General Cable

Updated February 21, 2015
2.9

General Cable President, CEO, and Director Gregory B. Kenny
Gregory B. Kenny

Pros
  • good benefits and nice peoples to work with (in 4 reviews)

• The job offers great benefits and the senior staff are incredibly nice and polite (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you are a favorite of upper management, be ready to stay at your current employment level forever (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of a centralized IT department causes complete dysfunction in IT operations (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company with challenging management

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable

Pros

Aggressive style and management challenges your performance. Fair benefits and salary.

Cons

Matrix organization can set departments against each other

Continued focus on developing internal talent

Good company to work for but internal politics can be an issue.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, chances to cross train in other departments, management treats you very well.

Cons

No accountability so if if your coworkers don't do their jobs it gets passed off on you, it's a union job so they defend lazy slackers just as much as hard workers. Everything comes down to money in the last couple of years.

Make people accountable for their work and remind them that they work for you not the other way around.

Good environment to intern, poor planning of projects

Former Intern - Co-Op in Franklin, MA
    Former Intern - Co-Op in Franklin, MA

I worked at General Cable as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, everyone willing to help teach the fundamentals of the job
    Allowed freedom to create projects as an intern

Cons

Not always support on projects, for various reasons:
    -Not enough manpower to spare people for support
    -Tight production schedule, unable to stop to make adjustments
    -New methods met with resistance as workers had grown accustom to current methods

Better plan for co-ops, actually create project teams instead of talking about it

Disorganized company

I worked at General Cable

Pros

I can't think of any other than they do employe people and give them a pay check.

Cons

Poor communication within company.
    Great at buying companies very poor at growing employees or fostering a healthy work environment.
    Czarist mentality.
    Very poor customer service.

Best place for creative and happy minds

Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open culture, lot of opportunities for creativity and innovation. In real world many times brilliant and ambitious people don’t get chances to prove their ability, even in many top companies. If you are talented, hungry to innovate, have ideas for cost management, want to see your dream as commercial product, come here and have fun. I have come across few passionate tech's at early 20's, enjoying the technology learnings here. Work - life balance: Working hours 8 to 4.30, rest all your time, honestly human cannot work 8hrs
    continuously, so have coffee, lunch, chat and work...

Cons

Very competitive business, much depend on market dynamics and environments, as like all other typical manufacturing industries.

Terrible pay - Join for the Six Sigma experience and leave

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

I sure can't think of any. The only thing you'll get out of working here is a Six Sigma Blackbelt or Greenbelt before you leave.

Cons

The pay is terrible, what they will offer you is well below the regional median salary. The company is run by management that doesn't have a clue, and everything is metric driven to the point that people are frequently at each other's throats.

Sell the company. You don't know how to run it.

This company acquires other companies without having a full understanding of the marketplace

Current Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They pay basic market value. The coporate culture educates all employeesto follow proper ethics on and off work.

Cons

They acquire other companies and do not adjust their pricing or inventory structure to meet market needs. Thus what was once established market share with those products quickly diminishes. .

Follow ouside sales feedback more closely to better understand what products to keep in inventory.

A good place to work while you passively search for something better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people I have seen come and go have become really good friends, excellent resources. The company does attract highly talented individuals but tends to have high turnover.
    The autonomy is nice, you organize your own priorities. Some bosses are great, depends on where you land.
    Gym & cafeteria.

Cons

Perks? None. Compensation? Below average to average. Promotions? Only the few in the fold.

The company wastes money. If the shareholders only knew. Equipment that doesn't work, man hours spent on projects that go nowhere, excess trips (ex. multiple associates to one plant, multiple associates to baseball games) during a time we fire so many people and are doing feasibility studies to decide which NA plant to close? Yet you worry about my work lunch?
    There is a skills/profile in our files of which no one pays attention. There have been job openings (of course), for many positions which I am highly qualified. This skills/profile is a development program we do every year, that no one really utilizes when filling positions. Such a waste to spend time on.

Listen.

This parachute is a knapsack!

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hypocrisy is in-your-face obvious. The company is not "Lean" and is not "Wired as One", but both phrases look real nice on paper. The incompetent leadership failed us and we had to let 1,000 associates find new jobs. The thinking is as follows: Leadership makes mistakes and grows the company too fast, the greed backfires, stock drops, shareholders get surly, then we fire 1,000 associates that had nothing to do with the decisions to put us in the bad position to begin with. Mind you, these 1,000 associates DID put us in a position that we could make such acquisitions. The "Wired as One" lie would mean that we ALL take the hit and suffer together rather than fire 1,000 people who don't sit in offices deciding everyone else's fate. As a matter of fact, if a regular, non-management associate made decisions that had such a negative impact, they would be terminated. But our current management lumps their short-comings in with the increasing price of copper and of course, their hands are perfectly clean. You are management - you are suppose to have provisions in place for copper - after all WE ARE A COPPER DEPENDENT company.

Pros: Good quality construction for almost any application imaginable in the wire and cable industry.

Cons

Too many to mention. I am sure the language would be NSFW.

Retire. You are affecting more than just your own personal interests. Top five US people, go, peace be with you. But please, go.

Good Company to work for, good benefits and well treated.

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

Gain good experience, relatively stable company

Cons

Too much favoritism. Only a small portion of the employees get a promotion and are placed on fast tracked for promotion.