General Cable Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Good intensions but lack of direction

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many good people working at the company that it should be a pleasant experience. Most people really care about what they do and who they work with.

Cons

There is no expectation of balance of work life and too much internal politics. The work continues to pile on without regard to resources or setting of priorities. Everyone at the plants and corp have their own personal objective with little regard for your own needs.

Advice to Management

Wired As One is a good concept but needs to be made a reality.

Lacking in all aspects....

I have been working at General Cable full-time

Pros

None. It's a paycheck, but not a very good one!

Cons

Poor pay. I came in with over 10 years experience and still only get 2 weeks vacation. Treatment of employees is terrible (especially women). You can expect to work excessive hours with not even as much as a "thank you". Reviews are a joke. No hard work is rewarded. MTPs (Management Training Program) are regarded as the best of the best, but they are just out of college and have no clue how to manage their way out of a paper bag, much less run part of the business.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Treat your employees better and they might want to stick around.

Current employee at General Cable for more than 9 years but less than 20.

I have been working at General Cable full-time

Pros

I stated the above years of service in that way to insure I remain anonymous. As a whole it has been a very rewarding experience working at General Cable. My fellow employees are a great group of people to work with. I have a highly technical position and believe the company does its very best to stay a "State of the Art World Class" organization. Very good vacation plan compared to other companies I have worked for.

Cons

Like any other employer I have worked for there are some issues with some managers having their pet employees. I believe those managers fail to look at the skill set, talent level and proven performance in decision making. Concerning both promotions and pay increases. However I want to point out that I said some managers. Just like every large company has some bad employees they will also have some bad managers.

Advice to Management

Provide better HR training to managers. Some are placing the company at risk of legal litigation. Mostly because of their lack of education in HR. There are never any winners when an employee sues a company. The costs of defending those types of claims is one reason the company spends so much money retaining lawyers.

5. Solid company but needs to find a way to elevate itself in such a mature market.

I worked at General Cable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very hands on training programs.

Cons

The work culture is a bit stiff here.

Advice to Management

If you say you want to live in a paperless world, you should act on it.

6. Good company with challenging management

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable

Pros

Aggressive style and management challenges your performance. Fair benefits and salary.

Cons

Matrix organization can set departments against each other

Advice to Management

Continued focus on developing internal talent

7. Good company to work for but internal politics can be an issue.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, chances to cross train in other departments, management treats you very well.

Cons

No accountability so if if your coworkers don't do their jobs it gets passed off on you, it's a union job so they defend lazy slackers just as much as hard workers. Everything comes down to money in the last couple of years.

Advice to Management

Make people accountable for their work and remind them that they work for you not the other way around.

8. Disorganized company

I worked at General Cable

Pros

I can't think of any other than they do employe people and give them a pay check.

Cons

Poor communication within company. Great at buying companies very poor at growing employees or fostering a healthy work environment. Czarist mentality. Very poor customer service.

Best place for creative and happy minds

Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open culture, lot of opportunities for creativity and innovation. In real world many times brilliant and ambitious people don’t get chances to prove their ability, even in many top companies. If you are talented, hungry to innovate, have ideas for cost management, want to see your dream as commercial product, come here and have fun. I have come across few passionate tech's at early 20's, enjoying the technology learnings here. Work - life balance: Working hours 8 to 4.30, rest all your time, honestly human cannot work 8hrs continuously, so have coffee, lunch, chat and work...

Cons

Very competitive business, much depend on market dynamics and environments, as like all other typical manufacturing industries.

Terrible pay - Join for the Six Sigma experience and leave

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

I sure can't think of any. The only thing you'll get out of working here is a Six Sigma Blackbelt or Greenbelt before you leave.

Cons

The pay is terrible, what they will offer you is well below the regional median salary. The company is run by management that doesn't have a clue, and everything is metric driven to the point that people are frequently at each other's throats.

Advice to Management

Sell the company. You don't know how to run it.

This company acquires other companies without having a full understanding of the marketplace

Current Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay basic market value. The coporate culture educates all employeesto follow proper ethics on and off work.

Cons

They acquire other companies and do not adjust their pricing or inventory structure to meet market needs. Thus what was once established market share with those products quickly diminishes. .

Advice to Management

Follow ouside sales feedback more closely to better understand what products to keep in inventory.

RSS Feed </> Embed