General Dynamics C4 Systems

Updated August 18, 2014

2.8

General Dynamics C4 Systems President Chris Marzilli
Chris Marzilli

Pros
  • Very flexible with work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management gets richer even as company's revenue goes down (in 19 reviews)

• good old boys" network - any they take care of themselves only (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the Best Organization in World...

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

Pros

Culture, Values, Benefits Overall Complete Job satisfaction

Cons

As lots of touring is involved, Its been difficult sometimes to adjust according to work/ personal priorities.

Be neutral to everyone. Sometimes biasism towards someone is not good for other employees who are working really hard.

Great Place To work

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Needham, MA

Pros

Interesting work, excellent pay/benefit combination.

Cons

Geographically distributed campus - Needham, Taunton and Scottsdale, means there is limited opportunity without moving to a different campus.

Keep the communications flowing to the company like you are, especially as we continue to work through this market correction.

GReat company to work for, interesting work, very military friendly

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Military friendly, challenging, good advancement opportunity, reasonable downsizing practices

Cons

Losing focus on products, resistant to aggressive pursuits, resistant to spending internal funds on IRandD

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good place to work

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer

Pros

Great benefits, flex time, work/life balance support, pay

Cons

short sighted decision making. Not seeing the big picture from a business perspective

see above

Extremely relaxed environment and intelligent co-workers to learn from

Current Employee - WIN-T Field Engineer III  in  Fort Hood, TX
    Current Employee - WIN-T Field Engineer III in Fort Hood, TX

Pros

General Dynamics has some of the best employees I've ever worked with. Highly intelligent and competent in many areas of information technology. The environment is very relaxed and management is very approachable. Your salary compensation is excellent compared to other companies that deal in the same services and the company is always looking to assist you in growing through educational reimbursements and giving you the time to work towards your own professional development. I have found friends and family while working for General Dynamics and would highly recommend them to anyone looking to work with great technology while helping the warfighter.

Cons

As in any contract job there is always the possibility of being deployed into hostile environments, however at General Dynamics, you don't have to do more than a 4 month deployment at any given time. That is far superior to a lot of other companies that require you to do a year overseas and you may possibly have a job when you return stateside. I think that sets General Dynamics apart and is the only downside I see to the company.

Keep doing what you are doing because General Dynamics is a fabulous place to work for. You have made it easy for a former Soldier to transition into a great company on the outside and I can still do what I loved to do while in the military. I will continue to work hard for you delivering superior customer service to the Army as long as you continue to make my work experience mean something. Thank you.

Quite progressive for a defense contractor

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Exciting work, important to our national security.
    Refreshingly innovative for a large industrial.
    Positive, respectful work climate.
    Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The nature of the business lends itself to bureaucracy.
    Several very large, multi-year programs where employees can get lost in the crowd. Not necessarily a bad thing, but requires self-initiative to get noticed.

Keep innovating, keep investing, keep differentiating, keep the customer first, keep sharing vision and strategies with employees, promote from within

GDC4 Systems - a great place to work and learn!

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Bloomington, MN

Pros

General Dynamics has many programs that are on the cutting edge technology - even though most of these programs are military/aerospace oriented. The company has many opportunities for career and professional development -- managers never say no to requests for classes or college work. The workplace is very collegial -- the coworkers are very pleasant to work with; people will stop what they are doing to help you.

GD is also very process oriented. It helps bring discipline into an otherwise chaotic technology development cycle.

Cons

GD has only one major customer - the US Government. Therefore, there is some risk in long term career prospects although many of my colleagues are 20 year veterans in the company. The company achieves product diversity by being in a number of defense programs -- hoping that even if one or two get cancelled, the other programs will balance out the losses.

Communicate more openly and honestly about state of organization, prospects for the future (less rah-rah, more realism). Try harder to get inter division co-operation going. My biggest gripe is that the geographically dispersed divisions are sometimes fighting each other instead of working together.

Excellent company with excellence in engineering, ethics, and security.

Current Employee - Senior Staff Systems Engineer  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Systems Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

The people are very conscientious and smart. There is a lot of integrity in the company. After all, we are building systems to be used by our military and there is no room for slacking or poor ethics. There is also a lot of security. Upper management does care about growing the company by making the people, processes and products better. They don't just strive for pushing sales anyway possible, but to differentiate our products through excellence.

Cons

There aren't to many other then the company tends to be tight with the purse strings. They pay good but they watch their pennies in most other ways. But, I just look at that as a part of their good ethics. Waste not want not. And again, we are a government contractor so extravagance is not something your going to find here.

Great job guys. Keep up the good work.

Big ship....tiny rudder !

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

The benefits and compensation are above average. I didn't appreciate that until I started looking for another job. I enjoyed working on projects that directly helped the war fighter. Motorola / General Dynamics has a proud heritage of delivering top quality products to the military.

Cons

Like all big corporations there are policies, politics and procedures that seem to get in the way of simply doing a great job. This can be especially frustrating when trying to meet or exceed cost and schedule requirements.

Become more agile by pushing decision making to the lowest level possible. Trust your employees.

General Dynamics C4 Systems Response

Aug 11, 2014HR Operations

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with your benefits. We take your comments and advice seriously and will be sure to share them with executive staff anonymously ... More

Good DoD Contracting company that is suffering with the loss of DoD contacts.

Current Employee - Security Engineer
    Current Employee - Security Engineer

Pros

The company provides a 9/80 work week and allows telecommuting when feasiable.

Cons

Right now DoD contracting is at a low and therfore work is not plentiful.

Worked for General Dynamics C4 Systems? Contribute to the Community!