General Cable

2.9

General Cable President, CEO, and Director Gregory B. Kenny
Gregory B. Kenny

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Such a great experience working with this Fortune 500 Company - would not think of leaving!

Current Employee - Associate in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

General Cable has always been kind to me and given me many opportunities to learn and grow within the company. The company has invested thousands of dollars in my development with industry training. They just instituted an awesome vacation purchasing program where we can buy up to an additional week of vacation and the medical, dental and life insurance benefits are fantastic!

Cons

In every company there are politics the higher up the ranks you go. One of the biggest challenges is the company's matrix organization where you may report directly to a manager but have several dotted line managers. Everyone has their own agenda and none of the managers talk to each other, so you can be pulled in a lot of direction. To be successful, you really have to be flexible and patient. But the work is engaging and keeps you challenged every single day. Every day is a learning experience!

Better communication to all levels of the company.

very professional folks - great environment - positive, professional attitudes, contemporary philosophies, practices

Current Employee - Software Developer in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

top notch people, methodologies...relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

haven't really found any as yet

keep doing what you're doing !

Inner circle focused

Current Employee - Manager in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great employees to work with

Cons

-Upper management promotions are decided from above and not on fairness basis
    -Low pay compared with competitors and other companies, unless you are in upper management
    -Career advancements are limited in middle management positions
    -Not transparent when it come to salary levels.

Open up the floor to all candidates to compete for a specific job.

Political and boys club

Current Employee - Finance in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Current Employee - Finance in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Focused on wellness and employee health. Nice decor and on site amenities (ie. gym, cafeteria,copy center). Recent acquisitions and smart global growth provide opportunities and stability in organization. Upper management attempts to be accessible through HR coordinated lunch and learn sessions.

Cons

Business platform is still on a AS400 green screen platform. Women have no upper mobility, a complete boys club and virtually no women in senior leadership. Leaders influence others by flexing their muscles and bullying. The HR department has constant turnover and never seems to follow through on commitments to the organization. There is no flexibility, my manager has an issue if I attend onsite events in their opinion too long, I have no autonomy.

Look at systems and take a look at whether a green screen business platform is adequate for a Fortune 500 company. There is not financial reporting capability for accountability of departments. If you want to retain the talent in your workforce invest in employee training and enforce the review and development process to identify opportunities for all employees. Also with the younger generation coming in, get creative with work/life balance. Salary increases are not consistent in all departments and who knows when I will get an increase as the timing changes and sometimes I don't get an increase for nearly 18 months, 16 months, etc. just to get a meager 2-3%.

O

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Technician in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat of a flexible schedule, mostly friendly people, constant contact and updates from upper management on the business, acceptable benefits, good on-site training, adequate pay. Upper management has been hitting a lot of home runs with acquisitions, and has a good eye on both the present and future in regards to the overall health of the company.

Cons

Only two weeks vacation for first five years of career with company, lots of turnover in the HR department, HR is not an advocate for perks like tuition reimbursement (the main negative is some managers mislead applicants to think this is not the case), the raise and bonus situation is far too arbitrary, depending on the department one works in.

General Cable Corp. brings in billions of dollars a year, yet has hidden their collective wallet when it comes to adult continuing education opportunities. Your big failing as a company is not developing the talent you have on hand. Please stop disguising a cost of living increase as a "raise."

Competitive pay, evolving culture

Current Employee - Manager in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is competitive, and they are trying to change the culture to improve employee satisfaction. They are becoming more global, giving associates access to those kinds of experiences.

Cons

It is a relatively select few who get meaningful promotions. Personality and relationships are the primary factors determining upward mobility.

To take the company to the next level of employee satisfaction, there needs to be access to the inner circle of the organization. A start would be more short term assignments, rotations, and promotion at middle and lower levels. It is time to take an honest look at who is performing and promotable.

Typical Corporate America

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Highland Heights, KY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Highland Heights, KY

I worked at General Cable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great training for Sales Professionals
    - Nice Gym
    - Nice cafeteria and dietary selection
    - Good career growth potential for business professionals and engineers mainly (other professionals are less respected and lacking growth potential)

Cons

- Lack of growth potential for non-business or engineering professionals
    - Growth opportunities are consistent with typical corporate politics
    - Many employee's endorse symptoms of burnout due high work volume

Hire more employee's to reduce the stress of high work volume; Provide more opportunity for educational advancements outside of the "business only" typecast that will ultimately bring diverse utility and functional growth to the organization - other corporations with a "world wide footprint" do this and thrive for a reason.

Accountant

Current Employee - Accountant in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Accountant in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Schedules are flexible. Focused on Health

Cons

Workloads are not evenly dispersed. Pay isn't compatible to work loads.

Not part of the "IN" crowd

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable

Pros

-Intelligent, hardworking coworkers who are always willing to assist others
    -Opportunities for training, both internally and externally
    -Cafeteria onsite with fairly inexpensive, good quality food

Cons

-Excessive politics
    -Lack of opportunity for advancement in many career paths
    -Employees' best interests are always secondary to that of shareholders

Many managers need improved training on how to adequately manage people. Advanced degrees do not equate with having good communication skills.

It's a job.

Current Employee - Financial Systems Manager in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Current Employee - Financial Systems Manager in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

Base salary level was decent, but rest of compensation package was inferior. Most of my fellow employees were very nice, and I miss them.

Cons

I took the job with General Cable while employed for a very decent large company, due to the salary differential. It was a poor decision on my part..I should have stayed with the other employer. While the base salary was a lot better at General Cable, the bonus and benefits at the larger company made up for the difference.

My manager was very critical and was keeping a list of every possible shortcoming or mistake that I made. Some were trivial and it was asinine to even mention them. For instance, I was off by .06 cents on an expense report due to poor printing on a restaurant's receipt.

His goals were way too ambitious and he ignored my counsel on realistic timetables. I believe this was his interpretation of the Lean concepts of the company...set unrealistic goals and force the worker to meet them, or else.

He also didn't have the spine to say no to internal customers, or to manage expectations effectively. Part of the issues stemmed from a lack of centralized direction and control. Subsidiariies were guiding management rather than management guiding the subsidiaries. Basically, the tail was wagging the dog, and it is hard to plan activities when this is the case.

Also, I knew I was being paid much better than my peers, and that created some strain.

I was released for failing to meet management's expectations. In reality, I was waiting for the economy to get better so that I could find another job more easily. Unfortunately I waited too long and they let me go. I imagine my salary was an attractive one to eliminate.

I would encourage potential employees to examine the health package and other benefits carefully before accepting a position, and decide whether any increase in base pay is worth the pressure that will be placed on you. You may be trading short term gains for long term benefits.

Provide rudimentary training to managers who are dealing with people. Monitor their performance. Gauge whether they are capable of dealing with employees. Work on centralized control of the company.