General Dynamics C4 Systems

General Dynamics C4 Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

General Dynamics C4 Systems President Chris Marzilli

Chris Marzilli

Pros
  • Very flexible with work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management gets richer even as company's revenue goes down(in 19 reviews)

• good old boys" network - any they take care of themselves only(in 9 reviews)

A Place to Learn

ProsTalent people willing to teach and help anyone grow

Consneed to be a member of the good 'ole boys club

Good DoD Contracting company that is suffering with the loss of DoD contacts.

Security Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe company provides a 9/80 work week and allows telecommuting when feasiable.

ConsRight now DoD contracting is at a low and therfore work is not plentiful.

Started out great, but some departments not keeping up with technology.

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Needham, MA

ProsIf you are in the right department, you can grow your career by moving to projects that interest you. Some projects are great, using at least current technology, if not cutting edge. Company budget and planning allows for being able to retain people when times get tough, though layoffs can still occur.

ConsSome department managers are more concerned about staffing their jobs than allowing you to make career moves within the company. You may find yourself bounced from job to job becoming a "jack of all trades" which is great if that is what you want for your career. Not all department managers are this way, but if you get one, you only seem to have to quit to make a career move.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaying engineers well isn't the only way to retain them. You have to allow them to work on jobs that make them happy in order to have them stay.

General Dynamics C4 Systems HR Operations responded to this review

Jul 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. As our company adjusts to the changing economic climate, we appreciate your flexibility to be a “jack of all trades”. With government cuts and ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Titanic

Engineer (Current Employee) Taunton, MA

ProsA few good people left and decent pay.
    Easy commute.

ConsBeware of the 4-5 star ratings that the someone is posting on here because no one who really works here thinks this company is doing well.
    Poor management which is completely out of touch with its staff and the best practices of the industry.
    They rate people on number of hours worked instead of how efficient or well their work is. Therefore you have people rewarded for taking 20 hours to perform a 5 minute task.
    All design decisions are made by the chosen few and all other input is discarded.
    The cash cow contract of this company is going to expire in a couple of years and then the real layoffs will begin.
    People are jumping ship by the boat loads because of poor management and vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementRate the good engineers by their actually work which will involve finding out what they are doing, and how well/efficient they are at it (BTW, SLOC and hours worked will not give you this information).
    Don't treat everyone the same. You have good engineers and engineers that need to improve.

P.S. I will assume that GD management will ignore this or write a five star review above it.

General Dynamics C4 Systems

Software Development (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsLarge variety of jobs.
    People are pleasant to work with.
    Team members are supportive

ConsLack of work effects management behaviors in a negative way, including a lack of honesty with employees, hiring contract labor while laying off employees doing the same work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees

Was good...now will struggle

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsWas good when it was Motorola

ConsBefore it was a great company to work for when it was Motorola.
    Small projects were the key...one gets canceled, always had a place to do.
    Now...all big jobs...one gets cancelled and hundreds/thousands get laid off

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestment...in your people, in your customers

Awesome!

ProsGreat place to work for.

ConsHR rushes to much. Give people a chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive perspective employees a chance to get back to you.

Middle of the raod. I have worked for better and worse company's

ProsMost of the people are generally pretty good at what they do and are helpful when needed.

ConsThere is no professional or personal growth with this company. Only the uppper management has any upward mobilty.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider this - most people would not stay at a company who routinely are caught breaking their own ethical mores

Great people

Engineering (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat people...highly qualified seasoned personnel.

ConsCompany is going major re-structuring due to sequestration. Highly performing individuals leaving the company.

Good Opportunities

Senior Test Engineer (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThe rich processes and deep talent pool offers a great working atmosphere for younger employees to learn and grow. The time off is generous and the benefits are appropriate.

ConsThis business segment is very dependent upon the defense sector. If defense dollars dry up this is an at-risk place to be when budgets are cut.

Worked for General Dynamics C4 Systems? Contribute to the Community!