General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Thomas W. Kirchmaier

Pros:
  • "Excellent vacation time, flexible work schedule, decent retirement and health benefits"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance has been a strong point, and strongly touted by the company"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "In recent years the company has been cutting benefits and does not seem to value the hard work of its employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • "We're going on 5 years or so now with little to no raises, even for 'top' performers in non-management roles"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great first position out of college, a lot a new experiences

Principal Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    McLeansville, NC

ProsUnique work, friendly people, 9/80 work schedule

ConsWould have liked to see more (actually any) emphasis on continuing education. I was interested in going back for my MBA and the run around I received was exhausting. I would have preferred a straight no to any kind of financial help, instead I was told yes, no, yes, and then a no after I had already started the program.

It's good, it could be great...

ProsFlexible work schedule, interesting work.

ConsMicroscopic annual raises regardless of personal/corporate performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees as well as you treat your stockholders.

Company seems to care about its employees.

Computer Forensic Examiner (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsGood PTO and training benefits.

ConsNo real room to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to talk to your people more.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sink or Swim Environment

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Pittsfield, MA

Pros9/80 Schedule with every other Friday off. Good compensation for Berkshire County, MA where the cost of living is quite low compared to the NYC or Boston areas.

ConsThis is a tough place to make it if you're a new employee as training is quite limited and consists of nothing more than reviewing PowerPoint slides and reading technical manuals. Other team members are generally too busy with their own work to help new hires learn the ropes. In fact, they would sometimes become annoyed if I asked them questions, so it's definitely not the friendliest environment I've ever been in. Benefits are terrible with only 2 high deductible health insurance plans to choose from. Work environment is lousy as it's a noisy open plan office with lots of people walking around and chatting, which made it hard to concentrate. There is also lots of office politics here too between managers and between different team members. Also be prepared to occasionally work on weekends and overnights too if you get stuck with a lousy shift in the lab for testing, which can happen especially if the lab is busy and fully booked.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove training for new hires, improve health insurance benefits, and give new hires more of an incentive to stick around.

Getting Worse

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Pittsfield, MA

Pros9/80 flexible work schedule.
    Ability to work remotely when needed, when approved.

ConsUnstable work environment, sudden work stoppages and budget shortcomings. If you can't charge a chargeable task and you reach % overhead / week automatic layoff.
    Little to no communication at all between managements, multi-disciplinary teams, etc.
    Uncompensated overtime mandatory and breaking your back to achieve recognition is only average performance.
    Massive disconnect between program management and technical management. Disconnect between management and employees, all 3 of my managers did not know what I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit focusing on short term profits, 'operational improvement' and think about long term stability.
    Reduce management, increase/decrease processes for balance. Actually document process, not 'word-of-mouth' and 'that's what we have always done.'
    Wake up to the economy, below average salary and benefits.
    You can't use a one-fits-all performance recognition goals.

Great work/family balance and flexibility. Work barriers not dealt with by middle management.

Principal Engineer (Former Employee)
    Bloomington, MN

ProsGD has great work life balance and is very respectful of employee responsibilities to family. Work is interesting. Management encourages and invests in employee training. Company is very disciplined with quality focus. For the most part, the people are great to work with and take pride in the quality of their work. Cutting edge technology and disciplined processes. Lots of flexibility.

ConsCuts to benefits in recent years; especially to personal time off (PTO). Significant PTO cuts were given to long term employees with increases given to new employees. It is obvious senior management does not value employees who have made long term commitments to the success of this organization. There is no compelling reason for employees to stay here long term anymore.
    Middle management does not address work barriers. They allow some employees to continuously put roadblocks up for others who are just trying to be successful. Work environment in recent years was downright toxic.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your tenured people who have worked hard and made many sacrifices over the years to make GD what it is. Cutting tenured employee PTO benefits and handing it to new employees walking in the door places value on short term employee commitments.
    Take appropriate action towards employees who put up roadblocks for others.

Long term employee

Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGood leave allowance and benefits

ConsGDAIS can't get out of their own way with layers of policies and procedures. It takes weeks/months to accomplish things that should be done in days. Old boy network. Constantly "RIFing" the senior population (i.e. higher priced folks) for bogus reasons. Habitually eliminate experienced personnel by eliminating position and then several months later creating a req for a slightly different, less expensive requirement.

It was OK. Salary OK, but they reduce benefits frequently. There 6 years and only got 3 weeks of PTO.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Pittsfield, MA

ProsLove the flex time. Every other Friday off! I enjoyed the work. Good fellow employees.

ConsBids are too low forcing people to work A LOT of unpaid OT. They take away benefits every year. After working there 6 years, I had the same amount of PTO as when I was hired (3 weeks). I wouldn't have gotten any more until I was there 10 years, and it would have only been two days more. Sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't retain the younger crowd by limiting PTO and taking away benefits. Your people work hard for you, if you want to keep them, make it attractive.

Senior Systems Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsGreat Co-Workers, pretty good Work Life Balance

ConsGD is a great ROI stock but does not let it's employees take that many risks on the job.

Okay

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Pittsfield, MA

ProsDynamic and diverse environment. Best people I have ever worked with.

ConsSalaries are so great. Some managers don't know what's going on. work is exciting but repetitive. I did the same thing for over 2years. It became boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn a little more about engineer not just the business side

Worked for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems CEO Thomas W. Kirchmaier. All 150 reviews posted anonymously by General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems employees.