General Dynamics Information Technology

Updated October 14, 2014
3.1

General Dynamics Information Technology President S. Daniel Johnson
S. Daniel Johnson

Pros
  • Good benefits and competitive salary - great co-workers and working environment (in 31 reviews)

• Very casual work environment (shorts, t-shirts as long as you're not meeting a client) (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems oblivious to tech so middle management had to translate needs (in 20 reviews)

• Low work-life balance, people expect you to work extra hours (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It has been great.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The level of experience of the staff.

Cons

It was far from home

Allow more telecommuting

I'd work here if you REALLY needed a job, otherwise keep looking

Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Investigator in Towson, MD

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

GDIT as a whole is a strong, solid company to work for. The pay is decent, I would say competitive with the industry, the benefits are also decent.

Cons

Depends on what section you work for but management can be tyrannical. Higher management and HR will conduct an "investigation" into the complaints but kill the morale of their employees by not doing NOTHING!!

Typical Government contracting company

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Towson, MD

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time

Pros

Many opportunities; most of the people are well-educated and know what they are doing. Nice work environment and location. Direct management is (in most cases) very competent.

Cons

Salaries are stagnant; some people are very over-worked, while others have virtually no work. Upper management is very remote.

Mixed emotions for GDIT

Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Functional in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Functional in Towson, MD

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well established and respected enterprise with broad range of career opportunities, both in the private sector and Government Contracting. Great and affordable benefits package, 401K (with employer match), generous leave accrual policy, decent communications from top-down.

Cons

Poor compensation rate, difficulty making upward or lateral moves due to the posting system. Recruiter department of HR are very close-lipped, lengthy (terminal) decision process, no contact if you are not selected. And the kicker, if your contract is cancelled or down-sized, GDIT will keep you hanging out for 30 days in order to not pay severance, and their idea of career assistance to re-place you within the organization is to send a list of open positions and it is up to the released employee to find, apply, interview, and hope for rehire.

I can only speak for the contract I worked on, but it has the feel of the 'old-boy' network, and if you don't gel with or kiss up to the clique, you are pretty much left to flap in the wind.

Intelligent Knowledgeable People

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Towson, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've never worked with a more hardworking and friendly group. They know what needs to be done and do it efficiently and effectively. Everyone is willing to help each other out and there a real sense of team. The experience you get will be determined by the contract you work and how well the team has been put together. Some teams work better together than others.

Cons

Working for a large company can have its drawbacks. To the very upper management I'm just a number on a page. This isn't always a bad thing but dealing with pushing through corporate red tape can be irritating.

This company treats its people like puppets

Current Employee - Principal Programmer in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Programmer in Towson, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual dress
    Work from home
    Free hot beverages

Cons

Some projects are poorly managed
    No sick time

Treat people as if they have feelings.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Towson, MD

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology

Pros

I work in the Healthcare IT division. The staff is experienced and employee turnover is low. Benefits are good, Management is good and seems to be supported by senior management. The company is stable and layoffs in my division are rare.

Cons

Salaries are fair compared to similar jobs elsewhere, but not great. I wish they had a better bonus program to reward and retain high performing employees.

Keep up the good work. You will retain more high performing employees with a better bonus program and with a salary program that favors the best employees

Good starting job for new grads

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology

Pros

Parts of the company are very relaxed and offer multiple shift times that works well for people across the spectrum.

Cons

Some people have been in the same position for many years making it very difficult for a new person to come into a team.

Have monthly or quarterly meetings with individuals to voice any issues or concerns.

General Dynamics Information Technology Photos