General Cable

Be The First To
Add Photos

General Cable President, CEO, and Director Gregory B. Kenny

Gregory B. Kenny

Such a great experience working with this Fortune 500 Company - would not think of leaving!

Associate (Current Employee) Highland Heights, KY

ProsGeneral Cable has always been kind to me and given me many opportunities to learn and grow within the company. The company has invested thousands of dollars in my development with industry training. They just instituted an awesome vacation purchasing program where we can buy up to an additional week of vacation and the medical, dental and life insurance benefits are fantastic!

ConsIn every company there are politics the higher up the ranks you go. One of the biggest challenges is the company's matrix organization where you may report directly to a manager but have several dotted line managers. Everyone has their own agenda and none of the managers talk to each other, so you can be pulled in a lot of direction. To be successful, you really have to be flexible and patient. But the work is engaging and keeps you challenged every single day. Every day is a learning experience!

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication to all levels of the company.

Great place to work!

ProsGreat benefits and job opportunities

ConsNo downsides that I saw

very professional folks - great environment - positive, professional attitudes, contemporary philosophies, practices

Software Developer (Current Employee) Highland Heights, KY

Prostop notch people, methodologies...relaxed atmosphere.

Conshaven't really found any as yet

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you're doing !

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent company for interns

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-laid back, friendly environment
    -generous benefits for management employees

Cons-disorganization in management
    -unfriendly operators
    -no support to make decisions

I really enjoyed working at General Cable and loved the autonomy in which I was given within the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAutonomy, you set your own break schedule, was given the freedom and resources to implement your own ideas, family atmosphere, people were great, highly rewarded for safety.

ConsCompany closed facility,hourly pay could have been better.

Great Place, too bad it ended

Engineer (Former Employee) Suffern, NY

ProsThe pro's were the people in the group. They were very helpfull, and they encouraged you to go for it more in terms of finishing projects.

ConsUpper Managment didn't have the company very stable. It lead to the office being shut down. The cons was that the company laied off a lot of workers due to the move from Suffern, NY to Highland Heights, KY

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to haveto have better upper management so that you don't kill the chemistry of the groups.

High energy, fast pace environment, well suited for make or break individuals.

Engineering (Current Employee)

ProsEach day can yield a different challenge, there is no getting bored here. Business outlook and performance is steadily on the up. Opportunities exist for those that have the stamina and work ethic.

ConsAs with any large corporation, there are several layers spread throughout. Communication/alignment is not always ideal.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication and support between business units could be better. We spend a lot of time working on projects that others internally can offer support.

It has been pretty rewarding...

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Doral, FL

ProsThe job offers great benefits and the senior staff are incredibly nice and polite.

ConsThe hours are a little longer than I would like at some points, but otherwise, it is pretty nice.

Competitive pay, evolving culture

Manager (Current Employee) Highland Heights, KY

ProsThe pay is competitive, and they are trying to change the culture to improve employee satisfaction. They are becoming more global, giving associates access to those kinds of experiences.

ConsIt is a relatively select few who get meaningful promotions. Personality and relationships are the primary factors determining upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo take the company to the next level of employee satisfaction, there needs to be access to the inner circle of the organization. A start would be more short term assignments, rotations, and promotion at middle and lower levels. It is time to take an honest look at who is performing and promotable.

O

Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

ProsSomewhat of a flexible schedule, mostly friendly people, constant contact and updates from upper management on the business, acceptable benefits, good on-site training, adequate pay. Upper management has been hitting a lot of home runs with acquisitions, and has a good eye on both the present and future in regards to the overall health of the company.

ConsOnly two weeks vacation for first five years of career with company, lots of turnover in the HR department, HR is not an advocate for perks like tuition reimbursement (the main negative is some managers mislead applicants to think this is not the case), the raise and bonus situation is far too arbitrary, depending on the department one works in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGeneral Cable Corp. brings in billions of dollars a year, yet has hidden their collective wallet when it comes to adult continuing education opportunities. Your big failing as a company is not developing the talent you have on hand. Please stop disguising a cost of living increase as a "raise."

Worked for General Cable? Contribute to the Community!