General Dynamics Information Technology

Updated September 17, 2014
3.1

General Dynamics Information Technology President S. Daniel Johnson
S. Daniel Johnson

Pros
  • Good benefits and competitive salary - great co-workers and working environment (in 28 reviews)

• Very casual work environment (shorts, t-shirts as long as you're not meeting a client) (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems oblivious to tech so middle management had to translate needs (in 13 reviews)

• Low work-life balance, people expect you to work extra hours (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

My time served at GDIT/Vangent gave me experience to progress in my career at a reputable company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chester, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Experience. Time off is flexible.

Cons

Lack of professionalism all the way around, from entry level up through Senior Management.
    The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing MOST of the time.
    HR is bias to their friends.
    Policies are put in place before they are well thought out, resulting in complete chaos.

Hire professional individuals and pay them well to do their job. Let new, experienced, professional management members lead the call center in a new, positive direction.

Incompetent

Current Employee - SAM  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - SAM in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology for more than a year

Pros

Sorry, I cannot offer a single "Pro" my experience was literally, that bad.

Cons

1) The Schaumburg, IL office managed by a pot head who was having an affair with his subordinate. Upper management has been advised and has done nothing about it. What does that tell you?
    2) I had three supervisors in 5 months and each had their own way of managing the project. I had tenure over everyone when I hit the 6 month mark because the turnover was so high.
    3) My latest supervisor, before he became supervisor, informed me that his goal was to get people to quit or get fired. When I asked in incredulity "Why"? He responded, "more work for my team".
    4) Project sabotage is a constant at GDIT because of rival teams.
    The network that we had to work with is only up 1 day in last 8. GDIT couldn't keep the GD IT going was the joke.

If it wasn't so serious it would be comical.

I'm done giving advice to these incompetents.

Inexperienced in Call-Center Employee Satisfactions

Current Employee - Call Center Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company does a great job in security protocols, upholding the belief that anything that has happened to other companies could always happen to them and therefore they should always be prepared.

Cons

General Dynamics does not seem to understand that employee's are human and are required a bit of un-robotic office maintaining. No manager can make changes, no supervisors are allowed to go "out-side of the box", employee's are frowned upon for voicing an opinion. The company refuses to hire internally until all of their external options have been met first, even when they have veterans of 10+ years with great history with the company applying for the positions. They cannot seem to keep any HR representatives or keep proper and thorough company training nationwide. One site does things one way while another does it another way and the employee's newly hired or those that assist them must suffer the consequences of it.

Mangement needs to attempt to think outside of the GDIT box and try to think for themselves on what is good or bad for their employee's. Manegement needs to try and change how they handle the complaints sent to them by employees and actually look into the problems instead of filing them away and not getting back with the employee until that employee goes to them four months later to get the issue looked into again. Lastly... Hire from within first - THEN hire externally. It's a lot better for the company as a whole (don't have to train from scratch) and it shows better moral for the employee's internally to show proof that there actually is something above their positions that they have to look forward to gaining some day.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They take of there people if you are in the right division

Cons

No job opportunities outside the existing contract.

Good Company that cares for their people

Former Employee - Network Administrator  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in Washington, DC

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Benefits, 401k, health care, discounts with multiple retailers
    Good People, They care about what is going on with you.

Cons

Like most companies that bid on contracts they are trying to do more with less, while the pay is good, it is sometimes a pain with the shift schedule you work.

Good company

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

I found General Dynamics Information Technology to be an employer that provides good pay, good benefits, and opportunities to increase and augment one's skills and knowledge.

Cons

I can really think of no cons or challenges that I experienced while I was employed with General Dynamics Information Technology.

I do not like it

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology for less than a year

Pros

I had a great trainer who really had a lot of good experinces

Cons

I do not like the work environment it is not practical too many rules. You feel as though you are in a prison

Working at General Dynamics Information Technology for more than 17 years

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Diverse jobs to work on. Good lower and mid level management. Great group of people to work with.

Cons

Not knowing if we will have work tomorrow. Lack of appreciation for extraordinary efforts. The work is often long and hard but very satisfying when you get it done on budget and on time. It would be even more satisfying if more appreciation was shown.

Stop micro managing and appreciate your subordinates better. Do more to recognize the efforts of your employees. Stop taking away our benefits. Especially, something like flex time that would benefit both the company and the employees.

Great company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Kuwait City (Kuwait)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kuwait City (Kuwait)

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, Office Culture, Personal Growth, Compensation

Cons

None can really be said about this company from my view

Keep doing what you are doing

Decent Employer but wouldn't recommend to friends.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great starting point for the individual who is interested in a call center and insurance industry. Decent starting salaries. This employer teaches the great foundations to develop skills that the individual can take anywhere throughout their career. Health benefits work very well.

Cons

At the moment, I have learned the most from my job and seeking to expand my knowledge and experience. The company in general hasn't shown much interest in the individual. It seems the focus is more on meeting contractual obligations and making sure that no one does anything to compromise the gov't contract.

Off-phone time would be ideal to develop team building activities to motivate CSRs and provide them with a sense of purpose within GDIT. I notice a lot of CSRs stress on the phone and not much is done to help with the stress level at work. Because of this, it looks like most employers simply go to work just to collect.

Worked for General Dynamics Information Technology? Contribute to the Community!