General Atomics Reviews

Reset
5.0
General Atomics Chairman and CEO Neal Blue
Neal Blue

Pros
  • Great benefits and lots of jobs (in 10 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule for most employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor upper management, unqualified (in 3 reviews)

1. GA-ASI

Current Employee - UAV Systems Specialist in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - UAV Systems Specialist in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with a vast variety of personnel to provide the customers with the best product available. No tied to the office, with flexible work environment.

Cons

It is called a job for a reason. Communication between departments needs to be improved.

Advice to Management

Employee retention could be enhanced by providing better career goals and counseling.

2. title

Current Employee - Engineer III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time

Pros

Cool high tech projects, great location, autonomous & unstructured work environment, tons of opporunities to learn

Cons

Sometimes you get yanked from project to project, depending on which contracts are hot. Also there are inefficiencies in procurement and subcontracts that can be frustrating when you are trying to make things happen

Advice to Management

Focus more on dedicating overhead funds to training and developing your existing employees. Re-evaluate your employee evaluation and incentive scheme.

3. Great challenge - Great career

Current Employee - Field Avionics Technician in China Lake, CA
    Current Employee - Field Avionics Technician in China Lake, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Daily challenges keep the job far from monotonous. The technology is interesting. Your fellow technicians are good and keep a good group effort atmosphere.

Cons

Health benefits are terrible for my area. Because they are not accepted in this area. Human resources kind of strings you along on these issues. Human resources doesnt respond to all emails. The initial training phase was a very difficult process learning the way you have to work. At first everything feels arduous and pointless but after a while you start to understand why you have to be so precise and careful when working on the aircraft.

Advice to Management

Good work. Fix health benefits for the "remote" locations please.

5. Solid Engineering Company

Former Contractor - Staff Engineer in Los Alamos, NM
    Former Contractor - Staff Engineer in Los Alamos, NM

I worked at General Atomics as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, not heavily micro-managed for a large company, good team environment, fair and honest management, quality staff members and workers.

Cons

The amount of paperwork to get even small tasks done was a bit too much. You literally needed to write a memo to write a report.

Advice to Management

Cut back on the needless paperwork and streamline the system more. There is a lot of waste in both time and money that can be saved.

6. Great Company to Work For

I worked at General Atomics full-time

Pros

*9/80 schedule *Brilliant engineers *Stable *Good benefits *Dedication to quality and excellence *All around great product and a good company to work for

Cons

*Could use more employee engagement programs

7. Excellent Career Move

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I worked at General Atomics full-time

Pros

One of the leading technology companies in America. They are committed to developing or improving technologies that can truly benefit their customers. They provided me with a lot of freedom to build my career and work projects in a way that best-suited my talents. They are also family oriented, my time with my family was valued here and they did a lot to make sure my personal life balanced out my work life. They have excellent benefits and are one of the few companies left that provides a true pension fund.

Cons

Not too many detractors working here. Short term military contracts make for a continually shifting future, but also provide a lot of opportunities.

Advice to Management

Spend more time working with individuals on a personal level. Take the time to interview employees for new positions within the company and match personality and desire with the position more than just seniority.

General Atomics Response

Jun 11, 2015 – System Administrator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review about your experience with General Atomics and affiliated companies.

Great Company that does good things!

Current Employee - Management in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Palmdale, CA

I have been working at General Atomics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company that looks out for their employees. I would compare it to the military without having to sign a contract and put on a uniform. Veteran friendly.

Cons

Company is growing so rapidly that some jobs/responsibilities are forgotten or overlooked. Communicating effectively across the matrix can be difficult.

Advice to Management

When the need for change is identified, communicate with cross sectional teams, from many departments and locations, to ensure the problem/issues/changes will be well received at all levels and locations.

9. Great Tech Company

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Agile management, open doors, 9/80 workweeks (some locations) emphasis on unmet US needs and willingness to invest.

Cons

Growing pains in management, some departmental competition and blurred lines, agile management.

Advice to Management

Value transparency and open competition for management positions and influence.

10. Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Poway, CA

I have been working at General Atomics (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is excited about what we are doing. We have great products. Love working the 9/80 schedule. Interesting work and lots of it.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Great company if you like to travel

Former Employee - Field Technician in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Field Technician in Palmdale, CA

I worked at General Atomics full-time

Pros

Excellent field if you are new to drines Excellent pay and you get to see the world if you like to travel

Cons

Hard on families because of the travel. Benefits were ok but Im sure that applies to most other companiesl

Advice to Management

Most of your talented employees have families. Come up with a rotational schedule that gets them home more often and you'll keep your talent.

RSS Feed </> Embed