General Atomics Reviews

Reset
3.3
General Atomics Chairman and CEO Neal Blue
Neal Blue

Pros
  • Great benefits and lots of jobs (in 10 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule for most employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor upper management, unqualified (in 3 reviews)

1. Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at General Atomics full-time

Pros

Lots of work, great benefits, lateral mobility if the job gets boring. I've had great supervisors.

Cons

Ol' boys club, sometimes management requires long term unpaid overtime (for salaried employees)

2. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Poway, CA

Pros

I liked my immediate management, felt comfortable talking to my supervisor.

Cons

Nothing really to complain about.

3. Electrical Test Engineer

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Poway, CA

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, good work life balance

Cons

lacking growth opportunity, lack of process

5. Mechanic4

Former Employee - Mechanic IV in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanic IV in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Workplace was very positive. Aknowledgement of your contribution was regular.

Cons

New management changed procedures and direction became a little muddled. Managemnt did not seem to want input from workers when decisions were made.

Advice to Management

Management needs to include input from employees on the job when changes are contemplated.

6. GA-ASI

Current Employee - UAV Systems Specialist in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - UAV Systems Specialist in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with a vast variety of personnel to provide the customers with the best product available. No tied to the office, with flexible work environment.

Cons

It is called a job for a reason. Communication between departments needs to be improved.

Advice to Management

Employee retention could be enhanced by providing better career goals and counseling.

10+ yrs in Engineering with no regrets, yet GA-ASI's future success is not guaranteed

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- variety of technical challenges & opportunities - company's mission & products are meaningful - strong performing employees are generally recognized & rewarded - meaningful work: I can reflect on my time at the company and easily identify many ways that I personally have added value to the company & its products - the Predator family of remotely-operated aircraft systems is a really cool product and awesome to be a part of! - amazing learning opportunities from many leaders who are responsible for the company's success this far - easy to move around within the company to pursue growth opportunities

Cons

- despite significant growth over the past decade, many elements within the company continue to resist *growing up* to a level of maturity that should be expected of an organization this size - the company's limited budget for annual raises over the past ~5 years causes the average employee's compensation to fall behind market value within a few years unless the employee or his/her manager takes specific action to maintain equity - persistence of small-company behavior: e.g. senior executives remain too involved in detailed design decisions, rather than establishing clear requirements and empowering the design teams to achieve them - mediocre process definition / implementation / consistency: too much reinventing the wheel - company is struggling with recent enterprise-wide MRP software change to SAP

Advice to Management

To ensure another 20+ years of GA-ASI's success, you must proactively develop and empower the next generation of leaders. Specifically, Engineering leadership -- especially VPs & Directors -- need to focus more on developing and empowering cohesive teams of highly capable people, and less on being personally involved in the technical details of the company's current/future products. We also must continue innovating while molding our legacy culture into a long-term sustainable business.

Department Specialist

Current Employee - Department Specialist III in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Department Specialist III in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at General Atomics (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, stable job, good people

Cons

The larger the company becomes the less they seem to care about keeping their employees happy

Advice to Management

Don't lose focus on your employees.

Good benefits, not much growth.

Current Employee - Training Developer
    Current Employee - Training Developer

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All around good work environment, resources and materials are available to get your job done. We get every other Friday off, but be prepared to work long hours. Overtime is available for those who are hourly. 401k and pension available. Don't be afraid to ask what you deserve.

Cons

This is a matrix organization. This means if you are an intelligent and bright-eyed employee, it may take a very long time to get to the top. Usually the worst employees are the most aggressive in getting what they want.

Advice to Management

Take the time to know your employees and see what they do. Too many people are getting away with murder, while hard-workers get left in the dust. In other words, reviews SHOULD be based on success and accomplishments. My experience so far is that employees who are not "in their range of appropriate salary" get a very good review in order to give them a raise, leaving the people who work their tail off, without raises. Bring people in at what they deserve so that people like me don't feel under-appreciated.

Great for stability, but terribly overworked w/No incentive

Former Employee - Human Resources in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology Corporate Perks and retirement plans Co-workers were fun and made great friends Good company to put on your resume

Cons

Growth is very limited. No training programs for employee development, and the positions are very specialized - once you're in a position, you're pretty much stuck. When there is a position open, an external applicant has always been chosen over promoting from within. Very demotivating. Management will always ask you what your career goals are during the interview and during reviews so you'll think there is hope, but nothing ever comes out of it. Compensation is minimal for the amount of work you are expected to do. Especially for the worker bees who are rewarded a lot less, but are constantly stressed out to make other people look good. Employee morale doesn't seem to be a priority because there is always a line of people wanting to work at GA. If you're coasting to retirement, this is a good fit for you. Otherwise, don't expect any promotions and minimal pay increases in this department.

11. Avionics Tech

Former Employee - Avionics Field Service Representative in El Monte, CA
    Former Employee - Avionics Field Service Representative in El Monte, CA

I worked at General Atomics (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to for deployment overseas

Cons

Lowest base pay in the industry

RSS Feed </> Embed