General Dynamics C4 Systems Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.8

General Dynamics C4 Systems President Chris Marzilli
Chris Marzilli

Pros
  • Very flexible with work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management gets richer even as company's revenue goes down (in 19 reviews)

• good old boys" network - any they take care of themselves only (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working here

Current Employee - Operations Senior  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Senior in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Salary and oportunity for advancement

Cons

It takes a long time to be promoted

Keep up the good work

Great job until 2010. Layoffs for 4 years; projects ending, down turn in economy. Manuf. work coming July 2015.

Current Employee - Technician  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technician in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Pay, good benefits, good staff, good time off. Health & safety are good. Fitness club on site. Flex hours and the ability to work around family issues when they arise. Great place to work.

Cons

HR can make your life difficult for a long time if you EVER have a problem with a manager. Dated facilities. Even after all the layoffs, there is still a lot of poor management left running the show? Paying accounts on time. Net 30 days is often 120 days! Putting managers in charge who have poor people skills, poor business skills and so on.

Dump the dead wood managers and others please. Instead of thinking ONLY of the % profit per year, perhaps think about retaining manufacturing abilities and a dedicated staff. Stop blowing the $$ on stupid projects internally. Upgrading equipment would help keep GDC a float in the future. Now, I don't know

Good Opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The rich processes and deep talent pool offers a great working atmosphere for younger employees to learn and grow. The time off is generous and the benefits are appropriate.

Cons

This business segment is very dependent upon the defense sector. If defense dollars dry up this is an at-risk place to be when budgets are cut.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gaining momentum after some hard years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The work I do directly benefits Soldiers, it is the reason i come in every day. Salary/benefits are comparable to other like-companies. The company seems to be making forward progress after almost five really ugly years.

Cons

Little transparency, employees only engage with management when an executive memo comes out, Layoffs seem to have declined, although we all remain on high-alert for our manager to arrive at our cube with the HR rep.

Trust your employees with the vision going forward, stove-piping information, a little here and a little there doesn't improve morale or the belief that C4 will survive.

General Dynamics C4 Systems Response

Jun 6, 2014HR Operations

Thank you for your honest feedback. You're right, government cuts have meant that the past several years have been hard, but we are working even harder to ensure a sustainable future for the company ... More

Nice but big company

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Worked in small branch, very tight group interesting projects. GD corporate had decent support. Pay was good. Good group of coworkers for the most part. I enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Was a third party contractor so did not have security or benefits. Sometimes the slow response of the large company would hurt productivity.

Keep open dialogue

Tough times at the moment but a solid company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Great products and systems that save lives and help our heroes do their jobs more effectively

Cons

In midst of significant business decline that has resulted in substantial reductions in force and cost reductions

More transparency needed so employees can feel comfortable that recovery is near

Overall, C4S is a great place to work! The Soldier Network Video - a proud moment for GDC4S

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Taunton, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Taunton, MA

Pros

Great leadership. Prasies to Chris Marzilli for moving women into leadership positions. Changes in management are creating a new environment as we change with our customer.
     Great addition with Phebe at the top!

Cons

It has been a tough few years with the budget cuts and having to nagivate the morale issues

Have some fun while we are working hard at our job.

Great company for seasoned professionals, not a good place for young or new hires out of school.

Pros

Compensation is great....If you can break into inner circle you will do reasonably well.

Cons

Leadership opportunities limited, still a bit of boys club. Leadership track and promotion track is a complete mystery.

Not everyone is meant to be a leader

General Dynamics C4 Systems Response

Apr 28, 2014HR Operations

Thank you for your review. GDC4S has a strong and long-standing commitment to providing opportunities for professional growth through our promotional program and Program Management Career Path, which ... More

Great people and great company but you are subject to the ups and downs of the defense industry

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

GD provides training for employees and provides a professional work environment. The work is usually really interesting.

Cons

The defense industry is up and down and its tough for defense companies to balance staffing - so one year the company will be hiring hundreds of people and another year a major contract ends and they are laying off hundreds of people

Good Company

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Staff Employees - the support functions do what they can to help you

Cons

Management should share its strategy with everyone

Worked for General Dynamics C4 Systems? Contribute to the Community!