General Cable

Gregory B. Kenny

Had a great experience

Current Employee - Financial Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Financial Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at General Cable as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

friendly and helpful employees, good company values, nice facility

Cons

different departments don't seem to work together

A good place to work while you passively search for something better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people I have seen come and go have become really good friends, excellent resources. The company does attract highly talented individuals but tends to have high turnover.
    The autonomy is nice, you organize your own priorities. Some bosses are great, depends on where you land.
    Gym & cafeteria.

Cons

Perks? None. Compensation? Below average to average. Promotions? Only the few in the fold.

The company wastes money. If the shareholders only knew. Equipment that doesn't work, man hours spent on projects that go nowhere, excess trips (ex. multiple associates to one plant, multiple associates to baseball games) during a time we fire so many people and are doing feasibility studies to decide which NA plant to close? Yet you worry about my work lunch?
    There is a skills/profile in our files of which no one pays attention. There have been job openings (of course), for many positions which I am highly qualified. This skills/profile is a development program we do every year, that no one really utilizes when filling positions. Such a waste to spend time on.

Listen.

This company acquires other companies without having a full understanding of the marketplace

Current Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They pay basic market value. The coporate culture educates all employeesto follow proper ethics on and off work.

Cons

They acquire other companies and do not adjust their pricing or inventory structure to meet market needs. Thus what was once established market share with those products quickly diminishes. .

Follow ouside sales feedback more closely to better understand what products to keep in inventory.

An honest review.

Former Employee - 2014 in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - 2014 in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at General Cable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the sake of this review, I will post the only pro I can think of. The work is not boring. It is very busy and informative. Other than that, there is nothing else. The rest of this review will be addressing General Cable's shortcomings, specifically at the Indianapolis Technology Center. Grab a bag a coke and some chips. You're going to be here for a while.

Cons

I have not been at a loss for words many times in my adult life, but working for General Cable has legitimately rendered me speechless. I am so speechless in fact, that I have no idea where to even begin this review. I will do my best to keep things as specific as I'm allowed to.

1. First and foremost, the Indianapolis Technology Center is absolutely plagued with favoritism. I use the word "plagued" because that is precisely what I mean. The entire building is drowning in it. It is a sickness that affects everyone employed. Unless you are a favorite of upper management, be ready to stay at your current employment level forever. The favoritism is the most evident on the laboratory technician team, which just so happens to be the most important team in the building. The management team has two or three people on a "favorites" list, several of which tower above all the rest. They can do absolutely no wrong in the eyes of management, which makes for a very stressful work environment because they parade this "power" over everyone's head. Here's a true story. This actually happened in an R&D laboratory that calls themselves "Lean." A test was being conducted that required rubber material to be burned with a Bunsen burner in order to record results. Because appropriate PPE was not worn, a burn to the hand resulted. What happened next staggered all of us. Rather than stepping up to reprimand anyone involved, management held a meeting in which we "reconfigured" the JSP (Job Safety Protocol) to cover up the lack of regard for company policy. No one was held responsible. Instead, management blamed the JSP because it wasn't "specific enough." I may not be a rocket scientist, but if you need to be told in writing to wear heat-resistant gloves when you're using a bunsen burner, perhaps you need to find a different line of work. Some are also allowed to carry and answer personal calls on a cell phone any time, including during important company meetings; an act that the rest of us are publicly scolded for. It's not just personal calls either. Business calls are also received on the same cell phones rather than using company phones for company business. How is this even allowed? General Cable business should be conducted on General Cable time and with General Cable property.

2. Management does not manage by any definition of the word. All of upper management is just awful at conflict resolution because they'd like nothing more than to just avoid it altogether. Because of this, veteran associates are allowed to scream and holler curse words down hallways and in the faces of other associates with little consequence. At one point there was an altercation between two associates. Actually, it wasn't between two associates, it was a one-sided profane screaming match from one associate to another. One associate of more than 20 years at the company was allowed to scream at another veteran associate of 20 years for something menial and trivial. All that resulted, to my knowledge, was a quick two-day suspension and a slap on the hand. Following shortly behind this example is a slightly more deplorable act of defiance. Personal property was belligerently defaced without the victim's knowledge. Pictures of family had scratches through the faces. Again, no real management resulted from this. HR held two separate "No harassment" meetings, one for the technologists and technicians, and the other for the engineers. The topic of this meeting can be summarized into one short phrase: "Guys, don't harass each other okay? Thanks." Prior to this, someone had written a vulgar reference to someone being a homosexual on the paper towel dispenser in the men's restroom. Management sent out an email saying such vandalism was punishable by termination. So wait just a minute.... Writing the three letter G-word for homosexual is punishable by termination, but scratching out the face of someone on a picture of their family isn't? Good to know where General Cable's priorities are.

3. You think you've heard all manner of cursing? You haven't heard anything yet. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying either. I'm no saint when it comes to my language, but I have enough sense to know when and where such language is tolerated. Apparently General Cable tolerates all kinds of language all the time. I understand that all businesses have some manner of cursing, but hearing this degree go unpunished is something that I cannot ignore. Not only was the profanity pervasive and disgusting, it was downright sacrilegious. I don't think I've ever heard more G-D's in my entire life of working. Regardless of your religious affiliation, this should not be acceptable. If you're going to threaten to fire people for writing demeaning homosexual remarks in the bathroom, you should be threatening to fire people for derogatory religious remarks too. That's called being fair and even, in case you've forgotten that. G-D may not offend many, but it does offend some, especially when it's multiple times everyday.

4. General Cable may say they "promote from within," but they absolutely do not. This goes directly back to point number one. Unless you're a favorite, forget about promotions. General Cable is notorious for hiring based on personal feelings rather than work experience. In my time at the Indianapolis Technology Center, I have seen all manner of neglect and wrongful lay-offs. They are consistently good at taking people with less experience over those who have put in their due time and deserve permanent employment. It is beyond sickening to watch temp employees get passed over time and time again, especially when a lesser experienced temp is wrongfully chosen for the next open permanent spot. If a temporary associate spends years working hard for you, kicking them out on the street in favor of an outside hire or someone with less experience is the ultimate insult. Either give all of your temps a shot, or stop promising them full-time spots.

5. The company values speak of equally sharing all knowledge among employees. I can tell you first hand, that does not happen. Knowledge is hoarded for job security. Tools for valuable, useful machinery are locked up by people with no authority whatsoever. There are pieces of equipment in that building that only one or two people know how to operate. When service requests are submitted and cannot be completed because your technicians aren't trained properly, that's a huge problem. All technicians should be trained on all pieces of equipment that don't require a license to run. Period.

6. Feather-in-the-hat mentalities run rampant. A majority of people that worked at ITC were just looking for another feather to stick in their hat. No matter how small or large the opportunity was to toss someone to the wolves, these people took it. They would gripe and moan constantly to management about how people weren't wearing the appropriate PPE, while they themselves were also guilty of it. If you're going to toss people under the bus, you might want to make sure you're not also guilty of what you're pompously accusing other people of.

I should probably leave it at six vivid points, even though I could make this pages long with all of the offenses I saw go down in that place everyday. To say that work environment was dysfunctional wouldn't even begin to cover it. Management needs to be rotated around so that favoritism will cease. Until the favoritism is non-existent, even promotions will be non-existent as well.

First of all, I'll address the corporate management in Highland Heights. Stop using the lower-rung associates as scapegoats when your constant acquisitions of other companies comes back to bite you. Why should 1000 innocent people nationwide have to take the fall for your bad decisions? If you want people to take the phrase "Wired-as-one" seriously at all, firing people at the bottom isn't the answer. "Wired-as-one" would suggest that we are indeed one. If that's the case, why did 1000 people pay the price for your incompetency? "Wired-as-one would suggest that the entire company takes the hit across the board. Maybe you should consider changing it to "Wired-as-1000" since those people who gave their jobs are the reason you're still in business. Maybe HQ might also care to elaborate on the lie told by the North American CEO. He stood up in a teleconference and told all locations that General Cable was "in good standings," and then mere weeks later 1000 men and women are losing their jobs. We aren't that dense, you know. Just because General Cable sits on the fortune 500 list doesn't give her upper management the right to tell bald-faced lies. Either the company is in good standings or it isn't. Which one is it?

To management at the Indianapolis Technology Center: Learn how to manage, plain and simple. Handling conflict resolution is a part of your job. If you can't handle it, find someone who can. Also, stop playing favorites. You can read this and deny it all you want, but again, we are not blind. We know who gets special treatment and who doesn't. After unjustly letting go of a contractor with more than two years experience in favor of someone with far less experience, you cannot tell me you know how to properly manage people. Your technicians are aware of the special treatment, too. Everyone knows who the golden child is none of them are okay with it.

So in closing, management at ITC needs to wake up. Things do not get better by playing favorites, ignoring larger issues, or sweeping things under the rug. ITC is in need of a serious management change, and until that happens, I suggest you send your resumes elsewhere.

Interesting work but there is a culture of playing favorites and heavy politics.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at General Cable part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros? A steady paycheck.
    The industry is interesting.
    I've made a few friends in my short time there, and we stay in touch.

Cons

Pay is not industry leading, unless you are one of the favorites. Your direct supervisor has way too much influence over your career so you cannot really decide your own future (unless you're a pet). HR has no experience and it shows. The benefits are shrinking.

From my own personal experience, they give job interviews as a formality. They know who they are hiring or promoting prior to posting a position. They make it obvious too. Waste of people's time.

The director had three associates over to his house last summer. Not as guests, but to do yard work. He has not asked them to come over since. Guess why? Because he doesn't need the manual labor. These are facts.

I witnessed an ETP (essentially a new engineer in training), babysitting for HR at the movies, etc. On more than one occasion. This is a conflict of interest and bad judgement on HR's part. We do not know if the ETP was coerced, or felt in fear of losing his job if he didn't babysit, or if he simply chose to do it. No one will truly ever know. There were two ETPs at the time so it's easy to determine which one was held in higher favor. HR's lack of respect for privacy is out of control. I shouldn't have known other associate's personal business unless those associates chose to share. I wasn't in payroll so I shouldn't know their salaries either, but I did. This was all openly discussed in front of me.

The favoritism is bad. The company is not "Lean" at all. The company presents an illusion to the customers that it runs like a well-oiled machine but in reality it's all smoke and mirrors. The "Leadership Group" - what they like to call themselves, never hold themselves accountable. This is not how you lead.

Managers let their egos get the best of them, poor decisions abound. For example: It would not be "Lean" to pay an outside contractor 40k to do something I have done in my sleep. This happened while I was there. Yet, they claim to be "Lean". Such a waste of money, I can have no part of it. I hear GC isn't doing well, letting 1,000 people go. I wonder why.

Hire new HR staff, definitely rotate managers. This will reduce favoritism. Implement "Lean" culture.

This parachute is a knapsack!

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hypocrisy is in-your-face obvious. The company is not "Lean" and is not "Wired as One", but both phrases look real nice on paper. The incompetent leadership failed us and we had to let 1,000 associates find new jobs. The thinking is as follows: Leadership makes mistakes and grows the company too fast, the greed backfires, stock drops, shareholders get surly, then we fire 1,000 associates that had nothing to do with the decisions to put us in the bad position to begin with. Mind you, these 1,000 associates DID put us in a position that we could make such acquisitions. The "Wired as One" lie would mean that we ALL take the hit and suffer together rather than fire 1,000 people who don't sit in offices deciding everyone else's fate. As a matter of fact, if a regular, non-management associate made decisions that had such a negative impact, they would be terminated. But our current management lumps their short-comings in with the increasing price of copper and of course, their hands are perfectly clean. You are management - you are suppose to have provisions in place for copper - after all WE ARE A COPPER DEPENDENT company.

Pros: Good quality construction for almost any application imaginable in the wire and cable industry.

Cons

Too many to mention. I am sure the language would be NSFW.

Retire. You are affecting more than just your own personal interests. Top five US people, go, peace be with you. But please, go.

Good Company to work for, good benefits and well treated.

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

Gain good experience, relatively stable company

Cons

Too much favoritism. Only a small portion of the employees get a promotion and are placed on fast tracked for promotion.

Great potential - all depends on your boss

I have been working at General Cable full-time

Pros

lots of global opportunities, opportunities to be promoted if you have a good boss.

Cons

Poor boss can hinder possibiltities - all depends on which region you are in.
    North america, well run. Latam - poorly run. Europe - very political (like NA)

Make sure to compensate well and keep high potential employees advancing. Too many good people leave because they arent promoted as they deserve.

Such a great experience working with this Fortune 500 Company - would not think of leaving!

Current Employee - Associate in Highland Heights, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Highland Heights, KY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

General Cable has always been kind to me and given me many opportunities to learn and grow within the company. The company has invested thousands of dollars in my development with industry training. They just instituted an awesome vacation purchasing program where we can buy up to an additional week of vacation and the medical, dental and life insurance benefits are fantastic!

Cons

In every company there are politics the higher up the ranks you go. One of the biggest challenges is the company's matrix organization where you may report directly to a manager but have several dotted line managers. Everyone has their own agenda and none of the managers talk to each other, so you can be pulled in a lot of direction. To be successful, you really have to be flexible and patient. But the work is engaging and keeps you challenged every single day. Every day is a learning experience!

Better communication to all levels of the company.

Just like working for a 3rd world banana republic

Former Employee - Manager in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Doral, FL

I worked at General Cable full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are Latin American, you will be very comfortable in this environment. Benefits are OK, but definitely not industry leading.

Cons

Lack of a centralized IT department causes complete dysfunction in IT operations. Companies that were acquired through acquisition or merger still operate like independent businesses, not a single company. Company has 15-20 disparate ERP systems in use, rather than a single global ERP.

Integrate IT into global structure. When new companies are acquired, make sure that they operate as a corporate entity, not a separate company. Run the company like a Fortune 500 company should be, not like a little mom-and-pop shop. Move to a single ERP instead of the 15-20 that exist worldwide.