General Cable Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Solid company but needs to find a way to elevate itself in such a mature market.

I worked at General Cable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very hands on training programs.

Cons

The work culture is a bit stiff here.

Advice to Management

If you say you want to live in a paperless world, you should act on it.

2. Good company with challenging management

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Highland Heights, Campbell, KY

I worked at General Cable

Pros

Aggressive style and management challenges your performance. Fair benefits and salary.

Cons

Matrix organization can set departments against each other

Advice to Management

Continued focus on developing internal talent

3. Good company to work for but internal politics can be an issue.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willimantic, CT

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, chances to cross train in other departments, management treats you very well.

Cons

No accountability so if if your coworkers don't do their jobs it gets passed off on you, it's a union job so they defend lazy slackers just as much as hard workers. Everything comes down to money in the last couple of years.

Advice to Management

Make people accountable for their work and remind them that they work for you not the other way around.

5. Disorganized company

I worked at General Cable

Pros

I can't think of any other than they do employe people and give them a pay check.

Cons

Poor communication within company.
    Great at buying companies very poor at growing employees or fostering a healthy work environment.
    Czarist mentality.
    Very poor customer service.

Best place for creative and happy minds

Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open culture, lot of opportunities for creativity and innovation. In real world many times brilliant and ambitious people don’t get chances to prove their ability, even in many top companies. If you are talented, hungry to innovate, have ideas for cost management, want to see your dream as commercial product, come here and have fun. I have come across few passionate tech's at early 20's, enjoying the technology learnings here. Work - life balance: Working hours 8 to 4.30, rest all your time, honestly human cannot work 8hrs
    continuously, so have coffee, lunch, chat and work...

Cons

Very competitive business, much depend on market dynamics and environments, as like all other typical manufacturing industries.

Terrible pay - Join for the Six Sigma experience and leave

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

I sure can't think of any. The only thing you'll get out of working here is a Six Sigma Blackbelt or Greenbelt before you leave.

Cons

The pay is terrible, what they will offer you is well below the regional median salary. The company is run by management that doesn't have a clue, and everything is metric driven to the point that people are frequently at each other's throats.

Advice to Management

Sell the company. You don't know how to run it.

This company acquires other companies without having a full understanding of the marketplace

Current Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at General Cable full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They pay basic market value. The coporate culture educates all employeesto follow proper ethics on and off work.

Cons

They acquire other companies and do not adjust their pricing or inventory structure to meet market needs. Thus what was once established market share with those products quickly diminishes. .

Advice to Management

Follow ouside sales feedback more closely to better understand what products to keep in inventory.

An honest review.

Former Employee - 2014 in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - 2014 in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at General Cable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the sake of this review, I will post the only pro I can think of. The work is not boring. It is very busy and informative. Other than that, there is nothing else. The rest of this review will be addressing General Cable's shortcomings, specifically at the Indianapolis Technology Center. Grab a bag a coke and some chips. You're going to be here for a while.

Cons

I have not been at a loss for words many times in my adult life, but working for General Cable has legitimately rendered me speechless. I am so speechless in fact, that I have no idea where to even begin this review. I will do my best to keep things as specific as I'm allowed to.

1. First and foremost, the Indianapolis Technology Center is absolutely plagued with favoritism. I use the word "plagued" because that is precisely what I mean. The entire building is drowning in it. It is a sickness that affects everyone employed. Unless you are a favorite of upper management, be ready to stay at your current employment level forever. The favoritism is the most evident on the laboratory technician team, which just so happens to be the most important team in the building. The management team has two or three people on a "favorites" list, several of which tower above all the rest. They can do absolutely no wrong in the eyes of management, which makes for a very stressful work environment because they parade this "power" over everyone's head. Here's a true story. This actually happened in an R&D laboratory that calls themselves "Lean." A test was being conducted that required rubber material to be burned with a Bunsen burner in order to record results. Because appropriate PPE was not worn, a burn to the hand resulted. What happened next staggered all of us. Rather than stepping up to reprimand anyone involved, management held a meeting in which we "reconfigured" the JSP (Job Safety Protocol) to cover up the lack of regard for company policy. No one was held responsible. Instead, management blamed the JSP because it wasn't "specific enough." I may not be a rocket scientist, but if you need to be told in writing to wear heat-resistant gloves when you're using a bunsen burner, perhaps you need to find a different line of work. Some are also allowed to carry and answer personal calls on a cell phone any time, including during important company meetings; an act that the rest of us are publicly scolded for. It's not just personal calls either. Business calls are also received on the same cell phones rather than using company phones for company business. How is this even allowed? General Cable business should be conducted on General Cable time and with General Cable property.

2. Management does not manage by any definition of the word. All of upper management is just awful at conflict resolution because they'd like nothing more than to just avoid it altogether. Because of this, veteran associates are allowed to scream and holler curse words down hallways and in the faces of other associates with little consequence. At one point there was an altercation between two associates. Actually, it wasn't between two associates, it was a one-sided profane screaming match from one associate to another. One associate of more than 20 years at the company was allowed to scream at another veteran associate of 20 years for something menial and trivial. All that resulted, to my knowledge, was a quick two-day suspension and a slap on the hand. Following shortly behind this example is a slightly more deplorable act of defiance. Personal property was belligerently defaced without the victim's knowledge. Pictures of family had scratches through the faces. Again, no real management resulted from this. HR held two separate "No harassment" meetings, one for the technologists and technicians, and the other for the engineers. The topic of this meeting can be summarized into one short phrase: "Guys, don't harass each other okay? Thanks." Prior to this, someone had written a vulgar reference to someone being a homosexual on the paper towel dispenser in the men's restroom. Management sent out an email saying such vandalism was punishable by termination. So wait just a minute.... Writing the three letter G-word for homosexual is punishable by termination, but scratching out the face of someone on a picture of their family isn't? Good to know where General Cable's priorities are.

3. You think you've heard all manner of cursing? You haven't heard anything yet. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying either. I'm no saint when it comes to my language, but I have enough sense to know when and where such language is tolerated. Apparently General Cable tolerates all kinds of language all the time. I understand that all businesses have some manner of cursing, but hearing this degree go unpunished is something that I cannot ignore. Not only was the profanity pervasive and disgusting, it was downright sacrilegious. I don't think I've ever heard more G-D's in my entire life of working. Regardless of your religious affiliation, this should not be acceptable. If you're going to threaten to fire people for writing demeaning homosexual remarks in the bathroom, you should be threatening to fire people for derogatory religious remarks too. That's called being fair and even, in case you've forgotten that. G-D may not offend many, but it does offend some, especially when it's multiple times everyday.

4. General Cable may say they "promote from within," but they absolutely do not. This goes directly back to point number one. Unless you're a favorite, forget about promotions. General Cable is notorious for hiring based on personal feelings rather than work experience. In my time at the Indianapolis Technology Center, I have seen all manner of neglect and wrongful lay-offs. They are consistently good at taking people with less experience over those who have put in their due time and deserve permanent employment. It is beyond sickening to watch temp employees get passed over time and time again, especially when a lesser experienced temp is wrongfully chosen for the next open permanent spot. If a temporary associate spends years working hard for you, kicking them out on the street in favor of an outside hire or someone with less experience is the ultimate insult. Either give all of your temps a shot, or stop promising them full-time spots.

5. The company values speak of equally sharing all knowledge among employees. I can tell you first hand, that does not happen. Knowledge is hoarded for job security. Tools for valuable, useful machinery are locked up by people with no authority whatsoever. There are pieces of equipment in that building that only one or two people know how to operate. When service requests are submitted and cannot be completed because your technicians aren't trained properly, that's a huge problem. All technicians should be trained on all pieces of equipment that don't require a license to run. Period.

6. Feather-in-the-hat mentalities run rampant. A majority of people that worked at ITC were just looking for another feather to stick in their hat. No matter how small or large the opportunity was to toss someone to the wolves, these people took it. They would gripe and moan constantly to management about how people weren't wearing the appropriate PPE, while they themselves were also guilty of it. If you're going to toss people under the bus, you might want to make sure you're not also guilty of what you're pompously accusing other people of.

I should probably leave it at six vivid points, even though I could make this pages long with all of the offenses I saw go down in that place everyday. To say that work environment was dysfunctional wouldn't even begin to cover it. Management needs to be rotated around so that favoritism will cease. Until the favoritism is non-existent, even promotions will be non-existent as well.

Advice to Management

First of all, I'll address the corporate management in Highland Heights. Stop using the lower-rung associates as scapegoats when your constant acquisitions of other companies comes back to bite you. Why should 1000 innocent people nationwide have to take the fall for your bad decisions? If you want people to take the phrase "Wired-as-one" seriously at all, firing people at the bottom isn't the answer. "Wired-as-one" would suggest that we are indeed one. If that's the case, why did 1000 people pay the price for your incompetency? "Wired-as-one would suggest that the entire company takes the hit across the board. Maybe you should consider changing it to "Wired-as-1000" since those people who gave their jobs are the reason you're still in business. Maybe HQ might also care to elaborate on the lie told by the North American CEO. He stood up in a teleconference and told all locations that General Cable was "in good standings," and then mere weeks later 1000 men and women are losing their jobs. We aren't that dense, you know. Just because General Cable sits on the fortune 500 list doesn't give her upper management the right to tell bald-faced lies. Either the company is in good standings or it isn't. Which one is it?

To management at the Indianapolis Technology Center: Learn how to manage, plain and simple. Handling conflict resolution is a part of your job. If you can't handle it, find someone who can. Also, stop playing favorites. You can read this and deny it all you want, but again, we are not blind. We know who gets special treatment and who doesn't. After unjustly letting go of a contractor with more than two years experience in favor of someone with far less experience, you cannot tell me you know how to properly manage people. Your technicians are aware of the special treatment, too. Everyone knows who the golden child is none of them are okay with it.

So in closing, management at ITC needs to wake up. Things do not get better by playing favorites, ignoring larger issues, or sweeping things under the rug. ITC is in need of a serious management change, and until that happens, I suggest you send your resumes elsewhere.

Good Company to work for, good benefits and well treated.

I have been working at General Cable

Pros

Gain good experience, relatively stable company

Cons

Too much favoritism. Only a small portion of the employees get a promotion and are placed on fast tracked for promotion.

Great potential - all depends on your boss

I have been working at General Cable full-time

Pros

lots of global opportunities, opportunities to be promoted if you have a good boss.

Cons

Poor boss can hinder possibiltities - all depends on which region you are in.
    North america, well run. Latam - poorly run. Europe - very political (like NA)

Advice to Management

Make sure to compensate well and keep high potential employees advancing. Too many good people leave because they arent promoted as they deserve.

RSS Feed </> Embed