General Datatech Reviews

JW Roberts

1. Great company, not for everyone

Current Employee - Current Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Datatech (More than 3 years)

Pros

GDT is by far the best company that I have ever had an opportunity to work at. I love my job and the creative culture here at GDT. The CEO truly cares for its employees and their well being. I have the option to work from home when needed and am not forced to be chained to my desk 8-5 everyday. GDT and my directors have been encouraging in continued education and professional development.

Cons

If you need someone to report your every move to, this is not the place for you. There is no micro managing or hand holding going on around here. You are expected to take care of your responsibilities and engage in wanting to learn more and help out where you can without being handed a to-do list every morning.

Advice to Management

Be engaged in your teams and their responsibilities.

2. Account Executive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at General Datatech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Pro's are the compensation and commission benefits. They pay some of the best percentages in the DFW area. Very good engineering talent, but there are CONS in this as well.

Cons

The lack of account structure and true management has set a poor sales culture. The engineering talent is very good, but is stretched very thin in certain areas. Delivery on projects has seemed to be a recurring issue. Overall there are too many cookie jars on the shelf which causes constant shuffling and restructuring inside.

Advice to Management

The management structure is very poor and their communication is not very good with their employees. They are reactive and try to justify with one little bright spot.

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Datatech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GDT is very flexible and family oriented. It's not unusual to see kids or dogs running around the office. The culture and people are a lot of fun to work with.

Cons

GDT isn't for everyone. You won't last long if you need hand holding to get the job done. There is no micro-managing.

A great company that's hard on its employees

I have been working at General Datatech full-time

Pros

Mostly Flexible Work Schedule. Nice office Fairly good culture It can be a great place for junior level people to pay their dues and work up the ladder. GDT is an award winning VAR on several levels. They provide outstanding service to their customers. Quite honestly, there aren't a whole lot of firms out there that can deliver what GDT does.

Cons

Long hours doing boring work Very poor benefits Pay is decent, but should be much better considering the lame benefits package Recruiters that are aggressive that over promise and under deliver Better get to work early and park inside the fence or be prepared to defend yourself against crackheads across the street. I once asked a consultant from another company about what knew about GDT. His response was, "Isn't that the place with all the monkey work?" Unfortunately, I wasn't very informed when the recruiters contacted me.

Advice to Management

Don't attempt to recruit top tier talent if can't provide interesting work. Your staff is the life blood of your organization, treat them as such. Open up your eyes an see what you have to work with.

Great Company, Horrible People

I have been working at General Datatech full-time

Pros

The company its self is great, but the people who work there are horrible. I wish there were more pros

Cons

It is like High School with mean girls and sexist men. They do not seem to care about changing the work culture.

Advice to Management

Step up and protect your employees from each other. People feel no scene of protection.

Growing too fast

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at General Datatech

Pros

There is plenty of opportunity for people early in their career.

Cons

The company suffers from ineffective QA and business process programs. Unusual relationship with 1099 sales staff contributes to lack of company controls.

Advice to Management

Hire sales people and establish a best practice QA program.

Wouldn't work anywhere else....ever!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Datatech

Pros

GDT is an amazing place to work and I feel blessed to have been given this opportunity. Not many people can say that they love what they do and where they do it. I have the option to work from home but I'd rather be here surrounded by all these smart, fun, outgoing people. I've experienced exponential career growth during my time with GDT and feel that I am able to make valuable contributions to the company and culture everyday. I've worked for multiple Directors in my tenure and I've been supported in my professional and personal growth by each. I am able to work with autonomy and feel that I am trusted to do my job and commended when I do it well.

Cons

GDT is not for everyone!! If you need a structured environment where you are spoon-fed your tasks and pointed down your career path you will not succeed or be happy. The people who thrive here are those who will "make it happen" with or without hand holding. If you've been pigeon-holed it's because you settled for mediocrity or do not have the social intelligence to work in a competitive environment. GDT does have some big personalities that can be challenging to deal with but most of us brush it off and keep going. My advice to anyone considering coming to GDT is to ask really good questions to make sure it is a good personality fit and that you will be happy working alongside your team mates. Square peg/ round hole doesn't often work around here. True - We have lost a few of our perks. I was sad when they closed the gym (real bummer) but I understood that with such rapid success and growth we needed every square inch. What was our gym is now an amazing state-of-the-art NOC. Most of us hope that when the renovations are finished on the two new buildings we will get the gym back.

Advice to Management

Continue to surround yourselves with greatness. Improve communication at all levels because the more we know the less we guess.

Nice place to work, if you're a hippie.

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at General Datatech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, office culture is very relaxed, company is active in the community. Per diem is nice. SharePoint is well implemented.

Cons

Lack of resource management. Service delivery is poorly supported. No accountability for project managers to "own" their own projects, i.e. the can pass the blame for a failing project on to whoever.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to track and make field resources available

It could be good or it could be bad.

I have been working at General Datatech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company for junior level engineers and sales people. The academy program is excellent. The company does some amazing things in terms of sales. The flat reporting structure is good as well.

Cons

The biggest problems so far have been the extreme poor benefits package. Health insurance is insanely priced. The retirement options are poor as well. Most of the perks like onsite personal trainers and the gym have gone away. It's very easy to get pigeon holed in this company and not really advance career wise once you are seasoned engineer. The company really needs to work on its policies and procedures. There's very little structure at GDT. They have some of the worst project managers I've worked with in my long storied career in IT. This is primarily a side effect of the lack of policies and procedures.

Advice to Management

In order to retain top tier talent you must make work interesting and mundane. Engineers don't spend their entire career perfecting their craft to become stale and rusty. Invest more into your employees. They are the lifeblood of your company. Make the health insurance more affordable and the retirement plan worth investing in.

11. General Datatech

Former Employee - Associate Network Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Network Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at General Datatech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of great and talented people, I found the environment very intellectually stimulating and I learned a lot about different aspects of the business and technologies. They promote a healthy lifestyle by providing free fitness training with a gym and healthy meals a few times a week. Also named as one of the Top 100 places to work in Dallas. I will miss it

Cons

Due to current economic trends the company had to scale back.

RSS Feed </> Embed