General Dynamics C4 Systems

General Dynamics C4 Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

General Dynamics C4 Systems President Chris Marzilli

Chris Marzilli

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance is encouraged"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management gets richer even as company's revenue goes down"
    in 18 reviews
  • "If you are not a part of the good old boys network, it is very difficult to get promoted or advance"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company for seasoned professionals, not a good place for young or new hires out of school.

ProsCompensation is great....If you can break into inner circle you will do reasonably well.

ConsLeadership opportunities limited, still a bit of boys club. Leadership track and promotion track is a complete mystery.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone is meant to be a leader

Flag Review
    General Dynamics C4 Systems HR Operations responded to this review Apr 28, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review. GDC4S has a strong and long-standing commitment to providing opportunities for professional growth through our promotional program and Program Management Career Path, which ... More

Very beneficial, provided good benefits and tuition reimbursement.

Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGood pay, great teams. You can promote from within, but you need to know the right people.

ConsPoor management decisions, company is losing its direction and need to expand to other markets in order to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand us beyond military defense !

Senior systems analyst for military satellite communications.

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsAerospace and defense industry and excellent compensation and benefits.

ConsPoor organization and lack of responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on customer quality and assuming responsibility.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

General Dynamics C4 Systems lacks strategic vision and manages via the "good old boy network".

IT Manager (Current Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGD pays well for the area, they support flexible work options including telecommuting, and their products help keep soldiers safe.

ConsOpportunities for women and minorities are limited, the company is struggling to capitalize on its portfolio, and it has been laying off staff for 3 years with no end in sight.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees need to know there is some plan for the future that involves more than just layoffs.

Flag Review
    Thank you for your review. We will be sure to send your advice to our senior staff and internal communications so that they may better communicate with employees about the company’s outlook. If you ... More

Good ole boys club

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat place to ride the bus to retirement.

ConsTreat salary employees like hourly right up to the point where hourly employees get paid overtime. Terrible culture. Treat employees poorly. Constantly taking benefits away from employees. Little to no growth potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire! All the old management needs to retire and get some fresh heads in there that can look past "the way it's always been". Right now I'd say there isn't a more dead-end engineering company in Phoenix. Chris Marzilli is the worst CEO I've ever had the displeasure of working for. He spreads the culture of devaluing the employees. He's been poison to C4S.

This company is most likely shutting down operations in AZ.

Eng Aide (Former Employee)

ProsA pay check I guess.

ConsMismanagement. This company laid off all the techs on a project and then could not supply the product under contract to the government which caused a large fine to be levied.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for some type of work you can handle, greater at walmart comes to mind.

Generally ok, wide mix of project/people quality

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGood work/life balance.
    Some work is exciting and makes a difference.
    Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing.

ConsUpper management is out of touch -- they get bonuses while our salaries are frozen and benefits cut.
    Some projects are tedious, boring, and poorly managed.
    2014 isn't a good time to be a defense contractor.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the pain; stop painting rosy pictures for investors while pushing employees to keep doing more with less. Branch out from defense contracting -- the handwriting is on the wall! Try harder to insulate the teams that are rocking.

Flag Review
    We are continually impressed by the ingenuity and creativity of our engineers, especially during these tough financial times when we often ask our engineers to be more cost efficient while continuing ... More

Business going down the tubes along with Defense budget

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsSome really great technical folks working in the trenches of the projects.

ConsToo many managers pushing papers and processes. Top management has little regard for those doing the actual work. Benefits are less and less each year. Top 10% (primarily managers) of workforce belongs to a secret 'bonus club' which earns large bonuses each year. The other 90% gets no bonus or perhaps only an occasional slice of pizza for lunch or turkey lunch and handshake during the holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the profits with all workers and trim the management staff.

Flag Review
    Thank you for taking the time to leave a review; we greatly appreciate your feedback and more than ten years of work with our company. GDC4S is proud of its extensive benefits package, in addition ... More

Wandering in the desert….will they find themselves before it is too late???

Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGood compensation and benefits, although the benefits have been reduced somewhat significantly in the past 3 years. Most employees are competent and dedicated.

ConsThe company has gone too far in workforce reduction, to the point that their ability to execute on existing contracts is jeopardized. A few absolutely critical people have been "released" by managers who were put into their positions recently and really didn't know their people or who the strongest performers were; hence they laid off resources critical to on-going work. The "survivors" are now truly over-worked. Acquisitions over the past several years have almost all turned out to have been major mistakes. But, there has been almost no accountability for these mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementRight-size the senior management. While the company has reduced its workforce dramatically over the past 3 years, the VPs have only played musical chairs; there has been no corresponding reduction in the number of VPs. Some VPs are now in charge of functional areas in which they have no experience or expertise.

Great experience on a fantastic program for a worthy customer.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, decent benefits which declined over the years.

ConsWay too much management. The old Motorola brotherhood system exists here which is not good for non-Motorolans. Fantastic work without drama goes unrecognized. Everything has to be a crisis. Real engineers are continually laid off while management goes unscathed. Company has gone from 6000 to 2000 since late 2009. Not winning new work.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people who do great work without drama and execute on time. Try to get new business and cut management while keeping the engineers who do the actual work.

Conversely, sell the business to a company that wants to be in Arizona.

Flag Review
    We’re glad to hear that you are happy with the benefits you receive at GDC4S. GDC4S employs approximately 8,000 employees nationally and internationally. We are a large, defense contracting company ... More

Worked for General Dynamics C4 Systems? Contribute to the Community!

General Dynamics C4 Systems Videos

General Dynamics C4 Systems – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​ ​​​​About General Dynamics C4 Systems We keep those who operate in mobile, remote and dangerous environments connected and secure. As a subsidiary of General Dynamics, with locations in over a dozen states and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Dynamics C4 Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Dynamics C4 Systems CEO Chris Marzilli. All 287 reviews posted anonymously by General Dynamics C4 Systems employees.