General Dynamics C4 Systems

General Dynamics C4 Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

General Dynamics C4 Systems President Chris Marzilli

Chris Marzilli

Pros
  • Very flexible with work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management gets richer even as company's revenue goes down (in 19 reviews)

• good old boys" network - any they take care of themselves only (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company working with the Federal Government incapable of doing business in the real world.

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of assets at your disposal, it was great to see the support for the first quarter with the company. It was some seriously strong Kool-Aid for that time.

ConsEverything was reviewed like a federal project and no one knew how to make a decision. It was being run by a group of talented Fed Government guys that had no idea how to conduct business outside of those channels.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide direction, support and let the talented professionals you hired succeed. The current CEO is doing a job that typically was handled by a 70 year old that was ready to retire. Cutting the workforce, getting out of adjacent growth markets and "back to basics approach" is not how you tun around a company who is completely dependent on the Federal Government and large programs for its existence. Government is changing and GD is not.

Finance is tough

Finance Analyst (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsCoprorate benefits
    Work/life balance
    good starting pay
    I dont know what else to put?
    so this is tough to continue to add things too it

ConsTimes are tough.. lots of cut backs. moreale is low
    not good mkt pay
    no bonus
    they are nazi's about timecards
    hard to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign mgtment and employee goals.

Only value bottom-line. Corporate America at its worst.

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDiversified opportunities to work supporting federal government projects.

ConsCan't determine how to expand their long-term vision beyond supporting current business. Management scared stiff, lack of people skills, lack of honesty and integrity within certain business units.

Advice to Senior ManagementSatisified employees will make it happen. So - satisfy your employees. Train your managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very poorly managed

Staff Engineer (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsDecent pay... if you can keep your job

ConsLots of layoffs, many due to reduced defense spending and some due to bad management decisions.
    Management is very focused on short term cost cutting without understanding just what they are cutting.
    Lots of favoritism. If you know how to play the office politics game, you can be very successful, without being proficient in your job.

I became aware of a email from a coworker to my manager. The coworker was providing excuses why something was not done and was in effect, blaming me, without mentioning me by name. This person had not even notified me of the particular work he was involved in, so I could not have been to blame. Since this person was my boss was not in the least bit interested in the fact this person was lying.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe typical manager here has no clue what their employees actually do. Their focus is on not rocking the boat and cutting costs, without any understanding that some carefully managed overhead spending can actually serve to reduce overall program costs.

Scottsdale management seems to roll over and defer on all important decisions to management in Massachusetts. The result is more and more work is transferred to MA to what has to be a higher cost location.

Great short term experience

Buyer (Former Employee) Needham, MA

ProsIn the division I was in the people were great people to work with.

ConsLot of lay-offs and uncertainty if you will have a job tomorrow.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll good

It has been a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Taunton, MA

ProsGood pay and benefits, great people and work environment, flexible work schedule, challenging and interesting work, nice health center, business rebounding

ConsOur primary customer, government, has had budget issues creating business challenges and fierce competition. IT rules too restrictive and antiquated

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on long term objectives while continuing to make positive strides tackling near term challenges. Continue to promote from within and grow internal talent.

There were many opportunities working at General Dynamics

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThere were many opportunities to streamline processes, process improvement, consolidate workload, and cross train. Pay was good for those that had many years of service. I enjoyed the diversity of the company.

ConsThe state of the business did not allow for the company to keep all employees. Downsizing was necessary, but often looked as unfair.

My Home

Senior Staff Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) Needham, MA

ProsGreat place to work, been here 32 years. Lots of interesting programs to work on. Great pay and benefits. Family Atmosphere. Happy customers that keep coming back, even when there are problems. Great technology.

ConsThe company is suffering from the current decrease in defense spending. Hopefully that will turn around soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide employees with a rotation program so they can experience more of what C4S has to offer. More group and one-on-one communication with management.

Tough times at the moment but a solid company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat products and systems that save lives and help our heroes do their jobs more effectively

ConsIn midst of significant business decline that has resulted in substantial reductions in force and cost reductions

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency needed so employees can feel comfortable that recovery is near

Overall, C4S is a great place to work! The Soldier Network Video - a proud moment for GDC4S

Program Manager (Current Employee) Taunton, MA

ProsGreat leadership. Prasies to Chris Marzilli for moving women into leadership positions. Changes in management are creating a new environment as we change with our customer.
     Great addition with Phebe at the top!

ConsIt has been a tough few years with the budget cuts and having to nagivate the morale issues

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some fun while we are working hard at our job.

Worked for General Dynamics C4 Systems? Contribute to the Community!