General Dynamics C4 Systems

General Dynamics C4 Systems Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

General Dynamics C4 Systems President Chris Marzilli

Chris Marzilli

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance is encouraged"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management gets richer even as company's revenue goes down"
    in 18 reviews
  • "The most unimaginative senior management crew you will find in a company this size"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great to work with the engineers, but horrible to be treated like the cog in the machine by management.

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems

ProsOpportunity to travel, good pay, and engineers treat each other with respect. Use a wide range of technologies. Have good reputation with their customers.

ConsExperienced bad planning for work in some projects, based on lack of understanding technologies that they believed were going to be used. Minimal training provided on technologies. Learn as you go mindset, without giving the time to learn. Freeze on wages happened with workers, while upper management received bonuses. Never approves overtime, but will expect you to work it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the employees to understand the technology they are expected to work with. Make sure architects know the technology before giving estimates of work.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 8 years

It has been a great place to work

Taunton, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay and benefits, great people and work environment, flexible work schedule, challenging and interesting work, nice health center, business rebounding

ConsOur primary customer, government, has had budget issues creating business challenges and fierce competition. IT rules too restrictive and antiquated

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on long term objectives while continuing to make positive strides tackling near term challenges. Continue to promote from within and grow internal talent.

Sad to witness the decline of the business due to mismanagement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking with some very good people with great technical expertise that are committed to doing a good job.

ConsPoor senior management. Some bad acquisitions put the company in trouble. Managers whose business declined under their watch are protected and others pushed out the door. Senior management did not know how to protect and grow the business and got run over by the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementGD Corp should replace the C4S senior managment.

Tough times at the moment but a solid company

Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat products and systems that save lives and help our heroes do their jobs more effectively

ConsIn midst of significant business decline that has resulted in substantial reductions in force and cost reductions

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency needed so employees can feel comfortable that recovery is near

My Home

Senior Staff Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
Needham, MA

ProsGreat place to work, been here 32 years. Lots of interesting programs to work on. Great pay and benefits. Family Atmosphere. Happy customers that keep coming back, even when there are problems. Great technology.

ConsThe company is suffering from the current decrease in defense spending. Hopefully that will turn around soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide employees with a rotation program so they can experience more of what C4S has to offer. More group and one-on-one communication with management.

Bonuses at the top executive level and nothing for those at lower levels.

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

ProsInteresting work on the embedded side of the house. Unfortunately the other business lines are not winning anything lately.2

ConsReductions in workforce continue and those remaining have low morale and frozen wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet at clue! Middle and upper management are too heavy for the size of the workforce.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Dedicated to the Nation's security

Management (Current Employee)

ProsThe work is incredibly important to protecting our soldiers and to the security of our citizens. While managing some difficult market headwinds, the amazing employees remain committed to the cause and they bring it every day.

ConsNatural market ebb and flow has required the closing of several facilities and unwelcome downsizing decisions. All businesses eventually face market downturns and this too shall pass.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going and guts it out. Value and retain your best employees.

Good ole boys club

Staff Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat place to ride the bus to retirement.

ConsTreat salary employees like hourly right up to the point where hourly employees get paid overtime. Terrible culture. Treat employees poorly. Constantly taking benefits away from employees. Little to no growth potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire! All the old management needs to retire and get some fresh heads in there that can look past "the way it's always been". Right now I'd say there isn't a more dead-end engineering company in Phoenix. Chris Marzilli is the worst CEO I've ever had the displeasure of working for. He spreads the culture of devaluing the employees. He's been poison to C4S.

Great internship experience!

Strategic Planning Intern (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems as an intern for less than a year

ProsGave a wide range of experience, great on a resume, encourages continuous learning

ConsNot always a job secured after interning even if they want you

Worked for General Dynamics C4 Systems? Contribute to the Community!

General Dynamics C4 Systems Videos

General Dynamics C4 Systems – Why Work for Us?

​​ ​ ​​​​About General Dynamics C4 Systems We keep those who operate in mobile, remote and dangerous environments connected and secure. As a subsidiary of General Dynamics, with locations in over a dozen states and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Dynamics C4 Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Dynamics C4 Systems CEO Chris Marzilli. All 267 reviews posted anonymously by General Dynamics C4 Systems employees.