General Cable

Gregory B. Kenny

Had a great experience

Current Employee - Financial Intern  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Financial Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at General Cable as an intern for less than a year

Pros

friendly and helpful employees, good company values, nice facility

Cons

different departments don't seem to work together

This company acquires other companies without having a full understanding of the marketplace

Current Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at General Cable full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They pay basic market value. The coporate culture educates all employeesto follow proper ethics on and off work.

Cons

They acquire other companies and do not adjust their pricing or inventory structure to meet market needs. Thus what was once established market share with those products quickly diminishes. .

Follow ouside sales feedback more closely to better understand what products to keep in inventory.

This parachute is a knapsack!

I have been working at General Cable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hypocrisy is in-your-face obvious. The company is not "Lean" and is not "Wired as One", but both phrases look real nice on paper. The incompetent leadership failed us and we had to let 1,000 associates find new jobs. The thinking is as follows: Leadership makes mistakes and grows the company too fast, the greed backfires, stock drops, shareholders get surly, then we fire 1,000 associates that had nothing to do with the decisions to put us in the bad position to begin with. Mind you, these 1,000 associates DID put us in a position that we could make such acquisitions. The "Wired as One" lie would mean that we ALL take the hit and suffer together rather than fire 1,000 people who don't sit in offices deciding everyone else's fate. As a matter of fact, if a regular, non-management associate made decisions that had such a negative impact, they would be terminated. But our current management lumps their short-comings in with the increasing price of copper and of course, their hands are perfectly clean. You are management - you are suppose to have provisions in place for copper - after all WE ARE A COPPER DEPENDENT company.

Pros: Good quality construction for almost any application imaginable in the wire and cable industry.

Cons

Too many to mention. I am sure the language would be NSFW.

Retire. You are affecting more than just your own personal interests. Top five US people, go, peace be with you. But please, go.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company to work for, good benefits and well treated.

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

Gain good experience, relatively stable company

Cons

Too much favoritism. Only a small portion of the employees get a promotion and are placed on fast tracked for promotion.

Great potential - all depends on your boss

I have been working at General Cable full-time

Pros

lots of global opportunities, opportunities to be promoted if you have a good boss.

Cons

Poor boss can hinder possibiltities - all depends on which region you are in.
    North america, well run. Latam - poorly run. Europe - very political (like NA)

Make sure to compensate well and keep high potential employees advancing. Too many good people leave because they arent promoted as they deserve.

Such a great experience working with this Fortune 500 Company - would not think of leaving!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

General Cable has always been kind to me and given me many opportunities to learn and grow within the company. The company has invested thousands of dollars in my development with industry training. They just instituted an awesome vacation purchasing program where we can buy up to an additional week of vacation and the medical, dental and life insurance benefits are fantastic!

Cons

In every company there are politics the higher up the ranks you go. One of the biggest challenges is the company's matrix organization where you may report directly to a manager but have several dotted line managers. Everyone has their own agenda and none of the managers talk to each other, so you can be pulled in a lot of direction. To be successful, you really have to be flexible and patient. But the work is engaging and keeps you challenged every single day. Every day is a learning experience!

Better communication to all levels of the company.

Just like working for a 3rd world banana republic

Former Employee - Manager  in  Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Doral, FL

I worked at General Cable full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are Latin American, you will be very comfortable in this environment. Benefits are OK, but definitely not industry leading.

Cons

Lack of a centralized IT department causes complete dysfunction in IT operations. Companies that were acquired through acquisition or merger still operate like independent businesses, not a single company. Company has 15-20 disparate ERP systems in use, rather than a single global ERP.

Integrate IT into global structure. When new companies are acquired, make sure that they operate as a corporate entity, not a separate company. Run the company like a Fortune 500 company should be, not like a little mom-and-pop shop. Move to a single ERP instead of the 15-20 that exist worldwide.

Feels like you are working for a third-world banana republic

I worked at General Cable full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are or Latin American original, you will be very comfortable in this environment (Doral, FL). Benefits are OK, but definitely not industry leading.

Cons

Lack of a centralized IT department and an overall IT leader causes complete dysfunction in IT operations. Companies that were acquired through acquisition or merger still operate like independent businesses, not a single company. Company has 15-20 disparate ERP systems in use, rather than a single global ERP.

High energy, fast pace environment, well suited for make or break individuals.

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at General Cable full-time

Pros

Each day can yield a different challenge, there is no getting bored here. Business outlook and performance is steadily on the up. Opportunities exist for those that have the stamina and work ethic.

Cons

As with any large corporation, there are several layers spread throughout. Communication/alignment is not always ideal.

Communication and support between business units could be better. We spend a lot of time working on projects that others internally can offer support.

Common courtesy....... NOT

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

Would live to work there , heard ALOT of really great things regarding the plant.

Cons

Interviews in duquoin il . They do not even have the decency to say " sorry, you are not a fit for our plant"

Put some standards into place

Worked for General Cable? Contribute to the Community!