General Dynamics C4 Systems

Updated January 29, 2015
2.8

General Dynamics C4 Systems President Chris Marzilli
Chris Marzilli

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent since producing anything is largely irrelevant (in 22 reviews)

• Some very good people down in the ranks -- talented and care about what they're doing (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems out-of-touch with the common workers/engineers (in 24 reviews)

• There is an inherent "good ol' boys" network in senior management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed working for GD

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for. Interesting work and very competent co-workers. It felt like there was a real commitment to the mission.

Cons

Not many. Maybe lack of communication from some of the management.

Strong Company Pulling Through

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding work. I feel like my job has a direct impact on the company's mission and goals. I know that others in the company also feel that their work contributes directly to the needs of the warfighter, that what their doing saves lives. I'm very satisfied with my work when I go home at the end of the day, and that's a great feeling.

Cons

This is a big company, and with a big company comes a lot of management. Though the company has had to restructure, they have done so to make the business more efficient. Many complain about that change, but I see it as business-is-business. What are you going to do? All companies behave that way, they're simply looking to protect their future.

Be honest and open with your employees, they can take it. It's when you're quiet that they fill in the gaps with rumors and horrible comments.

Big ship....tiny rudder !

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits and compensation are above average. I didn't appreciate that until I started looking for another job. I enjoyed working on projects that directly helped the war fighter. Motorola / General Dynamics has a proud heritage of delivering top quality products to the military.

Cons

Like all big corporations there are policies, politics and procedures that seem to get in the way of simply doing a great job. This can be especially frustrating when trying to meet or exceed cost and schedule requirements.

Become more agile by pushing decision making to the lowest level possible. Trust your employees.

General Dynamics C4 Systems Response

Aug 11, 2014HR Operations

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with your benefits. We take your comments and advice seriously and will be sure to share them with executive staff anonymously ... More

Good DoD Contracting company that is suffering with the loss of DoD contacts.

Current Employee - Security Engineer
    Current Employee - Security Engineer

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company provides a 9/80 work week and allows telecommuting when feasiable.

Cons

Right now DoD contracting is at a low and therfore work is not plentiful.

Love working here

Current Employee - Operations Senior in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Senior in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Good Salary and oportunity for advancement

Cons

It takes a long time to be promoted

Keep up the good work

Great job until 2010. Layoffs for 4 years; projects ending, down turn in economy. Manuf. work coming July 2015.

Current Employee - Technician in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technician in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Pay, good benefits, good staff, good time off. Health & safety are good. Fitness club on site. Flex hours and the ability to work around family issues when they arise. Great place to work.

Cons

HR can make your life difficult for a long time if you EVER have a problem with a manager. Dated facilities. Even after all the layoffs, there is still a lot of poor management left running the show? Paying accounts on time. Net 30 days is often 120 days! Putting managers in charge who have poor people skills, poor business skills and so on.

Dump the dead wood managers and others please. Instead of thinking ONLY of the % profit per year, perhaps think about retaining manufacturing abilities and a dedicated staff. Stop blowing the $$ on stupid projects internally. Upgrading equipment would help keep GDC a float in the future. Now, I don't know

Good Opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The rich processes and deep talent pool offers a great working atmosphere for younger employees to learn and grow. The time off is generous and the benefits are appropriate.

Cons

This business segment is very dependent upon the defense sector. If defense dollars dry up this is an at-risk place to be when budgets are cut.

Gaining momentum after some hard years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The work I do directly benefits Soldiers, it is the reason i come in every day. Salary/benefits are comparable to other like-companies. The company seems to be making forward progress after almost five really ugly years.

Cons

Little transparency, employees only engage with management when an executive memo comes out, Layoffs seem to have declined, although we all remain on high-alert for our manager to arrive at our cube with the HR rep.

Trust your employees with the vision going forward, stove-piping information, a little here and a little there doesn't improve morale or the belief that C4 will survive.

General Dynamics C4 Systems Response

Jun 6, 2014HR Operations

Thank you for your honest feedback. You're right, government cuts have meant that the past several years have been hard, but we are working even harder to ensure a sustainable future for the company ... More

Nice but big company

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics C4 Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Worked in small branch, very tight group interesting projects. GD corporate had decent support. Pay was good. Good group of coworkers for the most part. I enjoyed my time there.

Cons

Was a third party contractor so did not have security or benefits. Sometimes the slow response of the large company would hurt productivity.

Keep open dialogue

Tough times at the moment but a solid company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Great products and systems that save lives and help our heroes do their jobs more effectively

Cons

In midst of significant business decline that has resulted in substantial reductions in force and cost reductions

More transparency needed so employees can feel comfortable that recovery is near

General Dynamics C4 Systems Photos