be happier...

I have been working at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems full-time

ProsFelxible working hours, amazing benefits, company is still small enough to where you can network between departments and build lasting professional relationships. There is substantial room for growth and professional development if you are dedicated professional, and have a good set of soft skills. The culture is amazing, and it is a true pleasure to come to work with the people currently employed there.

ConsGranted, the pay is slightly less than industry standard, but compensation comes in many forms. Excercise every benefit made available.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust as with the rest of the company, I've seen postive trends in the hiring process and leadership selection. Let's continue on that path. Great job.

GA-ASI

I have been working at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems

ProsVery interesting work, interesting contracts, technology. Off-Fridays are very nice to have. The pension plan is nice and rare these days

ConsMANY layers of management with a very black and white view of the workforce. Extremely hierarchical environment. A lot of empire building happening right now.

Expectation that your work is your life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company provides good health benefits, retirement plan, and solid company

ConsLike the title says! If you want to live and eat work go to GA-ASI.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize yourself and develop clear defined processes for your staff.

Scientist

Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule and sometimes interesting work. Not looking for quarterly profits as much as some defense contractors. Leads to longer term vision and research.

ConsHard work and innovation are not incentivised. Star performers and slack offs get the same bonus/raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of the rising talent or somebody else might.

Good Company overall

I have been working at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems

ProsThe benefit options at this company are great. The people are good to work with. The mission of the company is worthwhile.

ConsThe management has an old-school mentality; they are not in a hurry. Promotion takes many years of dedicated service. Sometimes it may not be available at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote your people faster! Talented folks are lost everyday because they get impatient.

Assemble electrical cables (various size). Crimping, cable splicing (mechanical and solder), soldering, final assemblies

Cable Assembler III (Former Employee)

I worked at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsBest reason was peoples are highly trained and professional, good environment.

ConsThe location is far where I live.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake good care of your employee and employee will do their best for the company.

This company is in serious need of a management overhaul. Has become very top-heavy.

Procurement Group (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros9/80 work week and they do have a pension plan. Other benefits come out of your paycheck. Lots to pick and choose from but you will pay for them.

ConsMANAGEMENT is so insensitive to the real work force. Play POLITICS all day long. No moving up unless you love to kiss-up and are a "YES" MAN.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue! Don't make decisions when you don't know what you are talking about. Stop pretending. Ask the employees that are actually doing the work. Treat employees (below mgmt. level) like real people and not 1st graders. Everybody is born with a brain and is capable of using it. When jobs are posted - make it what the job actually is and not some far-fetched generic description that is way off in left field.

GA-ASI sensors division - great place to have a job, but not a "career"

Engineer (Current Employee)
Rancho Bernardo, CA

I have been working at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work to do. Pay is pretty good when you come in.

ConsToo many managers. Too much oversight. Roles and responsibilities aren't well defined between people/groups which leads to a lot of infighting.

Raises are terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementI challenge you to take an employee survey

At least the checks clear...

Technical Writer (Current Employee)

I have been working at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems full-time

ProsThere is plenty of work to be done = job security. The people you meet and work with are great.

ConsIf you are retired military you are a shoe in for a promotion, but if you did not you are screwed. Some teams are ran like a military unit, meaning you are expected to bend over backward for the greater good, but no compensation for long hours or extra $$. The people that have been there for years are regularly asked to train their new boss, for the promotion they were looking forward to.
As a former service member myself I have been around too much of the good ol' boys club. That is why many of us did not stay in the military.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the talent you have in house, and military rank don't mean they know how to do every job.

Great Place to Work

Quality Engineer IV (Current Employee)
Poway, CA

Pros- Great pay and benefits
- Flexible work schedule
- Meritocracy: If you work hard, are able to effectively work with other people and groups, and meet goals, then you will succeed at this company
- Work is fun, always new and changing. You can learn as much as you possibly can

Cons- The company does value loyalty and longevity. That can be a good and bad thing, as your Management typically consists of long-term employees
- The company is going through a phase where it had expanded in leaps and bounds, but now has to define itself better. Processes needed to improved (this is in work)

Advice to Senior ManagementWork through this stage of uncertainty, possibly look at leveraging current knowledge into innovation in much smaller domestic aircraft

Worked for General Atomics Aeronautical Systems? Contribute to the Community!

General Atomics Aeronautical Systems – Why Work for Us?

The business of General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI) is the development of transformational technologies that deliver paradigm-changing results. An affiliate of privately-held General Atomics, GA-ASI is a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Atomics Aeronautical Systems CEO Neal Blue. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by General Atomics Aeronautical Systems employees.