General Dynamics Electric Boat

www.gdeb.com

General Dynamics Electric Boat Reviews in Connecticut

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Jeffrey S. Geiger

Pros
  • It's also a stable industry with good job security(in 7 reviews)

• There is a rotation program that lets an employee work various jobs in different departments(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance depends on who your supervisor is and what department you are in: it could go either way(in 4 reviews)

• need 20 years to get any real vacation time(in 6 reviews)

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very easy to have pride in your work

Engineer II (Current Employee) New London, CT

ProsIt's very easy to have pride in your work. The customer has their requirements and each discipline has their own requirements and its up to each individual team member to balance all of those with their own.

ConsSenior management may have lost perspective on what employees need and want. Also, a few people will do things like go to lunch when they shouldn't which ends up affecting everyone with a company-wide policy change (which is still better than if that same problem had been found by the Navy instead of an internal audit, but still)

Advice to Senior ManagementFIX PARKING. STOP DEFLECTING THESE ISSUES.

Pretty decent place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Groton, CT

ProsPays well, people are generally friendly.

ConsVery strict working hours, salaried employees clock in and out every day. Exactly 40 hours required every week.

Good company/ bad company, depending on the department you are in and who your manager or supervisor is.

Program Representative (Current Employee) New London, CT

ProsGood work environment. Good pay. Nice, down to earth co-workers in the RANKS. Opportunity to move around if unhappy (slow process though). Decent benefits. Interesting work.

ConsBad managers are able to do unethical things without their director or HR's knowledge. People are afraid to report them to HR. Employees cannot leave department quickly if not happy, so they poison the well, and it is bad for everyone and for the morale of the remaining employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDept Managers: Don't hold employees back and then punish them if they want to leave your area for another EB area. Let them go and wish them well. Learn from your mistakes and treat the replacements better. Follow the company policy and never make your department policy more restrictive than what the president of the company wants. Treat employees with family obligations with empathy so they can raise their families properly. Parents should never have to stay at work longer than necessary, so let them take 5 minutes for lunch instead of 30 minutes each day when their families need them home. Harassing and threatening to punish a parent who needs to spend time with a sickly child is unnecessarily cruel. Immature Managers and Supervisors like this should not be in positions of power.
    HR: Find a way to monitor Managers and Supervisors who behave unethically. When a little bird whispers in your ear about a problem with a department manager and his supervisor punishing employees who apply to other jobs by making up rigid, 1940s Factory Rules just for them and not other peer employees, you need to step out of your comfort zone and intervene. It is WRONG to put your head in the sand. Think about your own families and how you would like to be treated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company is great if you have no outside interests

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) New London, CT

ProsYou will advance fast if you get into the fast-track management program and are eager to check those boxes. You'll have to work a lot of unpaid overtime, but it will be worth it with increased salary on the next merit increase.

ConsCulture favors young, up and comers and kicks to the curb employees who have paid their dues and were next in line for promotions, simply because they were over fifty and the company is worried about when they will retire. The Supervisor has so much power to make older employees who rock the boat, regret they ever said anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone is aware that a large number of employees will be retiring in the next ten years, but that does not mean you should promote people who are still green over employees who are more qualified and better choices. You also need to allow people to honor their family obligations and not favor the ones who don't over the ones who do. After witnessing an excellent, qualified female colleague in my group being kicked to the curb for being the wrong gender, wrong age and having family obligations, I have to say that some of your managers are opening the company up for big law suits with their favoritism.

Extremely rewarding job with great benefits.

Service Engineer (Current Employee) Groton, CT

ProsRetirement plan and 401k not many jobs include these two.

ConsTight spaces, promotions are going great with expedience

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining should be longer with weekly reviews, qualification with exams and oral boards. Increase management equal opportunity issues.

Great place to summer intern and potentially work.

Electrical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) New London, CT

ProsFlexible hours, as long as you get your 40 in. Overtime pay for Interns and Engineer 1 & 2. Great people to work with. My supervisor was awesome and I got along with him well. I learned a lot about the company and the systems they design. As an electrical engineer intern, I didn't really learn as much as I though I would about engineering but I did earn a lot about the how the systems work and how they play a role in the overall function of their product.

ConsFor an engineer intern, it could get very boring at times. A lot of paperwork. Not much hands on experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf accessible, having interns rotate to other departments during their internship is beneficial.

Great company terrible location

Cons1) To much Politics
    2) Location could be better
    3) Advancement/Promotions takes to long
    4) Vacation time
    5) Terrible annual evaluation system.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with what is going on with the employees. Listen and make the company better.

Great company, great experience

Intern (Former Employee) New London, CT

ProsGreat location, fun people to work with, great project exposure.

ConsNeed to pay for a decent living location in the area.

Interesting, but an old-fashioned, slow moving company.

Engineer II (Current Employee) Groton, CT

ProsThe product is interesting, most of the people are great to work with, and the New London facility is wonderful.

ConsCompany isn't remotely progressive - very old fashioned, salaried employees treated like hourly people. Work can be tedious, and lots of little issues can make for an unpleasant experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the job market improves, your 0-5 year engineers will flee in droves like they did in 2006. Don't wait for exit interviews to find out what you're doing wrong.

I had a very positive learning experience interning at Electric Boat.

Intern (Former Employee) New London, CT

ProsMany opportunities to move around within the company.
    Opportunity to meet many people at different levels in the company
    Opportunities to travel within the US and outside to various countries
    New London facility is a great environment to work in (gym, cafeteria, outdoor walking space)

ConsWork/life balance depends on who your supervisor is and what department you are in: it could go either way

Worked for General Dynamics Electric Boat? Contribute to the Community!