General Dynamics C4 Systems

Updated December 14, 2014
2.8

General Dynamics C4 Systems President Chris Marzilli
Chris Marzilli

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent since producing anything is largely irrelevant (in 22 reviews)

• Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems out-of-touch with the common workers/engineers (in 24 reviews)

• There is an inherent "good ol' boys" network in senior management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

Good management on site. The project leadership is exellent and will challenge you. They have interesting projects.

Cons

Government Contractor so it all depends on Government programs. With all the talk of cut backs I thought it was time to move in a different direction.

One of the Best Organization in World...

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Values, Benefits Overall Complete Job satisfaction

Cons

As lots of touring is involved, Its been difficult sometimes to adjust according to work/ personal priorities.

Be neutral to everyone. Sometimes biasism towards someone is not good for other employees who are working really hard.

Great Place To work

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

Interesting work, excellent pay/benefit combination.

Cons

Geographically distributed campus - Needham, Taunton and Scottsdale, means there is limited opportunity without moving to a different campus.

Keep the communications flowing to the company like you are, especially as we continue to work through this market correction.

GReat company to work for, interesting work, very military friendly

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

Military friendly, challenging, good advancement opportunity, reasonable downsizing practices

Cons

Losing focus on products, resistant to aggressive pursuits, resistant to spending internal funds on IRandD

Very good place to work

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

Great benefits, flex time, work/life balance support, pay

Cons

short sighted decision making. Not seeing the big picture from a business perspective

see above

Extremely relaxed environment and intelligent co-workers to learn from

Current Employee - WIN-T Field Engineer III in Fort Hood, TX
    Current Employee - WIN-T Field Engineer III in Fort Hood, TX

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

General Dynamics has some of the best employees I've ever worked with. Highly intelligent and competent in many areas of information technology. The environment is very relaxed and management is very approachable. Your salary compensation is excellent compared to other companies that deal in the same services and the company is always looking to assist you in growing through educational reimbursements and giving you the time to work towards your own professional development. I have found friends and family while working for General Dynamics and would highly recommend them to anyone looking to work with great technology while helping the warfighter.

Cons

As in any contract job there is always the possibility of being deployed into hostile environments, however at General Dynamics, you don't have to do more than a 4 month deployment at any given time. That is far superior to a lot of other companies that require you to do a year overseas and you may possibly have a job when you return stateside. I think that sets General Dynamics apart and is the only downside I see to the company.

Keep doing what you are doing because General Dynamics is a fabulous place to work for. You have made it easy for a former Soldier to transition into a great company on the outside and I can still do what I loved to do while in the military. I will continue to work hard for you delivering superior customer service to the Army as long as you continue to make my work experience mean something. Thank you.

Quite progressive for a defense contractor

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

Exciting work, important to our national security.
    Refreshingly innovative for a large industrial.
    Positive, respectful work climate.
    Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The nature of the business lends itself to bureaucracy.
    Several very large, multi-year programs where employees can get lost in the crowd. Not necessarily a bad thing, but requires self-initiative to get noticed.

Keep innovating, keep investing, keep differentiating, keep the customer first, keep sharing vision and strategies with employees, promote from within

GDC4 Systems - a great place to work and learn!

Current Employee - Program Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

General Dynamics has many programs that are on the cutting edge technology - even though most of these programs are military/aerospace oriented. The company has many opportunities for career and professional development -- managers never say no to requests for classes or college work. The workplace is very collegial -- the coworkers are very pleasant to work with; people will stop what they are doing to help you.

GD is also very process oriented. It helps bring discipline into an otherwise chaotic technology development cycle.

Cons

GD has only one major customer - the US Government. Therefore, there is some risk in long term career prospects although many of my colleagues are 20 year veterans in the company. The company achieves product diversity by being in a number of defense programs -- hoping that even if one or two get cancelled, the other programs will balance out the losses.

Communicate more openly and honestly about state of organization, prospects for the future (less rah-rah, more realism). Try harder to get inter division co-operation going. My biggest gripe is that the geographically dispersed divisions are sometimes fighting each other instead of working together.

Excellent company with excellence in engineering, ethics, and security.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems

Pros

The people are very conscientious and smart. There is a lot of integrity in the company. After all, we are building systems to be used by our military and there is no room for slacking or poor ethics. There is also a lot of security. Upper management does care about growing the company by making the people, processes and products better. They don't just strive for pushing sales anyway possible, but to differentiate our products through excellence.

Cons

There aren't to many other then the company tends to be tight with the purse strings. They pay good but they watch their pennies in most other ways. But, I just look at that as a part of their good ethics. Waste not want not. And again, we are a government contractor so extravagance is not something your going to find here.

Great job guys. Keep up the good work.

A good steady job but nothing glamorous

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good salary and some of the work cab be stimulating.

Cons

Little upward mobility. Many very competent individuals had been at the same pay grade for 8-10 years.

General Dynamics C4 Systems Photos