General Dynamics Information Technology

General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

General Dynamics Information Technology President S. Daniel Johnson

S. Daniel Johnson

Pros:
  • "The company has pretty good benefits and depending on your location, the hours may be flexible"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Very casual work environment (shorts, t-shirts as long as you're not meeting a client)"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low work-life balance, people expect you to work extra hours"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Lack of communication between recruiters, security managers, etc"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I have learned a lot.

Network Technician (Current Employee)
Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Prosmost people are knowledgeable, experience and always ready to help

Consthere aren't any downsize with the company

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Very Satisfying career, great company.

Pawcatuck, CT

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 8 years

ProsProfessional, objective oriented, outstanding work environment.

ConsGov't contracts prove unstable work loads.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile trying to sustain efficiency, schedule lead times and work available to last throughout slow periods.

good place to work

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time

Prosmedical coverage, 401K program. work Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm

Consthere is not much overtime offered

Outstanding company!

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology

ProsThe management staff totally backs their employees.

ConsA temporary lack of opportunities in Hampton Roads

I enjoyed working for the company although I did not get a chance to interact with other employees.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time

ProsCompany benefits when I started although the benefits went done after my employment.

ConsBenefits went down after I started.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep getting better.

Not a place I want to advance my career

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Draper, UT

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay is decent, but not great. Room for growth.

ConsWay too bureaucratic and micromanaging. Very little human interaction from the management team. Poor management all around, poor training, poor infrastructure, poor planning, poor vision, poor implementation of everything. Way too many policies, rules, standards, etc. that will stress you out on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou try hard, too hard, but you just don't understand what it takes to produce associates who will be passionate about going to work each day. Try treating your associates like they are human beings and not just another warm body in a desk. Give them the tools (that actually work) to get their job done efficiently. Show them respect when it comes to their ideas and actually follow-through with the implementation. Focus more on the things that matter - the overall product - rather than all of the silly protocols and standards. Those things are important, but putting so much emphasis them 99% of the time leaves very little room to take care of what really matters. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you're still doing it wrong.

Some really strong capabilities...some really poor leaders...and bureaucracy to boot.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs in all places there are some highly talented and capable people and working with co-workers you care for and who care for you is definitely the best part of GDIT.

ConsAs Jim Collins quoted in Good to Great, “The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline – a problem that largely goes way if you have the right people in the first place.” Well, in the rank and file there are plenty of "right" people...but the leadership at GDIT is very weak and getting weaker. There was an opportunity in some parts of GDIT to refresh the leadership but that opportunity was missed. Most of the "leaders" have been drinking the Kool-Aid so long that not only can they not see the forest through the trees, they can't even see the trees. The current CEO/CFO appear very capable...how long they will remain is uncertain. Yet even they seem to be bystanders when it comes to recognizing and acting on necessary change in their leadership ranks. GD is a big enough company that if parts of it do really well then the company can do well overall. Unfortunately this allows ineffective leaders within GDIT to survive in spite of themselves and continue to be elevated in the organization. That is too bad for the organization as in the long-run their luck will run out and their weaknesses will eventually hurt the business and probably some really good and committed employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that nothing saps energy out of your employees more than working in an organization with weak leaders who are not held accountable, not heard from and worse of all not leading from the front. Your best employees see and feel it, your best employees stick with it while they hope and wait for change, until your best employees give up and leave. These people "were" your next generation leaders. If it wasn't for this issue I'd give the CEO high marks. But when you don't address the most critical issue of all then you haven't done what's best and right for your people and your shareholders.

What they call "change" is what the rest of the world calls "disorganized".

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Waco, TX

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsPay was decent, I had a fantastic supervisor, good sense of community when you get put with the right team, upper management at our site was lovely and did the best they could.

ConsLack of flexibility, attendance points policy, care more about the contract than the employees, holidays were sparse, blatant favoritism amongst the lower management/supervisors towards certain employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to site manager - keep the favoritism in check amongst your supervisors. Other than that, you're doing great!

Advice to both senior GDIT management and contractor (CMS) - if you're wondering why the customer service with the Marketplace is so heavily complained about, maybe you should write your contracts so that the employees are treated a little less like slaves. Also, rewrite your scripting - there's a ton of misinformation and things that the CSRs know that can't be said because they "aren't scripted".

GDIT Should Never Have Purchased Vangent Holdings

Chester, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time

ProsFriendly co-workers
Often bring in pizza or ice cream for all employees on very busy days
Call center leadership is genuinely trying to do a good job in spite of the poor HR leadership

ConsNationwide, anyone who breathes will get hired - including criminals who have access to personal information of Medicare and Marketplace (Obamacare) customers.

Nationwide, the company starts mass hirng for spike call center volume from May through November then turns right around and starts terminating people in January.

Chester HR team ignores established protocol and makes its own rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstall GDIT HR management at call center sites. Company is being run as Vangent and lacks the professionalism and culture that is found with GDIT.

Did not like the way the employees were treated, what we were told to tell consumers. Did not address problems.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Sandy, UT

ProsOver time was available, incentive given out.

ConsNot enough people to help with urgent questions, told to tell consumers same thing, re-do work with same out come.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the people doing the job, ask for ways to improve polices.

Worked for General Dynamics Information Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Dynamics Information Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Dynamics Information Technology CEO S. Daniel Johnson. All 352 reviews posted anonymously by General Dynamics Information Technology employees.