General Dynamics

General Dynamics Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

General Dynamics CEO Phebe N. Novakovic

Phebe N. Novakovic

Pros
  • benefits, training, responsibility, great people to work with; team-oriented(in 9 reviews)

• The pay and benefits were incredible(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • HR and upper management are completely unaware of the male supervisors flirting with the female CSRs(in 10 reviews)

• There are a couple big time asses that somehow manage to stay in middle management despite their incredible ineptitude and lack of people skills(in 6 reviews)

Good company to start out with.

Risk Coordinator (Former Employee) California, MD

ProsThe people employed by General Dynamics are great, and always willing to share their knowledge. Every employee I met was one of the most knowledgeable in their field if not the best.

ConsManagement wasn't the strongest, several of them didn't seem happy to be there or didn't want management jobs in the first place. Some folks who were management and wanted to be there left me mystified with their decisions. Heard stories about team leads hired on after I left running things into the ground. Gentleman who became my director shortly before I left changed his attitude completely after announcing I was leaving for another company. What surprised me was months earlier he told me to move up in the industry, I'd have to get experience on different projects and I wouldn't be able to get that at General Dynamics. Raises were pretty small as well, that was part of why I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a decent amount of younger talent at General Dynamics who are ready to take the reigns or help out elsewhere, but no one wants to give them a shot. Lot of folks are getting close to retirement, somebody has to take their place. Take the time and help the younger talent grow and learn more about different areas/divisions of the company

Thankful for the job but management lacked.

Temporary Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosthe experience, the people, the benefits, the compensation, the hours, the location.

ConsHorrible HR, pointless management and some of them were highly unprofessional. Supervisors didn't know how to help. CSR knew more about what we did than the actual supervisors. The training could have been better and they could have been a bit more selective with who they offered employment to. I couldn't help but notice the place filled with people with questionable past and supervisors and managers that lacked highly in people skills. The leadership gets a D-.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest. More considering and more selective with who you high as floor managers at the centers.

Constant Sexual Harassment

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI thought that it was an okay experience but overall I'd rather work somewhere else and spend my life doing better things.

ConsConstant sexual harassment and violation of rights as a human being. I would recommend not abusing future employees. I think this was extremely unprofessional and I have not encountered this type of misconduct in my professional career. If you are a female please consider another place of employment. You will be subject to unrelenting sexual harassment be forewarned.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

10 years at General Dynamics

BD and Marketing (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsStrong technology and manufacturing company. Broad range of programs and capabilities. High growth in Gulfstream business jet segment. Programs include ships, submarines, combat vehicles, and business jets.

ConsThe defense businesses at General Dynamics are under stress due to sequestration and a shrinking defense budget. The surge in commercial business jets, however, is helping to pick up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue growth in commercial business jets and incorporate new technologies.

General Dynamics

ProsThe benefits are really good.. A decent pay .. a good starting point

ConsLike every where else you find those who will not give you two sense as well as those who will try their best at helping.

I find that GD really lacks in training, that their job titles do not match the job you are actually doing, positions are more segregated so when you are looking for another positions with the same title you are lacking the skills you need to acquire it.

Lacking in communications from supervisors on the job to management

Depending on what you are doing outgrowing this company is not impossible

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communications

Free meals a Plus

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Falls Church, VA

ProsAt the corporate office your meals are provided, it's a great benefit as there is nothing within walking distance.

ConsIt's an old boys club type of company.

Any port in a storm, they were hiring in the Texas mid-80s depression, a time of 17% unemployment.

Technical Writer IV (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsI worked at the F-16 Program in Ft. Worth, now Lockheed Martin. Excellent employee stock purchase plan, if you want the share certificates they will mail them to you.

ConsStodgy, good old boy ex-military mgmt. structure, it really helps to be ex-Air Force. Terrible Union relations, wanted salaried employees to work unpaid after hrs. as security guard during strikes. Strict, authoritarian corporate culture & workplace atmosphere. Salary so low I acquired a 39% raise for the exact same job relocating to CA.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike all aerospace it needs to be more of a meritocracy. Upper mgmt. needs to improve communication from the top down & across the board.

Coercive rather than collaborative culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThere are no pros to working for this company

ConsThis is not a Team environment

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the coercive executives in the organization and replace them with collaborative executives

It was terrible!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Sandy, UT

ProsThe pay and benefits were incredible.

ConsManagement didn't care about their employees. The would bend the rules only if they knew it would benefit them Micro management is immature and unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who know how to do their job instead of just guessing and pretending. Look into what type of person they are. Are they a person who loves power and will take advantage of people? Or are they a great leader who would do right and ensure a positive environment?

Great company to work for

Finance Manager (Current Employee) Montgomery, AL

ProsI liked the people (local). Benefits are good, company values are very good and usually retention if very high

ConsUnfortunately they created a position for me as a promotion, then the powers above my boss decided there wasn't enough revenue coming in to handle my salary so I was let go due to funding. Had I know that ahead of time, I would have stayed in my position as the Finance Manager.

Worked for General Dynamics? Contribute to the Community!