General Dynamics Information Technology

General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

General Dynamics Information Technology President S. Daniel Johnson

S. Daniel Johnson

Pros:
  • "The company has pretty good benefits and depending on your location, the hours may be flexible"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Very casual work environment (shorts, t-shirts as long as you're not meeting a client)"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low work-life balance, people expect you to work extra hours"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lack of communication between recruiters, security managers, etc"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stay away from this company at all cost.

Associate Specialist, Customer Service (Current Employee)
Lynn Haven, FL

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsNone. I am sorry but I can not write anything positive about this company so what I am doing right now is getting in the 20 word minimum. Thank you.

ConsTraining, management incompetent. Definitely not a First world class company. Actually this Company is closing in the emerald coast. Lynn haven FL area.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell this advice is for upper management (To Corporate). Make sure you hire people with the correct credentials and experience for First level supervision, training, managing and human resources.

Lawrence, KS Medicare Call Center-CSR

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Lawrence, KS

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsHealth benefits after 30 days. Medical insurance is paid by the company. Pay is $12.95/hr (decent income for Lawence job market). A place to make money until you find a decent job.

ConsIt's a call center. GDIT Call centers are run like concentration camps. No personal belongings allowed, ridiculous rules, everyone is treated like a criminal... Even having paper/pen at your desk is grounds for termination. Main reasons not to work here: Overall poorly run, terrible company culture, no upward mobility, no job security, constant verbal abuse from callers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the call centers a pleasant place to work, like at your other contracts. Do background checks on employees instead of hiring every bum off the street & treating us all like parolees. Better yet, spend a day working here then gauge your will to live afterwards.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good starting point, bad place to grow.

CSR tier 1 A/B/DME (Current Employee)
Riverview, FL

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree health insurance, good hours, and attendance system. The hiring process is very easy. You don't need experience so it is a good starting position in the call center world.

ConsI have been working there nearly 3 years, and I have been trained in all lines of business that is available at that sight. However I get paid the same as someone who just got hired and only trained in 1 line of business. There are no bonuses. They have a tier system so everyone in the same tier gets paid the same. They do not have tier 2 at that sight for Medicare anyways, so they are constantly stating that the people who are trained in all lines of business available for tier 1 are going to be the first to become tier 2s. This is bs, it's been 3 years it's just a way for the company to get people to do more work for the same pay. This is the company that runs 1800 Medicare, and the MarketPlace. Everyone always wonders why when they call these companies they feel the person doesn't know what they are talking about. Medicare reps get 3 weeks of training, and marketplace gets 2 weeks. Then are thrown to the wolves. You mainly learn on your own. This is why everyone gets there 2 years of call center experience then leaves for better opportunity, if you are made permanent because they only hire temp to perm.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees what they are worth, and do better employee screenings.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Talent Management Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology as a contractor

ProsInitially had some strong initiatives and solid commitment to developing the Intel space in MD. After enormous effort realized the directives were not sincere.

ConsVery much an old boy network mentality. Thinking out of the box and taking initiative was seen to be a "none cultural fit" Disappointing!

Bottom line and shareholders before employees.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's big. It offers big company perks.

ConsYou're a number. You work in another office and aren't really a part of the company. Managers don't know you and rely on federal supervisors for information. In 5 years, I have not had a single sit-down evaluation debrief with my "manager." Also, no room for growth. You're hired to do one job and one job only.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of the employees first, then your shareholders. Taking care of employees will take care of the shareholders and bottom line. While other companies incurred the cost, GDIT decided that it was best to force employees to lose PTO.

Not a bad company

Orlando, FL

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsGood people to work with, ok benefits, can work from home if need to

ConsNot a lot of growth potential

Chain of changes

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time

ProsYou can get your hours changed around sense it is open 24/7.

Consno way of rising in position

Lack of leadership, inability to make decisions and move forward make this a frustrating place to work.

Communications Associate (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

ProsIn my position, there has not been a lot of micro-managing.

ConsWork-life balance is skewed, benefits are not great though salaries are competitive but the biggest "con" is the lack of decision making.

It was a job

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology as a contractor for more than a year

Prospay was okay, people were nice

Consnot much direction or support

A continuous learning experience.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Lawrence, KS

ProsMost temporary employees qualify for insurance after a 30-day probationary period. Hours worked as a temporary employee go toward fulfilling the required hours needed to qualify for vacation whether you are a temporary, or regular, full-time employee.

ConsIt sometimes seems difficult to advance within the company. Whether you are a temporary employee, or regular full-time employee. There does not seem to be any clear guidlelines, or structure for advancement. I find that frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer clear guidelines and structure for advancement within the company.

Worked for General Dynamics Information Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Dynamics Information Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Dynamics Information Technology CEO S. Daniel Johnson. All 352 reviews posted anonymously by General Dynamics Information Technology employees.