General Dynamics Information Technology

Updated August 27, 2014

3.1

General Dynamics Information Technology President S. Daniel Johnson
S. Daniel Johnson

Pros
  • Good benefits and competitive salary - great co-workers and working environment (in 28 reviews)

• Very casual work environment (shorts, t-shirts as long as you're not meeting a client) (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems oblivious to tech so middle management had to translate needs (in 13 reviews)

• Low work-life balance, people expect you to work extra hours (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

The ultimate learning experience of the overall insurance industry. Increased knowledge of how the enrollment processes.

Former Employee - Customer Support Agent  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work was very rewarding for helping millions a people the ability to afford health insurance.

Cons

It was one of those positions where you had to be there.

Needs to be more flexible in scheduling for employees as regarding time off.

customer service representative

Current Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Temporary Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

benefits, work-schedule, time-off, company values

Cons

there's no cons to this position

I would like to be at a firm that does provide benefits, time-off, fair salaries at positions that I gain knowledge and skills in

Major DoD Player....

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In-House and External Training opportunities.
    Relationship with Customers

Cons

"Feast or Famine" workload
    Strict budgetary controls

Better coordination between HQ & field managers
    HQ listen & implement field manager ideas quicker.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GD IT is a pretty good employer

Current Employee - Systems Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

My supervisor is very fair and a great communicator. Good Benefits. 401k Matches 3% of your salary. Dental/medical/short term disability/Vision Plan. HR very nice persons. Travel made easy. Education benefits are great

Cons

Reimbursement system a bit cumbersome. A bit cumbersome to fill out all the paperwork required before on attends a class (every large company has it's approval process, this is common).

Share new job opportunities in the company a bit more. CEO did an awesome welcome video. Have not had an opportunity to meet Mr Johnson but he appears to be a really nice person.

Great Company

Former Employee - Instructional Developer  in  Sierra Vista, AZ
    Former Employee - Instructional Developer in Sierra Vista, AZ

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

They take care of the military

Cons

Jobs are subject to contract renewal

Work with the system

Great company

Current Employee - Manager Project/Task Lead  in  Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Manager Project/Task Lead in Monterey, CA

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Work flexibility. Opportunities to advance, if you're willing to relocate. There isn't any micromanaging.

Cons

They don't provide training or allowances for education. To grow in the company you must be willing to move around, and relocation isn't supported. Minimal communication with the company.

Because many positions are contracted, it feels as if employees are separate from GDIT. Communicate with employees to gain loyalty. If employees are doing their job, they are left alone, but they can still be utilized and advanced within the company. Be aware of employees, their strengths and what they can offer to the company. Support education and those wanting to improve.

Great Place

Current Employee - Senior Logistics Analyst  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Logistics Analyst in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Great communication, easy going personalities, collaborative environment, good benefits. No one breathing down my neck

Cons

Its a big company. Easy to get lost. I work at the customers site so there is a lot of trust that I am keeping the customer happyl

Keep it up. Continue to let people grow.

Great Company with lots of potential!

Current Employee - IT Project Manager  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The company offers many jobs worldwide to choose from and has great management. Great benefits and training funds to utilize.

Cons

The pay raises are low.

Improve office culture.

Great starter company for a "fresh out of college hire".

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Alexandria, VA

Pros

I like the various office locations and government contracts, training and work-life balance.

Cons

Leadership is horrible and unethical when it comes to salary, promotions and annual reviews. I got burned by 3 different departments. As a minority; I did not feel embraced or highly respected by management. It is wise to negotiate your salary properly before investing your time into this company. Once you are in, promotional opportunities are hard to come by (unless you know someone).

Learn to listen to your employees. Be fair. Hire, promote and pay fairly across the board!

Great Office Coworkerrs!

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time

Pros

Competitive pay. Small office. Great office personalities. Very casual work environment (shorts, t-shirts as long as you're not meeting a client). Flexible work schedule within reason. Initiative is encouraged, appreciated and rewarded.

Cons

Can't work from home. Very secure environment - due to the nature of the work it's understandable.

Worked for General Dynamics Information Technology? Contribute to the Community!