General Dynamics C4 Systems

General Dynamics C4 Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

General Dynamics C4 Systems President Chris Marzilli

Chris Marzilli

Pros
  • Very flexible with work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management gets richer even as company's revenue goes down(in 19 reviews)

• good old boys" network - any they take care of themselves only(in 9 reviews)

Wandering in the desert….will they find themselves before it is too late???

Program Manager (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGood compensation and benefits, although the benefits have been reduced somewhat significantly in the past 3 years. Most employees are competent and dedicated.

ConsThe company has gone too far in workforce reduction, to the point that their ability to execute on existing contracts is jeopardized. A few absolutely critical people have been "released" by managers who were put into their positions recently and really didn't know their people or who the strongest performers were; hence they laid off resources critical to on-going work. The "survivors" are now truly over-worked. Acquisitions over the past several years have almost all turned out to have been major mistakes. But, there has been almost no accountability for these mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementRight-size the senior management. While the company has reduced its workforce dramatically over the past 3 years, the VPs have only played musical chairs; there has been no corresponding reduction in the number of VPs. Some VPs are now in charge of functional areas in which they have no experience or expertise.

Great experience on a fantastic program for a worthy customer.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, decent benefits which declined over the years.

ConsWay too much management. The old Motorola brotherhood system exists here which is not good for non-Motorolans. Fantastic work without drama goes unrecognized. Everything has to be a crisis. Real engineers are continually laid off while management goes unscathed. Company has gone from 6000 to 2000 since late 2009. Not winning new work.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people who do great work without drama and execute on time. Try to get new business and cut management while keeping the engineers who do the actual work.

Conversely, sell the business to a company that wants to be in Arizona.

Apr 28, 2014

We’re glad to hear that you are happy with the benefits you receive at GDC4S. GDC4S employs approximately 8,000 employees nationally and internationally. We are a large, defense contracting company ... More

gd sucks

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Needham, MA

Prosnone other than drawing a salary to pay the bills

Consslave shop takes what they can form employees and discards them when done

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company for seasoned professionals, not a good place for young or new hires out of school.

ProsCompensation is great....If you can break into inner circle you will do reasonably well.

ConsLeadership opportunities limited, still a bit of boys club. Leadership track and promotion track is a complete mystery.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone is meant to be a leader

Apr 28, 2014

Thank you for your review. GDC4S has a strong and long-standing commitment to providing opportunities for professional growth through our promotional program and Program Management Career Path, which ... More

Very beneficial, provided good benefits and tuition reimbursement.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGood pay, great teams. You can promote from within, but you need to know the right people.

ConsPoor management decisions, company is losing its direction and need to expand to other markets in order to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand us beyond military defense !

Company Experiencing Self-Inflicted Business Downturn

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThe work is interesting and they pay well.

ConsThey don't care much about people and their business is dying.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrepare for business downturns before they occur.

Started out well, but in serious decline.

Software Engineer Technical Staff (Current Employee) Sunrise, FL

ProsGood pay. Reasonable work life balance.

ConsLittle accountability for performance. A lot of the buddy system and hoarding of work going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet aggressive on new business. Remove inefficiencies in the large sites. Diversify work across sites more.

Senior systems analyst for military satellite communications.

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsAerospace and defense industry and excellent compensation and benefits.

ConsPoor organization and lack of responsibility.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on customer quality and assuming responsibility.

Not sure of direction

ProsDecent benefits, like knowing that my work is helping servicemembers

ConsSignificant changes/upheaval causing LOTS of turmoil; nature of layoffs hurting morale.

Apr 28, 2014

Thank you for leaving a review. We appreciate your honesty regarding communication between our staff and senior management. We are working to address these concerns and will be sure to share your ... More

Good ole boys club

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat place to ride the bus to retirement.

ConsTreat salary employees like hourly right up to the point where hourly employees get paid overtime. Terrible culture. Treat employees poorly. Constantly taking benefits away from employees. Little to no growth potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire! All the old management needs to retire and get some fresh heads in there that can look past "the way it's always been". Right now I'd say there isn't a more dead-end engineering company in Phoenix. Chris Marzilli is the worst CEO I've ever had the displeasure of working for. He spreads the culture of devaluing the employees. He's been poison to C4S.

Worked for General Dynamics C4 Systems? Contribute to the Community!