General Dynamics C4 Systems

Updated January 15, 2015
2.8

General Dynamics C4 Systems President Chris Marzilli
Chris Marzilli

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent since producing anything is largely irrelevant (in 22 reviews)

• Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems out-of-touch with the common workers/engineers (in 24 reviews)

• There is an inherent "good ol' boys" network in senior management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

146 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good, not great

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

Generous education assistance package for advanced degrees (if your manager approves your program of study), challenging tasks, new engineers have good opportunities to receive raises and promotions, decent work/life balance if you can manage to stay away from programs behind schedule and over budget, opportunities to work in embedded development.

Cons

Little to no budget for training outside of formal education--if you want to improve or acquire new skills you will have to do that on your own time (and dime), few projects use cutting edge technologies, dependence on government funding that may be cut at a moment's notice, lots of unpaid overtime on certain programs, no raises for anyone in 2013.

Offer training alternatives to your engineers. Develop commercial products to provide more stability to your workforce during government sequestration.

Lack of Recognition, Disregard for Desired Type of Work, No Raises

Current Employee - Software Engineer Senior in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Senior in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Their base pay is good. You will work with really sharp, highly-competwnt people. Occassionally pick up new skills. Well-supported IT infrastructure.

Cons

Bleak future.

Work is rarely interesting.

Innovation is often verboten since "we can't afford the time / money." "Sacrifice the month to save the week" mentality.

No recognotion for consistently working a very productive 60 - 70 hour week. Certainly no pay praise, but a sincere "thank you" from middle management or higher would be nice.

No training.

Finally, they pay lip service to putting people in positions that entail the type od work they want to do, but I have yet to see it for myself after several years.

I believe the comments above speak for themselves in terms of needed management action.

Great people

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

Great people that learned about work ethic, pride in product and outstanding customer focus while the company was still Motorola Government Electronics Group.

Cons

After General Dynamics acquired Motorola Government electronics group the heart was torn out of the organization. IT became a for profit corporation

None

Overall, good place to work - has been great for my career.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good career advancement opportunities and a variety of different types of programs to work on.

Cons

Lack of vision from the business leadership and poor/slow response to shifting market priorities, staffing needs, etc... the upper management's style is very re-active and not really consistent.

Do better at projecting both the business markets you're in as well as the employment market your people are in... you can better estimate staff needs, attrition rates and where your company is headed.

Technology giant?

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer III in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer III in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great name to work for if you can do it. Employees are eerily loyal to GDC4S. Lots of great travel.

Cons

Pay, less than reasonable. No bonus, few raises, employee perks were cut throughout my stay with this company. Technology is way behind the curve. This machine of a company trudges through with little proper planning and are not prepared to keep their employees during market changes.

Invest in your employees, invest on making products better/

Logistics Manager

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Easy work, secure as long as programs are awarded

Cons

Poor managed logistics group, live a die with program awards

Talent refresh

Old male hierarchical work environment

Former Employee - Planner in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Planner in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The tasks I were given moved so slow that I was constantly bored. I was able to read the news a lot to stay on top of current events, which I havent been able to do since I left.

Cons

The people I worked with were uneducated and did not play well in the sand box. They had made their entire career at GD/ Motorola since high school and did not have good group skills working in teams. I was the youngest employee in my department by at least 20 years, which did not aid to any mentorship.

Benchmark similar companies, culture is not good.

Atmosphere has changed in last several years

Former Employee - Anon in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anon in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

May be hired if young and recent college graduate

Cons

Far too many experienced engineers have been let go

none

Big ship....tiny rudder !

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits and compensation are above average. I didn't appreciate that until I started looking for another job. I enjoyed working on projects that directly helped the war fighter. Motorola / General Dynamics has a proud heritage of delivering top quality products to the military.

Cons

Like all big corporations there are policies, politics and procedures that seem to get in the way of simply doing a great job. This can be especially frustrating when trying to meet or exceed cost and schedule requirements.

Become more agile by pushing decision making to the lowest level possible. Trust your employees.

General Dynamics C4 Systems Response

Aug 11, 2014HR Operations

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with your benefits. We take your comments and advice seriously and will be sure to share them with executive staff anonymously ... More

This company would be nothing without the name.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

If you're fresh-out of college, they'll hire you very easily.
    Most people are very laid back.
    There is somehow a respect for software developers, among the other "engineers" - they think you're really smart.
    If you're retired from the armed forces, you'll have a "forever home" here. (Con: if you're not one among this group of people, you'll have every little common ground with your colleagues, and worse yet, management)

Cons

There are tons of managers - you'll have at most two "manager type" people who know and might appreciate your work - but there are usually 4-5 layers of additional managers above that within any section of the engineering staff. There are tons of sections, too. With so many managers, and the fact that they play "musical chairs" every few months, you'll never know them, they'll never know you - but they control your merit increases just the same. So, unless you have a great direct manager - one who has been at the company a long time, and has held rank above his position - nobody can, or will, vouch for your work...

This is a very poor place to have a fulfilling career as a software developer...
    ...the majority of senior developers' seniority come from the number of time sheets they've submitted; never mind their ability to guide your career and mentor you through your struggles. If you're hard-working, you'll quickly outpace all of the senior guys, and then realize that they're getting paid 90+ and you, much much less. Hard pill to swallow, as you realize there are no merit increases coming your way, and it's nearly impossible to earn a compensation increase either. Most senior engineer's (software developers) are stuck in the 90's - where there wasn't much special technology coming out, aside from Standard Edition Java and .NET - and they're still livin' it up in the 90's! The business also has a proven track record of abandoning certain factions of developer's hard work: every *worthwhile* senior developer I have met here, has a very depressing story about how a great idea was lost on the poor decisions and lack of interest by the managers and business development team.

People are flooding out of here like crazy - with the majority of people staying only for pension benefits, because they're too tired to jump back out on the job market, or that they literally couldn't get hired anywhere else.

Firstly, you should heed the advice of these reviews: they're very much a raw depiction of how it is at GDC4S, and you wouldn't know because you're not involved.

Give your employees better tools:
    - from the software developer's point of view -
    Stop pushing "one size fits all" technology across the business. Software developers thrive in the open source world, and you're not taking any advantage of it by dumping boat loads of cash into IBM. Do what your company is supposed to do: INTEGRATE - Just one Google search on the top: software change-management, continuous-integration, defect tracking, software collaboration, etc - will unveil the strikingly poor decisions being made by... who the heck knows? Realize that with creativity, you can allow for multiple professional realms to collaborate in the same environment even with different tools.
    - from a broader point of view -
    The idea that the SharePoint server is actually making the business more effective in any way possible, is a myth. Due, partly to the sheer mediocrity of SharePoint, and then mostly in your complete disregard to the science and art of Knowledge Organization. The ability of working-groups to collaborate through documentation is dead. Try it: go type ANYTHING into the search engine, and try to glean an accurate result. These tools are nothing more than a novelty. Its totally frustrating to see how poorly any attempt to organize information in this business has been executed. There are at least 5 completely disparate repositories that any one piece of information might be placed, and nobody has the slightest clue where to find it. Talk to your employees, figure out what people need, then integrate, customize, and migrate.

General Dynamics C4 Systems Response

Sep 9, 2014HR Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write this honest review. As an employee of GDC4S for more than 5 years, I’m sure you understand that the defense market ebbs and flows. However, I am very pleased to ... More

General Dynamics C4 Systems Photos