General Cable

Be The First To
Add Photos

General Cable President, CEO, and Director Gregory B. Kenny

Gregory B. Kenny

Such a great experience working with this Fortune 500 Company - would not think of leaving!

Associate (Current Employee) Highland Heights, KY

ProsGeneral Cable has always been kind to me and given me many opportunities to learn and grow within the company. The company has invested thousands of dollars in my development with industry training. They just instituted an awesome vacation purchasing program where we can buy up to an additional week of vacation and the medical, dental and life insurance benefits are fantastic!

ConsIn every company there are politics the higher up the ranks you go. One of the biggest challenges is the company's matrix organization where you may report directly to a manager but have several dotted line managers. Everyone has their own agenda and none of the managers talk to each other, so you can be pulled in a lot of direction. To be successful, you really have to be flexible and patient. But the work is engaging and keeps you challenged every single day. Every day is a learning experience!

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication to all levels of the company.

Great potential - all depends on your boss

Proslots of global opportunities, opportunities to be promoted if you have a good boss.

ConsPoor boss can hinder possibiltities - all depends on which region you are in.
    North america, well run. Latam - poorly run. Europe - very political (like NA)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to compensate well and keep high potential employees advancing. Too many good people leave because they arent promoted as they deserve.

Just like working for a 3rd world banana republic

Manager (Former Employee) Doral, FL

ProsIf you are Latin American, you will be very comfortable in this environment. Benefits are OK, but definitely not industry leading.

ConsLack of a centralized IT department causes complete dysfunction in IT operations. Companies that were acquired through acquisition or merger still operate like independent businesses, not a single company. Company has 15-20 disparate ERP systems in use, rather than a single global ERP.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate IT into global structure. When new companies are acquired, make sure that they operate as a corporate entity, not a separate company. Run the company like a Fortune 500 company should be, not like a little mom-and-pop shop. Move to a single ERP instead of the 15-20 that exist worldwide.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Feels like you are working for a third-world banana republic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are or Latin American original, you will be very comfortable in this environment (Doral, FL). Benefits are OK, but definitely not industry leading.

ConsLack of a centralized IT department and an overall IT leader causes complete dysfunction in IT operations. Companies that were acquired through acquisition or merger still operate like independent businesses, not a single company. Company has 15-20 disparate ERP systems in use, rather than a single global ERP.

High energy, fast pace environment, well suited for make or break individuals.

Engineering (Current Employee)

ProsEach day can yield a different challenge, there is no getting bored here. Business outlook and performance is steadily on the up. Opportunities exist for those that have the stamina and work ethic.

ConsAs with any large corporation, there are several layers spread throughout. Communication/alignment is not always ideal.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication and support between business units could be better. We spend a lot of time working on projects that others internally can offer support.

Common courtesy....... NOT

ProsWould live to work there , heard ALOT of really great things regarding the plant.

ConsInterviews in duquoin il . They do not even have the decency to say " sorry, you are not a fit for our plant"

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some standards into place

It has been pretty rewarding...

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Doral, FL

ProsThe job offers great benefits and the senior staff are incredibly nice and polite.

ConsThe hours are a little longer than I would like at some points, but otherwise, it is pretty nice.

Great place to work!

ProsGreat benefits and job opportunities

ConsNo downsides that I saw

very professional folks - great environment - positive, professional attitudes, contemporary philosophies, practices

Software Developer (Current Employee) Highland Heights, KY

Prostop notch people, methodologies...relaxed atmosphere.

Conshaven't really found any as yet

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you're doing !

excellent company for interns

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-laid back, friendly environment
    -generous benefits for management employees

Cons-disorganization in management
    -unfriendly operators
    -no support to make decisions

Worked for General Cable? Contribute to the Community!