General Atomics

General Atomics Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

General Atomics Chairman and CEO Neal Blue

Neal Blue

Pros
  • Great benefits and lots of jobs(in 9 reviews)

• I really enjoyed the 9/80 schedule (work 9hrs/day and get every other Friday off)(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is very arrogant and doesn't listen to their employees(in 4 reviews)

• Very poor upper management, unqualified(in 3 reviews)

Nice company for technical people / Full of obstacles for sales people

Middle Management (Former Employee)

ProsBroad product line allows career shifts and learning
    Competitive pay at nice defense-industry rates
    Generous vacation/sick pay, full benefits, tuition reimbursement
    Private ownership by Blue brothers eliminates outside pressures and stock price manipulations
    Cool technologies - plasma, stealth coatings, Predator, rail guns
    Owner Neal Blue is amazing to understand and leverage so many diverse technologies
    San Diego!

ConsLegal department's slowness and risk aversion has been strangling the company for past five years
    High level of conflict and office politics among departments in some GA entities
    Ridiculous number of approvals for routine sales (and 10 times worse for international)
    Family ownership results in inevitable nepotism
    Lack of training in organizational and people-management skills
    Sales and marketing are dirty words

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees who are in direct contact with customers and the markets. Let them lead the organization rather than allowing support groups, such as legal, accounting and production, to dictate policies and destroy customer relationships and employee morale.

Solid Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, growth potential and competitive salary

ConsEnhance intern opportunities and development opportunities

At will company that will.

Security Officer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat benefits and lots of jobs.

ConsThe company is well known for low balling you on salary.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manufacturing Production Liaison Engineering

Engineering Manufacturing Liaison (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat Place to work , I would return

Consnone, I could not think of any

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Top heavy - too many chiefs and nothing gets done!

Human Resources (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIf you are mediocre and not ambitious, this is the perfect place for you because you'll just float on by getting a paycheck, not being developed, and contribute very little.

ConsToo many managers, every single one of them has to have a say and nothing ever gets approved. Projects will sit and sit and sit and pass from employee to employee that you feel you are in Groundhog's Day redoing the work someone before you had already redone for someone before them. It is a crazy circus here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over your egos and positions of authority and make decisions that are best for the majority as opposed to your own selfish reasons.

Program Planner

Program Planner (Current Employee) Rancho Bernardo, CA

ProsThe Professionalism at this company is paramount

ConsLike to see management more involved in keeping people more accountable

Advice to Senior ManagementNot just being focuse on the project but holding people more accountable

Seniority is king

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood benefits (medical and dental insurance, pension, 401K) with above average vacation time and stable job security. Campuses are very well kept and a great location in San Diego.

ConsNo real incentive to better yourself. If you do the minimum required work you will be treated the same as those that go above and beyond. Compensation is very seniority based with arbitrary performance review cycles. I would not recommend this to anyone with career ambition.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those that work hard and deliver. Quality and quantity of work should be the main compensation driver, not how long you have been with the company.

Poor management and care for employees

A&P Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, pension. Working on a leading edge of aviation

Consleadership was poor, lack of experienced management. The people in charge are only in charge because they were there first, not because they are the most qualified. Lots of dissatisfied employees. No attempts at retaining experienced/senior employees. Morale is very bad and contagious. They've had a mass exodus of employees in the last year.

Pay was average, perhaps slightly below.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people! There are some very simple, inexpensive things that could be done to turn around the morale. Really isn't about the money, it's about making happy employees.

Good company culture but lacks direction and leadership.

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFreedom and ability to work in a flexible work environment. Many leadership oppurtunites for people whi are motivated and driven.

ConsAt ttimes no strategy and lack of overrsight leads to lack of recognition. Ability to controll your own destiny in terms of responsibility but unfortunately as you grab more responsibility it is not rewarded from a compensation standpoint.

Wonderful

Administrative (Current Employee) Palmdale, CA

ProsGreat Company, Nice people, Great Pay and Benefits

ConsI cant really say that I have any cons to say about this employer except at the time when I made the decision to leave voluntarily due to personal/ family reasons, when asking HR for a leave of absence they did not have any stress related reason that I was eligible for. It was upsetting because I did not want to leave General Atomic s because I knew my situation at that time would only be temporary.

Worked for General Atomics? Contribute to the Community!