General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems Reviews

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015

Thomas W. Kirchmaier

Pros
  • the company allows for a flexible work schedule (in 22 reviews)

• GD has great work life balance and is very respectful of employee responsibilities to family (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no communication at all between managements, multi-disciplinary teams, etc (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management too often only looks at the bottom line figure (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company, culture, values and work environment.

I worked at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems as a contractor

Pros

Very connected work environment with friendly employees making the organization feel like family. The compensation and benefits are top notch as well. They have many tools and technologies that enable their employees to reach their full potential for success and they always support education and career growth as well. I can't say enough good things about this company!

On a side note......I've seen people complaining of the cafeteria food. My response to that is this; most companies do not provide the convenience of a cafeteria and theirs offers both breakfast and lunch, both hot and cold food and everything from fried food to healthy fruit and salads.

Cons

The walk from the parking area to the facilities and offices was pushing 15 minutes which was a little taxing in the frigid winter weather or in the sweltering heat of summer especially when wearing a suit and dress shoes.

Good company to work for

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

Pros

Often requires US citizens, minimum chance for outsourcing jobs to another country

Cons

Often there is too much Bureaucracy

i am not a robot.

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benefits, flex work environment, patriotic

Cons

eq of leadership, transparency with employees, promotion opportunity

put the 'human' back in human resources and respect that employees have an emotional side as well as their productive side.

Good place to work if you are a junior employee

I worked at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

Pros

Depending on the program, the work is very cutting edge and the engineering processes are mature. The benefits are competitive and the 9/80 schedule is a nice benefit.

Cons

The senior staff was not valued. Management did not tend to do career development - employees were left on their own to find their next task.

Management needs to spend more time on career development which should include the senior staff.

Dissatisfied intern

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems as an intern

Pros

* The work is incredibly easy: if you're smart, you can work for maybe 2 hours a day, sleep for a while, chat with coworkers, play on your phone, and go home... Nobody will complain, because they will somehow be impressed.

Cons

* The pay is terri-bad, industry-wide
    * There isn't enough work, leaving you sitting around doing nothing
    * It's government work, so it comes with baggage (requires a clearance, and a bunch of other cloak-and-dagger crap)
    * Lots of enterprise BS and bureaucracy
    * You will gain a lot of non-transferable and ultimately pointless skills

Posting advice would be pointless because nothing will change

I had a great experience and learned so much while being challenged in my day to day duties.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pittsfield, MA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pittsfield, MA

I worked at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun work in the mechanical group, smart people, everyone availanle to ask for help, work is always growing/changing, every other Friday off is awesome

Cons

Overtime not regularly approved / compensated

Get more involved with the engineers, not just the leads

Managers are engineers with no management skill or knowledge.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Pittsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Pittsfield, MA

Pros

Consistent employment. If one chooses to, one may remain at GDAIS until their dying day. Unless one violates a major core policy, it is practically impossible to loose one's job. This has both advantages and disadvantages.

Cons

Managers worked their way up from lower engineering levels. They have no education or experience in management. They manage what they can, not what they should. Nepotism is rampant throughout GDAIS. Effort is rarely rewarded or recognized. Management style is both patronizing and punitive.

Stop assessing managers by meeting goals and instead assess them by their management skills.

GD-AIS is definately the company I have worked for

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

Pros

I have learned a lot and enjoy the co-workers

Cons

There really aren't any that I can think of

Keep up the good work

Get thrown into the fire immediately...

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Pittsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Pittsfield, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively flexible working environment, competitive pay/benefits, some interesting projects, many competent engineers, especially those who work in more specialized areas.

Cons

Management focuses too much on meeting milestones, even when the end product will suffer, which puts a lot of stress on engineering to perform. Some programs lack people with proper knowledge depth, which makes things difficult when key people change jobs.

Work closer with engineering when looking at new business opportunities before signing them up for a project that may not be executable in the time frame you think it will be. Engineering management should be more wary of ensuring project knowledge is shared across multiple resources so projects aren't halted when someone wants to take a vacation or change jobs.

GD-AIS

Current Employee - Systems Engineer - I in Pittsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer - I in Pittsfield, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent work environment, good fellow co-workers, benefits are fairly normal

Cons

Compensation, lack of work, hours/schedule

Improve compensation, have more work setup, get rid of some of the red tape for all of the unnecessary processes involved in simple changes