General Dynamics Information Technology

General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

General Dynamics Information Technology President S. Daniel Johnson

S. Daniel Johnson

Pros
  • Good benefits and competitive salary - great co-workers and working environment (in 28 reviews)

• Very casual work environment (shorts, t-shirts as long as you're not meeting a client) (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems oblivious to tech so middle management had to translate needs (in 13 reviews)

• Low work-life balance, people expect you to work extra hours (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

The ultimate learning experience of the overall insurance industry. Increased knowledge of how the enrollment processes.

Customer Support Agent (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe work was very rewarding for helping millions a people the ability to afford health insurance.

ConsIt was one of those positions where you had to be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to be more flexible in scheduling for employees as regarding time off.

Review as a Manager with General Dynamics Information Technology in the Customer Service field.

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) London, KY

ProsStability, vacation and sick paid leave accrual, 401K. Overall, GDIT is a decent company to work for.

ConsCompensation, upper management doesn't fully understand issues when driving results, expectations are sometimes unreasonable. The size of the company is very large. I believe that it impacts the ability to feel important in such a large industry and puts employees at a disadvantage. The upper management level employees are located in many different states. This creates a disconnect for the lower level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation should be more for the job position. External hires are hired with better compensation than internal promotions to same position.

customer service representative

Temporary Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosbenefits, work-schedule, time-off, company values

Consthere's no cons to this position

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to be at a firm that does provide benefits, time-off, fair salaries at positions that I gain knowledge and skills in

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Test Engineer Write Test Cases, Execute Test Cases and Log defects

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Warrenton, VA

ProsI am enjoying woking in current project.

ConsNew assignment is given wihout trained.

Opportunities abound for those who strive for them

Supervisor (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThere is very little out of office work with this employer as much of the tasks can only be completed on site. When you leave for the day, you leave the job behind. There is a good amount of opportunity to advance if you create a plan with your manager or supervisor and work that plan. Relationship building is key with any company including GDIT. This is a highly structured and disciplined company whose policies seem draconian in nature if you can not adapt to this environment.

ConsThe attrition rate is high as most employees seem to assume that time on the clock is their own personal free time; and approaching those employees, coaching them to comply and perform can often result with heavy pushback. There seems to be a push to fill the seat with anyone, although there has been slow change to hire those who will fully commit. There is a lack of empathy, and often that is felt throughout the CCO.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocusing on the hourly employees mindset and explaining to them that much of what we do is because of need and that sometimes involves unplanned adjustments to the employees duties. There is very little in the way of pay increases for hourly employees as those pay rates are tied to the Labor Board's determination of pay rates. Since those rates have not been adjusted in nearly five years compensation remains low. The only way to recieve a raise in pay is to advance to another position. There are little to no performance bonuses for hourly employees and performance based raises are granted as percentages; however a 2%-3% pay increase on $32k/yr means very little. A review of pay would help to offset negative feelings toward Senior Management. In short there needs to be more transparency and an increase in pay.

A great place to work

Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsOne of the best places to work because the work and off time is balanced very well

ConsPay raise increments to low

Good place to work.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Sandy, UT

ProsWonderful management and great staff

ConsNew call centerandneeds to be a bit organized

Great Company to work for but cutting back on replacement for vacant positions is hurting current workforce.

ProsGood pay and good benefits

ConsCut backs on replacement workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure there is enough people to cover all shifts.

Systems and Network admin

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat group in the Roswell Ga area. Benefits and Salary were top notch

ConsMy contract relocated to Sumter sc

Advice to Senior ManagementLand federal contracts in ATL

Very satisfied until laid off

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work with great people, if you're on a long-term contract. Benefits above average but costly.

ConsGovernment contracting is contracting and you're likely to lose your position if your contract comes to an end. Don't imagine they are loyal to you for any reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop saying that people are your most important asset. You don't act that way.

Worked for General Dynamics Information Technology? Contribute to the Community!